45acp...FNP vs. M&P

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by rainman33, Feb 16, 2010.

1. rainman33

rainman33

Here's what I already know or have read...
    M&P:
    American made (It's just a preference), extremely reliable, good accuracy, great ergonomics, 10+1 capacity, +p rated, single action, love how low it sits in the hand. I prefer the thumb safety midsize model.
    FNP45:
    American made (as well), reliable (I've read it can be finicky with certain brands of ammo, great with other brands), extremely accurate, good ergonomcs, 15+1 capacity, +p rated, double/single action, very soft recoil. I also prefer the thumb safety which allows "cocked & locked."
    I like both. The FNP is a big gun, but I'm a big guy with big hands, and this is one of the few pistols I've held that I can really wrap my hand around comfortably. I have no problem finding ammo that functions well and sticking with that. Gotta love 15+1 of 45acp. The M&P is the perfect size for all around usage, not to big or too little. It feels great in the hand. I prefer single action triggers (this one is a draw for me since the FNP has cocked & locked). Mostly I would like to hear first hand experience,especially about recoil and follow up shots. But, feel free to chime in with a suggestion or pick. Just be sure to back it up with a reason. The intended function is HD. Thanks ;)

2. RyanSBHF

RyanSBHF Senior Member

Both are good. Get the one that fits your hand better.

3. GJ1981

GJ1981 Pitying Fools

I own both but have limited trigger time with both.

Recoil - I think the M&P is a bit softer and quicker for follow-up shots. The FN does get a bit nose heavy when it is nearing empty.

The FN has an excellent DA trigger pull, but I have been favoring the consistent type of pull like the M&P or single action. I put an APEX sear in my M&P and it makes a huge difference.

I haven't had any problems with ammo in either.

I think the M&P has better sights but I also really like Novaks.

You won't go wrong with either.

4. briansp82593

briansp82593

Beretta PX4 .45.
    I shot a friends today at the range, for picking up a gun for the first time I hammered 12 into the 9&10 ring at 15 yards. Absolutely love the way it shot, soft .45 recoil, no jams out of it. Just an all around great pistol. Im going to get one for myself.

Just thought I should share.

5. fnfalguy

fnfalguy Supreme Advisor

I love my FNP-45. It's hard to beat having a full-size combat pistol, with multiple back-straps, 3 mags and a case that is as big as a trampolene for slightly more than $500. It's a very soft shooting .45, carry's 14-15 rounds and has good combat accuracy (i.e.3-4 inch groups).

6. rainman33

rainman33

Wow, just the info I was looking for. Thanks! I am surprised to hear the M&P is softer, that low barrel must make all the difference. And, I have read the FNP becomes a little unbalanced as the rounds go down range. Once again, thanks.:yourock:
    As for the PX4 storm, I looked hard at one. I don't know if it does anything more than the M&P, at least for me. But, the deal breaker is the slide mounted safety and polymer feed ramp. I'm sure it is a great gun, but it doesn't have the combination of features I'm looking for. Thanks for your insight though.:cheers:

7. Girevik61

Girevik61

Go with the FNP, the M&P is junk.

8. 82ndVet

82ndVet

Because you don't own one...?:wiggle:

I hardly ever mention recoil, because it doesn't bother me with any weapon. But I will say the M&P is very soft for being a 45. Sights are very good, and IMO does not need to be messed with, unless you opt for night sights. The 3 palm swell grips let you custom fit the gun to your hand. 30 seconds or less to change them if you have a buddy, or lady friend that is shooting with you. The trigger is a like or hate thing. I like them. Out of the box it may feel a little funny. Just perform 50-100 dry fires, then take it down and clean the shipping gunk off of it, and you'll be ready to go.

:patriot:

9. Razrbk444

Razrbk444 Sumthin' Witty Silver Member

You were run off from the mp-pistol forum for bad-mouthing the M&P and being disrespectful of people for choosing one. Are you going to do the same here, or haven't you learned your lesson?

To the OP, I have a M&P9c & full size M&P.45 and they have performed flawlessly so far. The triggers weren't the best when new, but have smoothed out nicely after some range time.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  10. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77 Thread Killer

And a $35 investment (part + shipping) will get you a new sear from Apex Tactical that will DRASTICALLY improve trigger feel and reset.

Many of the reports I've read say that it even greatly improves the M&P "Pro" trigger...which is easily better than the stock trigger.

I ordered mine yesterday...

-J-

11. Razrbk444

Let us know how it works out. I may have to order a kit for each of mine if there is much improvement over stock.

12. Girevik61

Girevik61

What ?? the M&P is Junk.

13. leadispenser

leadispenser

You are so full of __it! The M&P is one of the best units going.

14. Girevik61

Girevik61

A Glock is Superior to any M&P.

Remember the Sigma lawsuit ????

15. GJ1981

GJ1981 Pitying Fools

There is a BIG difference from stock to the Apex. I put one in my M&P 45 last weekend and it is sweet. There is still a lot of take-up, but the actual pull is about 4-4.5# I'd guess.

The reset is better but not a distinctive as I'd like...it's worth your money though.

16. Razrbk444

Cool. :thumbsup:

17. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

+1 The biggest difference is mag capacity. Other than that, both are great guns.

18. Catswold

Catswold God rules all!

Don't feed the trolls.

19. rainman33

rainman33

This one might really stir the pot, but I'm gonna through it out there. I know Taurus is a polarizing brand but with similar features and at a cost under $400, who has experience with the PT 845.

20. tx787

tx787

Are they going to make the FNX in .45 anytime soon? Would that change the decision?