Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just curious what the majority feel is the best weight bullet for self defense in a Glock 21SF. I know other variables matter but Im just curious about weight. Heavier and slower or lighter and faster. Im going back to my 21 for EDC.

·
Kwisatz Haderach in Training
4,062 Posts
Im just curious what the majority feel is the best weight bullet for self defense in a Glock 21SF. I know other variables matter but Im just curious about weight. Heavier and slower or lighter and faster. Im going back to my 21 for EDC.
Its not a "weight" thing, its an effectivety thing. Pick a bullet with a good track record, verify it in your gun, and go from there.

·
Banned
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to you both. Im set on the brands of ammo I use. My only curiosity was with weight. I generally carry the weight the round was designed for in my other calibers. I just wondered if advancements had made a different weight perform superior. I live in mid west Ga so light clothing is usually worn. Which I can conceal with a t shirt and sometimes open carry. Only mentioned it to say I only have to penetrate lightweight clothing. Of course even in 90 degree weather we have criminals wear hoodies which always catches my eye in the summer a zipped up hoodie

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I have always carried a 230gr bullet. That's the weight the 45 was made for. I have shot 185s & 200s, but the 230 was more accurate and had much less recoil.

(Carried the 230gr both on duty (Glock 21) & off duty (Glock 30), and even now in my retirement years.)
:agree:

·
JAFO
4,647 Posts
Its not a "weight" thing, its an effectivety thing. Pick a bullet with a good track record, verify it in your gun, and go from there.
This applies all day, every day to all firearms.

Reactions: Buckeye63

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
They are alot of options .. to narrow it down , check out some Gel-Tests on You Tube ..
Gel is not perfect , but it is close as you can get ..
Then buy some ammo that you think perform best and run them in your 21...

As you will see high velocity is not always best...especially in a 45acp

Good luck and keep us posted !!

·
Banned
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They are alot of options .. to narrow it down , check out some Gel-Tests on You Tube ..
Gel is not perfect , but it is close as you can get ..
Then buy some ammo that you think perform best and run them in your 21...

As you will see high velocity is not always best...especially in a 45acp

Good luck and keep us posted !!
I'm set on brands already. I've did the research you suggested and I appreciate. I was just curious what the majority of Glock Talkers run weight wise.

·
Banned
21,060 Posts
I use 230 grain. But I do believe 45 was originally
a 200 gain bullet. Then the 1911 made the 230 gr
popular. I love the big bore!! 230 grains of goodness.
I think that you are correct. The first cartridge for Browning's pistol had a 200gr bullet. The weight was increased to 230 grains in 1911.

·
Registered
19,776 Posts
A 185 grain JHP going 1050 fps has 453 foot pounds of energy
A 230 grain JHP going 900 fps has 414 foot pounds of energy

I'm pretty sure that if one hits you in the right place, the doctor doing the autopsy is not going to notice a significant difference.
For the range, I load a lot of 180 grain and 200 grain plated rounds simply because the lighter bullets are actually a few cents cheaper per round.

·
Registered
37,223 Posts
I have always carried a 230gr bullet. That's the weight the 45 was made for. I have shot 185s & 200s, but the 230 was more accurate and had much less recoil.

(Carried the 230gr both on duty (Glock 21) & off duty (Glock 30), and even now in my retirement years.)
Actually the 45acp was built around the 200gr bullet wt. I just wish more manuf offered premium bullets in 200gr.
In a full size gun, I like 230gr. In a compact/smaller gun, I like 200gr or even 185gr. Slowing the vel a bit actually improves penetration. Foot# of energy diff means absolutely nothing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts