.458 Socom anyone

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by rlewpolar, Sep 21, 2020.

1. rlewpolar

rlewpolar

Anyone here gotten into the .458 Socom game? What’s been your experience and did you just drop the Socom upper onto a regular 5.56 lower or did you build a purpose built lower? Wondering how a regular AR lower will handle the increased recoil of this round. It’s seems like a real man stopper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

Did you see that 5.56 self defense shooting in Wisconsin? The 5.56 seemed to stop three men pretty well.

3. rlewpolar

rlewpolar

What, you don’t like heavy recoil and $3/round?

The .458 Socom has an interesting history. Was developed at the request of the special forces community in the sandbox, specifically because they were having trouble dropping combatants with one shot. Those that were high on opium were particularly troublesome, usually needing multiple rounds of 5.56. The battle for Mogadishu was quite an eye opener in the 1990s in this particular regard. No doubt overkill for us civilians battling Antifa but it looks like a hell of a good time

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    ThatGuyYouKnow likes this.
  4. vitalibertas

vitalibertas

For 10 round ban states you’re stuck in, this would be a good round to have.

ThatGuyYouKnow likes this.
  5. dkf

dkf

I have a dedicated lower for mine. Any regular AR15 lower works fine, I just can't keep a lonely upper without it getting a lower. The .458socom was designed for use in an AR15. You do not need an AR10 or some kind of hybrid to make the gun last. The recoil is over exaggerated. I load my own ammo so cost per round is not bad, especially with the cast bullets I make. A lot of companies don't do the .458socom right so they end up with issues. Tromix is the best bet for the .458socom IMO, not the cheapest but their stuff works. A lot of guys thought they were going to get into the .458 cheap and buy a cheap upper, or barrel/bolt then end up having to send it to someone to get it to run and/or buy a bunch of more expensive parts to fix it. The right bolt, extractor, ejector, chamber and BE is very important.

6. pgg00

pgg00

It is a fun thumper. Just expensive to feed

7. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Friends Call Me "Flash"

I fired many .458 Socom rifles in SBR, rifle length and suppressed form. I was pretty impressed with them and ended up with two of my own.

Let's cut the crap about recoil and cost. Recoil is about what a 12 gauge field load will produce. It's not excessive.

I reload for the .458 Socom and being a retired, fixed income type, had to find ways to reduce costs. Hornady and Sierra both make 300 grain bullets for the 45-70 and they are pretty inexpensive. They are perfect for the .458 Socom! Reusing the brass and using those bullets, I can produce the rounds for about 60 cents! Considering that the .458 Socom is a shoulder cannon, that's pretty reasonable!

The 300 grain bullets don't allow us to fully explore what the .458 Socom can do, but it provides inexpensive food for the rifle!

Friend Jim shot a good sized hog with his .458 Socom it was facing towards him and it raised its head as he fired. That bullet entered just below the head and traveled the entire length of the hog. It stopped and was found sticking out of the skin at the rear end. That rifle is a really good hog hammer!

Examine what a 45-70 will do and the .458 Socom will be much the same. The difference is that it launches from an AR-15 semi automatic rifle.

Flash

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    jk_226, pgg00 and Willard like this.
  8. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

Didn’t the US Army go through this whole drug fueled enemies thing back in the late 1890s/early 1990s?

9. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Have had one for a few years
    If you build, get a Tromix barrel and bolt.

I use a standard lower, with a carbine buffer. Mine is a lightweight build, 6.2# with MBUS Pro sights. Have a 14.7” barrel with a pinned device.

It’s a good shooter, a great deal of fun, think 20 gauge

10. Chowser

Chowser

I gave my son an AR lower for his 13th birthday and a credit card and said build what you want. He built a 16" .458 Socom rifle. I knew nothing about the .458 and asked what it's used for. he said he can use it to hunt cars. I laughed. It's a manstopper alright!

We actually have a class going this week and next with vehicles and cqb. On the last day, I'm going to ask the instructors if I can try the .458 on a few cars.

11. jbmillard

jbmillard

I don't have a 458, but Berry's Bullets has 458 SOCOM bullets for about $150/500. They are plated, 350 grains.

12. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

Better.

https://www.recoilweb.com/no-trap-doors-137684.html
    "Since we didn’t have any loading materials on hand, they pre-loaded some test ammo for us. These rounds used a 325-grain Hornady FTX slug atop 53.5 grains of IMR4198 powder. For reference, similar .458 SOCOM loadings use only 36 grains of the same fuel. Resulting muzzle velocities out of an 18-inch barrel were in the neighborhood of 2,500 feet per second. The crew at Phoenix has several other loads either already dialed in or in the works, including a 250-grain FTX bullet traveling at 2,700 feet per second and a 500-grain DGX slug that, at time of writing, had yet to be chronographed."

13. Syclone0538

Syclone0538

The .458 is probably a better round than the .450, but if I get a thumper, it'll probably be the .450. Being a straight wall, it's legal for deer a lot of places the .458 isn't, so it's becoming more common. Should be cheaper and more available.

faawrenchbndr likes this.
  14. knoxrocks222

knoxrocks222

9AAD3A8C-18DC-41A4-A914-A4E24CC38F0D.jpeg I had a .450, but I also have a rifled 12ga barrel for my 870. I got rid of the .450, and now I just use the 12ga if I need a big heavy hitter.

15. Redbullitt

Redbullitt

Tromix upper for the win. Very good stuff.

Barnes and Lehigh make some wicked social work projectiles. Otherwise, handloading regular .458 pills will keep the cost down. Brass life in mine is very good since you don't gain a lot of speed with hot loads and I stay mid level.

Adustable gas will make things much easier and let you get good function with a wider array of loadings. That said, my tromix upper runs well with and without a can. After getting the adjustable block, i do turn the gas down a bit suppressed supersonic. I hate the little puff in the eyes.

Recoil is nothing to be scared of, especially with a suppressor on there. I would make sure to get a good stock or brace though... seen a couple low quality ones degrade pretty fast.

If I can only have 10 rounds in a "good subject of the crown" state, then make em .458.

16. rlewpolar

rlewpolar

Thanks, good info from everyone. I ended up ordering a Tromix upper. Decided to go with a simple Magpul fixed stock after hearing about problems with some telescoping stocks. Also ordered some Underwoood hollowpoints and some Penetrator rounds using the Lehigh bullet.

How hard is it to reload for this round? I’m set up to reload 5.56 and 308. I’m thinking this won’t be any different. One thing is for sure, I can’t afford to launch many Underwood rounds down range. It’s probably going to cost me $20 just to zero this upper at 50 yards.

17. Deltic

Deltic

A 3 round burst should work just fine. If not repeat as needed. They can run off if you just hit the arm.[​IMG]

ThatGuyYouKnow, pgg00 and billy_56081 like this.
  18. wanderson

wanderson

So what is .458 socom factory loads going for these days?
    .300bo prices are getting up to where .458 socom was just a year or two ago.
    Say what you want about .450bm, it’s always been a cheap big bore caliber, I think it’s still starting around $1.30 a pop these days.

19. dkf

dkf

You can still get 20rds of .458socom for $32-$35, depending on what bullet you get. It is in stock several palces as I type this.

The .450bm has cheaper ammo primarily because it is a SAAMI round and has a few big name ammo companies making ammo for it. The .458soc was submitted to SAAMI the better part of a decade ago but they won't approve it. The big names don't want it approved to go against their cartridges. Even though the .458soc has not gotten SAAMI approval it has far outdone .450bm in ammo selection, bullet selection, rifle selection and parts selection. The .450 would probably be dead if it was not for certain states straight wall restrictions and some of the ammo being cheaper.

20. Redbullitt

Redbullitt

Reloading is easy as any other bottle neck I suppose. Haven't seen anything weird really. A Lyman Mdie is very handy if your planning to toss some cast... can't think of a better reason to pour your own. 4570 lever action made me start, so same idea lol.

As a plus, most places don't sell out of the big old 458 rifle bullets. Brass may be tough now, as well as primers, but ordinarily no issues. I have good results with Lil gun, but most any similar one will do well too from what I've seen.

I will reiterate that you don't need to hot rod anything here. Save your brass and use moderate loads, as very little speed is gained at the top of the pressure window.