Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Semper Fi
7,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm thinking about making a .458 SOCOM my next acquisition, but not sure yet whether to build, or buy an upper.

If I build, any suggestions on parts, especially barrel/bolt and buffer/spring? Anything quirky about building them?

If I buy a complete upper, who should I avoid?

I know some of you have one, what did you do?

And, as always, pics are appreciated.

·
Semper Fi
7,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What parts are you going with?

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Your best bet is to go with Tromix, at least their barrel and bolt. They have complete uppers as well but the barrel and bolt assembly is the important parts. They use the original reamer, do the extractor, ejector and barrel extension the way it needs to be done. They are made to use a standard carbine spring and carbine buffer or rifle spring with rifle buffer, depending on what tube you go with.

Radical uppers and barrels are popular because they are cheap, they also are by far the most problematic. But just because you pay a lot for some companies stuff doesn't mean it is right either. The .458socom is not a SAAMI cartridge so there is quite a bit of variation out there. Primarily in chamber dimensions, barrel extensions, extractors and ejectors. Plus obviously the ejecion port on the upper needs enlarged.

I went with a 16" stainless barrel and bolt combo from Tromix for $324. The chamber gauge Tromix sells matches my chamber perfect and is really nice for making sure reloads are where they should be. Upper and lower receivers are both from CMT, upper came from CMT with the port already opened up.(UPUR1A) Magpul UBR stock, ALG 15" rail, Spikes tactical BCG (M16) just swapped the .458 bolt in. Using a standard carbine spring and 3.0oz carbine buffer. Brass ejects 3 oclock every time without even touching the deflector. I blended the upper into the barrel extension to help reliable feeding. It feeds bullets with a .380" metplat no problem. Lancer magazines. GIs will work too and even Pmags (with COAL limits) but Lancers are where it is at for the .458. They go together like any other AR15.

·
Registered
23,242 Posts
What parts are you going with?
I got the radical arms bolt carrier and barrel combo on a sale. Upper receiver is a BCM and the lower is an Anderson. Basic trigger

·
Registered
6,492 Posts
I was bored, and without giving it much thought I built a .458SOCOM upper with parts from DSI in NY, and mounted it atop a Seekins Precision SP223 Gen2 billet lower.

To the average person a .458SOCOM build is an expensive endeavour no matter how you look at it, both during the build and after; parts are expensive as is the ammunition. And for what...so I could have a rainbow trajectory bottleneck big bore cartridge that converts a standard 30 round double stack 5.56x45 AR15 magazine into a 9 round single stack .458SOCOM AR15 magazine, that was used in a rifle that was determined to be of limitied use?

These rifles fill is a very small niché in regards to both users and the firearms industry. This is why they're seldom seem and only advertised by those who helped pioneer the cartridge, i.e., Tony Rumore.

My suggestion is that you consider it long and hard, weighing your purpose for such a firearm and any perceived benefit you feel you'll enjoy from it. If you think it would just be cool to own than that's ok too. 'Thruth is, I quickly sold mine and put the money I managed to recoup (that's code for; I easily lost 30% of what I spent on the upper alone) towards more ammunition, range time, and another handgun, because in reality I had way more use for them than an AR15 chambered in .458SOCOM.

I'm just throwing this out there for you to consider beforehand...your mileage may of course vary.

·
Friends Call Me "Flash"
5,256 Posts
I am a fan of the .458 Socom and I shoot a Rock River Armory complete rifle. Boy, I never really heard bashing of that cartridge, before. To me, it is perfect for its intended purpose............. as a relatively short range shoulder cannon. Whatever is hit with the .458 Socom STAYS hit!

Friend Jim shot a piggy with his .458. It was supposed to be a head shot from the front. The animal lifted its head just as Jim fired. The bullet traveled the entire length of the pig and was protruding through the skin at the rear end. It was dead right there. The bullet did not expand and a better hunting/expanding bullet would have worked better. We hunt and eat pigs here and that cartridge is perfect for the type of hunting that we do.

Socom stands for "Special Operations Command" and that cartridge is a winner for that application. Spooks equipped with a .458 Socom rifle would drop sentries in their tracks. Our experiments included SBR's and suppressed rifles with barrels as short as 10.5". The cartridge works great in those configurations!

Tromix is the best source for .458 Socom components. I have their cartridge gauge but use Lee loading dies. Tony is a first class guy!

Good loading data is found in the Lyman #50 manual and in Lyman's short book about the AR-15.

Cost is a major factor for me as a retired man and ammo for this rifle is scary expensive. I researched a lot and found some 45-70 slugs with 300 grain weight from Hornady (#4500) and Sierra. The bullets are virtually identical. Having the brass, already (Midway USA), I can load a .458 Socom for about 50 cents using H110 powder and using Large Magnum PISTOL primers. Strange but true.................. directly from Lyman #50!

The only hidden aspect of the .458 Socom upper is that the ejection port is opened up a bit. Magazines are unmodified.

The .458 Socom is not a SAAMI cartridge but there is movement in that direction.

This cartridge is a winner! Go for it!

Flash

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Tromix is the only barrel that has the chamber cut properly.

TONS on information here.....

http://458socomforums.com/
There are 6 others that are using the "approved" reamer like Tromix uses as well. The ejector, extractor and barrel extension is not the exactly likes Tromix does it though.

·
Friends Call Me "Flash"
5,256 Posts
Regarding East Texas piggies..........

The guys here put them in large coolers iced and salted for as long as 10 days, so the cooler sizes determine how large the pigs get. That meat is as good tasting as any from the butcher shop!

The guys hang the carcasses up on a tripod hoist and cut them down the middle with a reciprocating saw. I bought $200 worth of Victorinox butcher knives to help butcher the pigs but have not had a chance to do that, yet.

I load 300 grain bullets because they are cheap and they keep costs down. At the gun shop, we have used many heavy bullets, especially in subsonic rounds.

Having loaded for suppressed rifles and pistols, I want to set you right. The way to make a subsonic cartridge (below 1100 ft/sec) is NOT to take a load and reduce the powder charge until it slows down enough. That just makes it likely that you'll have a squib load.

The correct way to do that is to take heavy bullets and load with a light powder charge. I only load published recipes and there is plenty of data (again Lyman #50) for you. For example, my favorite subsonic load for 9x19 Luger, uses 147 grain bullets that travel at 800 ft/sec. It is a published load.

I didn't mean to suggest that the .458 Socom is in the class of a shotgun slug (50 yards). We have had terrific results at up to 200 yards even in subsonic rounds! Good accuracy, too!

Go for it! .458 Socom is one of my favorites!

Flash

·
Premium Member
42,344 Posts
There are 6 others that are using the "approved" reamer like Tromix uses as well. The ejector, extractor and barrel extension is not the exactly likes Tromix does it though.

Well that’s great news. Radical makes some great parts, happy to hear them using the proper chamber.

·
Banned
16,936 Posts
It is a helluva round, but drops like a rock. I looked at it awhile back the ballistics turned me off.

·
Banned
45,580 Posts
Tons of fun. Getcha one!

Reactions: faawrenchbndr
1 - 20 of 32 Posts