GlockTalk Forum banner

121 - 140 of 187 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,703 Posts
Until you forget to decock the da/sa or reach for the trigger expecting da and get sa. Not so good for new shooters or anyone not well trained with tda
A traditional DA/SA without trigger work will still have a pull as heavy as a P320, with the same (if not more) safeties in place.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I would go with a s&w m&p full size or a Glock 19/17 (probably will have to be used for that price). Since you want striker fired, I think these are your 2 best options. A ruger SR9 is also an option, but I have no experience with them. I’d probably stick with Glock or Smith and Wesson even if it means buying used. $450 should definitely get you there.

I think for a newer shooter, the longer sight radius and additional weight will be beneficial, which is why I’d stick to a full size or the compact Glock at a minimum.

Reactions: Neldon

·
Registered
19 Posts
Used glock 19 in good condition? I did pick up my canik TP9SF Elite for new off gunbroker for $385. Very compatible.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Looking for a recommendation on a first 9mm for my son. I'd like to keep the price around $400 but willing to go higher. Will be used mainly for range shooting.
The Police trade ins are the best Glock deal going. Just type Police Trade in guns and start looking. If you get him a Canik, most of them are no manual safety and a short crisp trigger, very nice. The new Ruger Security 9 and the Walther Creed along with S&W's can be had for about $350, so can a lot of the guns in 9mm that are out there. If you have Glocks, you can never have too many spare parts to make .40's to 9's and so on. There are a lot of Glock 22's for $300 and 23's for $325 Police trade in' s. Buy a 9mm barrel and then have 2 guns. Haven't had a bad one yet. Or, spend $400 for a new Glock 19 Gen 3?????? And if your a Glock guy, all your 9mm double stacked mags would be interchangeable and cheap? I just spent $72 delivered for 2 CZ 17 rd mags for my CZ P10C I paid $465 for, THE best gun I have owned to date:)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
I'm a fan of Walther but if you want to save money and buy American at the same time then I'd recommend the M&P. I think they have a new, improved 2.0 - I don't like articulated triggers but everyone says it's fine, so why not? My next gun will probably be the Walther PPQ SC, then in a couple of years I might get the Sig P365, but those are concealed carry guns. I think the ultimate range/target gun is a 5 inch Walther PPQ or its Glock counterpart, but I think they cost north of $500 if bought new.
Finally, not to get too political, but a part of every dollar that goes to [Turkish company] Canik probably goes to furthering Islam. Canik is a copy of Walther anyway, so I say why not spend a little extra and get the original rather than a knockoff? Also, if you buy from Springfield you're supporting a company that did a dirty back-room political deal that damaged our 2nd amendment rights. More on the Springfield story can be found on The Yankee Marshall on youtube.
Just bought my first gun, a Walther PPQ M2 5".

·
Registered
40 Posts
Looking for a recommendation on a first 9mm for my son. I'd like to keep the price around $400 but willing to go higher. Will be used mainly for range shooting.
The Police trade ins are the best Glock deal going. Just type Police Trade in guns and start looking. If you get him a Canik, most of them are no manual safety and a short crisp trigger, very nice. The new Ruger Security 9 can be had for about $350, so can slot of the guns in 9mm that are out there. If you have Glocks, you can never have too many spare parts to make .40's to 9's and so on. There are slot of Glock 22's for $300 and 23's for $325 Police trade in' s. Buy a
Here is a good deal on an New APX with 8 magazines and 2 extra frame colors.

https://www.iammo.com/beretta-apx-9...-trigger-safety-jaxf921.html#full-description
But they are a big gun. How small or big of a frame are you looking for?

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Used Glock G19. $400-450

New Canik. $425-450

Used Star BM. Will need a little cosmetic love, but they're available in bulk around the $250-300 mark. Single stack 1911 style pistol.

New Kahr. $425-450.

Used S&W M&P v1. $400-450

New Steyr M39a1. $400-450.

Of the above, in this order, I'd choose:

Steyr, Glock, Canik.

Just my $.02. YMMV.

·
Sir Arthur if you Puh-leeze!
1,471 Posts
Smith & Wesson SD9VE $270, no tax , no shipping.
Very durable, reliable and safe starter pistol.
They copied the Glock 19 except trigger pull long and heavy like revolvers.
Learning to shoot the long heavy pull will teach him how to shoot anything and shoot well.

·
NRA Life Member
63,408 Posts
I can find them online for less, but then I'm paying the transfer fee.
Never bought anything online other than AR-15 lower receivers. I can go buy a Glock or M&P for $400, give or take $25, any day of the week at local shops.

Reactions: Quigley

·
Registered
40 Posts
Recoilgunworx.com for Police Trade guns AND some excellent ammo deals, inventory changes constantly
Grabagun.com deguns.net preppergunshop.com tombstonetactical.com my fave for gun deals, freedom munitions.com for best ammo and all the Glock .com's for Glock stuff

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
That looks like a good deal but I have no experience with the XD series though a lot seem to like them. I would stick to American manufacturers for best warranty support and parts availability. I have read about quite a few Canik owners with broken striker pins and then having a difficult time getting them repaired.

Grabagun has the Walther PPQ M2 for $479 right now which IMO is an excellent price for an excellent pistol as maybe another option to look into.

https://grabagun.com/walther-ppq-m2-9mm-4-15rd-blk-pol-fs.html

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Everything at The Glock Store is $499.00.
Free shipping.
The only great part is that if you buy there and want to "let's say dress it up" they give you free labor and install before sending it to your favorite FFL.
Good luck.
America is Great. :waving:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Awesome purchase! Nutn Fancy [youtube gun channel celebrity] calls the M2 5 inch his Go To War "sniper pistol" because it's so excellent and accurate. You should post a thread letting us know how it shoots after you've run a few.
Wonder if that's the same Nutn Fancy I see on Tom Clancy Vegas 2?

121 - 140 of 187 Posts