454 Casull Rifle

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Tombstone, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Tombstone

Tombstone

I currently have a deep hankerin' for a Rossi lever action rifle in 454 Casull. It comes with a 20" barrel and would go just fine with my pistol. Anyone have one of the newer ones? If so, how do you like it?

2. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

If you want one you better jump on is as Brownell's website lists it as "Discontinued by the Factory".

That would probably be one kick-butt caliber in a short rifle.

Could always but one from Big Horn Armory. . . .
    If you don't mind paying lots of $$$$$.

One of these days I'd love to get a custom lever gun from someplace like Wild West or Grizzly. . . But it's hard justifying $3K+ for a lever gun.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    pgg00 likes this.

3. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

I don't have one of the newer ones, but a buddy of mine gave me a 16" stainless LSI Puma in .454 years ago.....I want to say around 2003 to 2005, somewhere in there. I love it. The front fiber optic sight came off, and I need to find a gunsmith to pin it back on. But other than that, it shoots like a dream. Great fireball with hot 260 grain loads!

Pum68016.jpg

pgg00 and bamabrad22 like this.
  4. JDSTG58

JDSTG58

I bought a used Rossi M92 in 454 off Gunbroker 5+ years ago. I’m not sure of its age, the owners manual was dated 2008. It was in like new condition with box and all paperwork. I paid about $350 delivered to my FFL. Like you I bought it to go with a revolver- Ruger Tokalat

Mine is a stainless steel 16 inch round barrel version with a wood that looks similar to Maple. The 454 M92 is a bit different than the other Rossi M92s. The 454 comes with a rubber recoil pad instead of the standard steel. Also the 454 version comes with a tube feed as well as the side feeding gate. I think this is the only Rossi to have both options. I’ve read that 45 Colt and .44 owners look to buy parts to make theirs like the 454.

The Rossi is a work horse. It does not have a high grade fit or finish, but mine just works and is smooth. My 454 also feeds 45 Colt without any issues. The 16 inch version is light and handy. It’s a great gun for walking in the woods.

The bad news is that it is light for this caliber and the recoil impulse is straight back into your shoulder. It’s fun and easy shooting with 45 Colt, but absolutely punishing in hot loaded 454. I’m very happy to have the 454 so I have the option, but I typically shoot in 45colt or light loaded 454. A full tube (8 rounds) of hot loaded 454 will leave you bruised.

5. Tombstone

Tombstone

You guys make me insanely jealous, I can't find one anywhere right now. Not unexpected but still I want what I want, when I want it!

6. Simi_gun_guy

Simi_gun_guy

I was watching for one maybe a year ago. Kinda like hens teeth …. When one appeared on gunboker, it would bid up over $1000 in a hurry. Big Horn looks like the best option, but I need a winning lottery ticket 1st.

Ed