Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory Airsoft gun
I have a Ruger Super Redhawk 454 Casull that I will be acquiring. The prior owner has a scope on it, but I'd like to use a red dot. I'm going to get a rail for a mount. As for ammo, I'll get some 45 Long Colt and some factory 454 Casull ammo until I get my press ready.

I am reading that the best thing to use is an Ultradot Matchdot since it has an adjustable MOA, and it can take the punishment. Anyone with long term use of one?

I have a S&W Performance Center Hunter 629 7.5" 44 Magnum, and I felt like the recoil wasn't that bad. It wasn't much worse than my 357 Magnum 640 snub nosed revolver.

I'm planning to do free handed shooting out further than what I shoot with a combat handgun. I'd also like to hunt with these.

Anyone else out there have a love for the caliber bigger than a 44 Magnum? Do you shoot with gloves or without gloves?

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
I bought a Ruger SRH 454 Casull shortly after they came out and did a fair amount of shooting it and reloading for it. It was a handful, but not as bad as I expected it to be.

My standard load for it was a 300gr Hornady XTP Mag bullet with 31grs of Win 296 and CCI small rifle primers. My velocities were consistently in the 1550-1600 fps range. That was a wickedly accurate load. Recoil was quite hard, but the sensation was totally different than shooting 44 Magnums.

454 Casull recoil is more straight back. It definitely recoils harder than 44 Magnum, but it isn't as violent a twisting recoil as 44. It's a really hard push directly back into your hand.

Reloading is a must for the 454!

·
NRA Benefactor
5,996 Posts
Do they still make 454 Casull carbines. That would make a good two gun combo. Shoot 45LC in the handgun and 454 Casull in the carbine to get the maximum effectiveness of the round.

Reactions: CDR_Glock

·
Registered
523 Posts
Do they still make 454 Casull carbines. That would make a good two gun combo. Shoot 45LC in the handgun and 454 Casull in the carbine to get the maximum effectiveness of the round.
Yes they do ,Rossi makes a nice 16 inch lever gun .but hard to find sometimes ,goes with me to bear country and when camping
Gun Rifle Firearm Shotgun Trigger

·
NRA Benefactor
5,996 Posts
Yes they do ,Rossi makes a nice 16 inch lever gun .but hard to find sometimes ,goes with me to bear country and when camping
View attachment 315388
I heard they had problems with stock cracking or maybe it was in the 460's.

I have 1892's in 44mag (One LSI and one Winchester) and they kick enough. The steel buttplates don't help. I don't know if I really want to go up to 454 or 460 in a carbine.

Reactions: Mark2Glock

·
******* Handyman
1,843 Posts
I got the Rossi 92 24" Octagon 45 colt and I shoot 300gr. XTP and it hurts to shoot with just a shirt on. You can load the Rossi easily up to Ruger / contender power which is not too far off the 454 Casull.

·
M62/76
14,415 Posts
I shot one once....wait, no I just reached out my window and smacked a mailbox driving thru my neighborhood...

Seriously, impressive round. A few shots was enough for me.

Reactions: G19 DB
1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.