close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

450 smc?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by NoJoy, Apr 22, 2012.

1. NoJoy

NoJoy

OK looks like Doubletap ammo just came out with their 450 SMC ammo. The performance looks very simuliar to 45 Super. Are they the same? What does it take for an all steel gun like a Sig P220 stainless or CZ97B to shoot this ammo?
    Thoughts?

2. Ak.Hiker

Ak.Hiker

I was thinking of running some in my S&W N frame 45 ACP/ Auto Rim. Should be about the same as a 45 Super. I would ask Mike at DT before running them.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012

3. Ak.Hiker

Ak.Hiker

We are also finally introducing our 450SMC loads! This is similar to 45 Super, but with a stronger case. It can be fired in any fully supported 45ACP with only the addition of a stronger recoil spring (20-22lb preferred).

Got this info from DT's Facebook page.

4. dougader

dougader

I'm confused. Starline 45 Super cases are very strong. Does Mike mean the 450 SMC case is stronger than 45 Auto, or 45 Super?

I have loaded 45 Super in a G21 with a 6", 4-port LWD barrel and the 45 Super case holds up very well.

5. Ak.Hiker

Ak.Hiker

From what I read the 450 uses a small rifle primer. I think the reference to a stronger case is in reference to the smaller primer than the 45 Super.

6. NoJoy

NoJoy

This is very cool. Seems like the mods for a good gun like an all steel one or a Glock with a fully supported barrel are less than what it takes to shoot 45 Super. (add heavy 20-22lb recoil spring and go). The price of this ammo is a bit steep, but about the same price as Buffalo Bore 45 Super.

7. dougader

dougader

I'm pretty sure you're going to need to beef up the recoil spring when using the 450 SMC also. I knew it took a small primer, but I believe it also operates at higher pressures than the 45 auto, similar to the 45 Super.

IIRC, the 450 SMC was just a way to market a 45 Super "copy" without having to deal with trademark/copyright restrictions held for the 45 Super by Ace Custom. Kind of like the 300 BLK and the 300 Whisper. :cool: