GlockTalk Forum banner

2101 - 2120 of 2120 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Any idea where I can locate some 800X? Some places are saying discontinued, I hope not. Finding supplies right now is almost impossible but I will try to pick up some when available. I'll switch to that and work my way up over time. I am also looking for hard cast for max penetration. trying to summarize what I've read, there are some 215 grain flat nose that have good results for penetration. Any feeding or reliability issues in a glock with aftermarket barrel? looks like Missouri Bullet has a 20 Brinell 215 WFN they claim is good for Rowland, will 20 hold up through an animal trying to bite me? We have almost zero Grizzly, primarily concerned with wolves, cats, and Black Bear.

Edit: I see Trinan is testing the exact 215's I'm looking at. Maybe these are currently the best option available?
If there's a Bass Pro near you, try that. The Bass Pros around here suck for reloading supplies (primers by the HUNDRED???) but they don't turn over the oddball stuff, and they have a lot of oddball stuff. Varget... not a chance. 800X? Maybe. That's where I bought mine. In Georgia though.

20 Brinell is plenty hard for whatever you want to do, at least in my experience. Unless you're worried about today's modern super animals, such as the flying squirrel, and the electric eel. (Sorry; that's a joke.)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Any idea where I can locate some 800X? Some places are saying discontinued, I hope not. Finding supplies right now is almost impossible but I will try to pick up some when available. I'll switch to that and work my way up over time. I am also looking for hard cast for max penetration. trying to summarize what I've read, there are some 215 grain flat nose that have good results for penetration. Any feeding or reliability issues in a glock with aftermarket barrel? looks like Missouri Bullet has a 20 Brinell 215 WFN they claim is good for Rowland, will 20 hold up through an animal trying to bite me? We have almost zero Grizzly, primarily concerned with wolves, cats, and Black Bear.

Edit: I see Trinan is testing the exact 215's I'm looking at. Maybe these are currently the best option available?
I haven't looked for 800x for sometime as i stocked up years ago...
I figured they eventually would stop producing it as it is an old powder thats main purpose was shotgun loads.
The last powder shortage we had 800x was almost always on shelves locally...which wasnt a bad thing.
Pretty sure some local stores here have some 8lb'ers in stock ...but dont think they ship powder/primers......
Latley i have been buying online...when/if you can find it.

As Trinan said 20 BHN is plenty hard for any cast bullet.

Update on my G21/LWD .....
Spoke with LWD several times, president acted like he was going to help me out...lasttime i spoke with him....SEVERAL WEEKS ago they were supposed to get a shipping label to me to send barrel in to be hardness tested, and said if there was an issue with hardness (obviously there is) then they would proceed from there.
......not sure what is taking so long...imagine they are hoping i just go away.... i know several guys have returned barrrels they purchased from LWD mentioning my name/blow ups. Maybe if enough guys send emails ...it will get ball rolling....?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wolff and MidwayUSA have the wrong spring for a G21.
AGParms has one we can use with an extended basepad
460Rowlands seems to be the way to go with no extension.

I notice so many people have problems even with factory ammo due to mag springs in G21. Wolff springs are for 9mm even if they claim it's for a G21. G21 springs is are not as strong as a g30 spring. 45 super can be achieved with the OEM G30 mags.

Do not double spring because you will put pressure on the slide rails. It will make it harder to rack and ruin the rails and maybe even the slide after some shots, theoretically.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Noticed a few places selling LW 9 inch G21 Barrels. I purchased one. Descriptions say Hardened 416 steel, not Salt Bath Hardened. Don't know if they are Dason contracted or not.

There have been a few blow up with newer LW/AW(non Dason) barrels. I'm thinking most of those are the salt Bath Hardened ones. I talked to Irv Stone at Barsto on phone about this for some time a few weeks back (yes, They finally sent me my 7inch G21 Barrel).

Irv said, if the Salt bath process is not done right it weakens the steel, something about micro holes. He said he's pressure tested his .45 acp G21 barrels to 180,000 psi. (using a hydraulics machine or something, he sent out to have done).
The min wall thickness on mine even drilled center, is like .079 and .080, .638 thick oa side to side.
But as I have heard, the FA .SA 454 Casul has a minimum of .073 and pressures of over 73k psi on some loads.

If these LW 9inch are done right, they would make the perfect .45 super barrels. as you can have them cut to 6.5 inch or whatever and threaded to your liking. Use them on a LW Long Slide etc. $130-140

My 7 inch Barsto is much improved over the 1st one, wall thickness min was .073, not centered properly. And now is min .079, the threads are .576x28, so my Es350 brake fits snugly on it.

Irv can be slow getting your barrels, but he will get it too you. If one doesn't want to take chance with LW, and wants a barrel 6.5-7.0 inch, it's the only way to go, expensive though.
@ $468
KKM prob best choice, VERY high quality, will make barrels up to 6.2 inch in G21. Very good steel, only like . $240.
Shooting heavy bullets you will gain little from 6.2in to 7.0 inch. Maybe nothing as KKM seems to have larger bores suited for heavy bullets.

·
Registered
12 Posts
To whom it may concern,
Added a 2 port comp to my setup stated above. Double Diamond. It was the smallest quality comp i could find. I figured i didnt need many ports but want to tame the slide velocity enough. The comp is aluminum.
Unfortunately, was still too much comp. Brass was landing at my feet if not skimming over my shoulder. First i fired 78gr Liberty Civil Defense and it ran fine. From the slomo i took, brass ejected 5 ft. 185gr supers, however, didnt cycle the slide, brass floated of to my side with the 20lb SSRSA.
Swapped to factory RSA, still no good cycling, brass went a tiny bit faster but still around me.
So my guess is a lighter recoil spring should cycle 45super with brass ejecting less than 6 ft and 45acp will eject farther than that? Would 230gr standard pressure have more effect on the comp than 78gr +p?

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Counter-intuitive though it may be, springs have very little effect on slide speed. Moving mass and compensation have huge effects. Compensators work due to gas; changing the mass of the powder charge has a large effect. Changing the pressure has some effect. Using commercial ammo, well, you can't really control powder mass to tweak things.

·
Registered
267 Posts
To whom it may concern,
Added a 2 port comp to my setup stated above. Double Diamond. It was the smallest quality comp i could find. I figured i didnt need many ports but want to tame the slide velocity enough. The comp is aluminum.
Unfortunately, was still too much comp. Brass was landing at my feet if not skimming over my shoulder. First i fired 78gr Liberty Civil Defense and it ran fine. From the slomo i took, brass ejected 5 ft. 185gr supers, however, didnt cycle the slide, brass floated of to my side with the 20lb SSRSA.
Swapped to factory RSA, still no good cycling, brass went a tiny bit faster but still around me.
So my guess is a lighter recoil spring should cycle 45super with brass ejecting less than 6 ft and 45acp will eject farther than that? Would 230gr standard pressure have more effect on the comp than 78gr +p?
Lightweight bullet loads use comp more vs heavy bullet loads. 78g even at over 2000 fps with a comp might just not function right with a comp.

Take your 2 port comp and load some 230-300gs. slide speed will dramatically increase with top 45 SUPER loads. & a 24lb spring. The heavier the bullet, the less effective the comp.

Sounds like your having fun doing this testing. thanks for updates.

·
Registered
267 Posts
800X does appear to be discontinued. Grab any you see while you can...
I thought it was still popular with 10mm 44 magnums etc, along with shotgun loads.

I know the IMR 800x is not made, but though Hodgdon still makes it. owell, guess I better buy any I see.

·
Registered
12 Posts
To be more specific, I have a set up that runs reliably shooting 45 super. KKM threaded barrel, 20 pound recoil spring,I believe those are the basics of all of that I have for 45 super. I have fired both 185 and 230 grain underwoods from a stock Glock barrel before.Both ran fine and brass ejection with 230s were at max of what is ideal.
I decided to only go with 185 g for now as a carry choice. Now that I have an aftermarket threaded barrel, which is heavier, I feel that slide battering will increase due to the increased weight of the barrel. I have fired 185s reliably but I've waited the 230s until I found a comp. Which brings me to my last range event, I added a two port comp which only has two ports on the top, Glock store it wasn't specific or maybe I just didn't understand but there are two notches on each side which I thought were ports but they're not they're just grooves. This is the smallest and lightest comp I could find but it was still too effective. I fired three rounds of liberty civil defense which ran perfectly next four rounds were 185 green Underwood's and I got a failure to feed after every shot, I then switch the RSA back to the factory one, still continuing the same magazine of 16 rounds the next five rounds were 185 grand underwoods which had minor setback and I expected them to have more pressure. The first two were failure to feed, The next three rounds were followed by four rounds of 230 grain underwoods, all seven rounds fired flawlessly, I attributed this to the extra power and possibly me enhancing my grip as the new feeling of the compensator required me to get a better grip of the gun after shooting the first few.
Still disappointed with the results I loaded up 13 rounds of 230 grain underwoods, the 13 round magazine is my least reliable magazine, all shots did not load the next round, I basically had a lever action at that point. With these last shots brass was landing about 5 feet to my 5 o'clock position.
My next test will be a micro muzzle break that I ordered from a company called longshot. My goal at this point is to be able to fire 230 grain underwood 45 super Maximum slide velocity.

·
Registered
267 Posts
To be more specific, I have a set up that runs reliably shooting 45 super. KKM threaded barrel, 20 pound recoil spring,I believe those are the basics of all of that I have for 45 super. I have fired both 185 and 230 grain underwoods from a stock Glock barrel before.Both ran fine and brass ejection with 230s were at max of what is ideal.
I decided to only go with 185 g for now as a carry choice. Now that I have an aftermarket threaded barrel, which is heavier, I feel that slide battering will increase due to the increased weight of the barrel. I have fired 185s reliably but I've waited the 230s until I found a comp. Which brings me to my last range event, I added a two port comp which only has two ports on the top, Glock store it wasn't specific or maybe I just didn't understand but there are two notches on each side which I thought were ports but they're not they're just grooves. This is the smallest and lightest comp I could find but it was still too effective. I fired three rounds of liberty civil defense which ran perfectly next four rounds were 185 green Underwood's and I got a failure to feed after every shot, I then switch the RSA back to the factory one, still continuing the same magazine of 16 rounds the next five rounds were 185 grand underwoods which had minor setback and I expected them to have more pressure. The first two were failure to feed, The next three rounds were followed by four rounds of 230 grain underwoods, all seven rounds fired flawlessly, I attributed this to the extra power and possibly me enhancing my grip as the new feeling of the compensator required me to get a better grip of the gun after shooting the first few.
Still disappointed with the results I loaded up 13 rounds of 230 grain underwoods, the 13 round magazine is my least reliable magazine, all shots did not load the next round, I basically had a lever action at that point. With these last shots brass was landing about 5 feet to my 5 o'clock position.
My next test will be a micro muzzle break that I ordered from a company called longshot. My goal at this point is to be able to fire 230 grain underwood 45 super Maximum slide velocity.
Yeah, comps can change a lot about recoil & slide speed. When I was shooting USPSA, I tried to make my Glock 17 an open gun. Got a G34 KKM 5.75 inch threaded barrel, put on a huge 11 port SCJ comp. Shooting 9mm major loads with 120 bayou's at 1420 fps.
Brass would dribble out, I'd get a FTF or FTE every 16-32 rounds.
This was with a min 11 lb recoil spring, had aftermarket slide lightened. etc..Perhaps HS6 wasn't the best for that comp. I cut ports off of it, trying to get it to shoot reliable.
I cut a section of port off down to one top port... not it works with a 11 lb spring.

one needs so much powder to work a comp properly. it's why some only use 38 super comps in uspsa open. as 9mm doesn't hold enough powder.

So I think one has to tailor your comp & recoil spring to your loads for effective ejection.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I thought it was still popular with 10mm 44 magnums etc, along with shotgun loads.

I know the IMR 800x is not made, but though Hodgdon still makes it. owell, guess I better buy any I see.
Midway says it's discontinued. Everywhere I've looked online is out of it, but there were a couple of pounds on the shelf (Hodgdon 800x) yesterday at:
A Texas Girl's Guns • The Gun Shop in Liberty Hill™ • 13987 W. Hwy 29, Liberty Hill, TX 76842 • 512-778-6677

For whatever that's worth to somebody. $34/lb.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Nice, local gun shop had 1 lb of the Hodgdon ver for $24, I have two others. so I'm go for sometime.

It's the Same for Varget, no one in the USA has it online, but sometimes local stores will get it.
I am not sure 800x is discontinued, the IMR ver might been, but Hodgdon I think took it over. Not sure.

OK

Well I've read on one forum a guy did mail Hodgdon about it and they did say when supplies ran out, they would no longer make it. So you may be right.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah, comps can change a lot about recoil & slide speed. When I was shooting USPSA, I tried to make my Glock 17 an open gun. Got a G34 KKM 5.75 inch threaded barrel, put on a huge 11 port SCJ comp. Shooting 9mm major loads with 120 bayou's at 1420 fps.
Brass would dribble out, I'd get a FTF or FTE every 16-32 rounds.
This was with a min 11 lb recoil spring, had aftermarket slide lightened. etc..Perhaps HS6 wasn't the best for that comp. I cut ports off of it, trying to get it to shoot reliable.
I cut a section of port off down to one top port... not it works with a 11 lb spring.

one needs so much powder to work a comp properly. it's why some only use 38 super comps in uspsa open. as 9mm doesn't hold enough powder.

So I think one has to tailor your comp & recoil spring to your loads for effective ejection.
i think im going to save the comp for future use. Im sure i can find diffrent designs to try. I am trying to build a reliable defense, gun within the parameters of +p at the low end 45super at the high end. Im just a little under on the scale where standard 45acp is acting the way you describe your 9mm major was while 45 super, although firing reliably, could use taming of the recoil.
Part of that criteria is size, i dont want a long comp or brake sticking out, specially if its semi permanent, i had a tough time removing this comp i guess i should have held off on loctite until after testing. Luckily i only used a tiny bit. I placed the barrel end in boiling water and removed with rags by hand with crescent wrench.
Reduced power RSA os out the question. I have read there can be reliability issues returning to battery, i can totally see that happening with the steep feed ramp of the 30s. 20lbs feels right at home with this gun, even the factory RSA feels a little weak for function. I also feel there can be other issues if i increase the RSA pounds.
I think the brake i have on the way might suit my need. The one i tried tame muzzle flip, which is not an issue for me, reducing recoil even less than 10% would give we the results i need, whilst having the ability to swap to a factory RSA for target loads. IMO, im experimennting. A 38spl is my current SD gun.
Would really like to reload, i have the kit, but i got into it at the wrong point in time. Cant find primers. But now that i have a kkm barrel i am saving my 45super brass.
I dont expect much more from the 30S, maybe 1200fps from a 230gr, roughly.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just picked up a 8lb container of Hodg. Hi Skor 800x today at the Camp Atterbury Shooting range in Edinburgh, IN. they had one left. Drove 95 miles to get.
I searched around. There is a few stores who have it. If Hodgdon is not producing it anymore. Better get it now. while some are on shelves. I have 13+ lbs of it.

I will say for most ppl who can't get it, other powders would work, you can still get 1000 ft lbs from a 45 super using Longshot, 3N37, Blue Dot, True Blue, Power Pistol, Hs-6, AA7 (AA9) and maybe a few others I left out. Using 185-250 grain bullets while staying under .482 caseheads and 48k psi with a 6-7 inch barrel. 185's 200's easily, get 1000 ft lbs. And a few powders could get that with 250s

I think the moly lube helps a lot. es350 turned me onto that. It does help.

A lot of guys here like Lovex do37.1 who shoot 9mm major PF, and it compresses well

http://www.natoreloading.com/9mmmajor/

The chart shows it have less casehead than 800x and more PF (speed) meters well they say.

It may dethrone 800x. Not tested. There are two Lovex Do37's one is D037.1 and the other is Do37.2, the later slower burning.

Quickload says 45 acp. 6.2in bbl, 1.31 oal, 250g montana .375 meplet. 16.2g Lovex Do37.1 = 97% fill. 49k psi & 1422 fps/1123 ft lbs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Found a working setup for my G30S using the double diamond 2 port comp
CDS SS 14lbs RSA
Wolff 5lbs firing pin spring

Will fire 45acp to factory 45super reliably and softly.

No extra power mag springs required

I also use a reduced power safety spring, trigger is smooth

Gun ran like butter, supers landing less than 10 feet away, average for the g30s,
45acp was landing at feet

2101 - 2120 of 2120 Posts