GlockTalk Forum banner

2081 - 2100 of 2120 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
So sorry about your G3 G21 Mike! Glad you're not hurt!
Please PM me your PayPal and I'll send you a little something towards a new Glock; maybe it will start a trend ;)

Happy Father's Day and thank you for your labors!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
So sorry about your G3 G21 Mike! Glad you're not hurt!
Please PM me your PayPal and I'll send you a little something towards a new Glock; maybe it will start a trend ;)

Happy Father's Day and thank you for your labors!
Happy Fathers Day to you too!
would be great of if enough guys could give a little for another 21.
Much appreciated!!!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I'm using WCC brass due to the additional thickness, but I was reading some of ES350's posts where he recommends using small primer brass due to the thicker case web.

I found a couple hundred pieces of Federal small primer brass. It weighs a couple more grains than the WCC brass, but the walls of the WCC brass are thicker.

Which you you all use for 45 Super loads? I don't intend to load to Rowland levels. I plan to keep pushing a 260 to around 1050 fps. Or should I buy Starline super brass?
I as well as others have been running ACP brass for years without issue.

Brass is mearly a gasket to seal off gas, the Wolf barrel that popped would have done so with Super , shortened Rowland or shortened 308 brass.
The barrel is what provides the strength.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mike PM me your Paypal and I'll send you a donation to help replace the g21. I am glad that you are not injured. Was the popped barrel a new SS LWD, also known as Lone Wolf, or was it a WPA, also known as Wolf Performance Arms and is referred to as WOLF? As far as I know, these two brands are not affiliated at all.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Mike PM me your Paypal and I'll send you a donation to help replace the g21. I am glad that you are not injured. Was the popped barrel a new SS LWD, also known as Lone Wolf, or was it a WPA, also known as Wolf Performance Arms and is referred to as WOLF? As far as I know, these two brands are not affiliated at all.
Was the SS (new) LWD barrel, same manuacture as the Alpha series barrels.
Several guys that read my post has p.m.ed me that they have had blow ups with these barrels as well so soumds like quite a few of these barrels are/could be a saftey issue with even factory loads such as Buffalo Bore or Double Tap.

I will load the same load and compare to a 255 DT .... IIRC the DT produces a .478. case head in most barrels.

Thank you for donation!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Wow, Seems we at 1st contributed the Lone Wolf Failures to the Alphawolf series with flutes.
Figured the flutes may have been a issue making part past chamber thinner, and micro stress fractures from the fluting.
After reading this, it's clearly a issue with all of the barrels.

Does Lonewolf make their own barrels now, or have someone make them? They used to use Dason inc. And Dason made quality products.
I bought 2 of the 9 inch 9mm barrels last year from Lonewolf. I hope they are not the newer ones.

Darn it.. es 350, those new Lonewolf barrels are really tearing up your (and clients) guns/equipment, I'd steer clear of their products. Of course if you call them, they will deny any failures, and will claim you are running reloads.

I called them when I returned my Alphawolf 6.61 inch 45 acp// told them ppl was having blow ups.. They said they never heard of any of that, and had the highest quality standards. But they refunded me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I either emailed or called LWD a couple years back and informed them about barrels blowing up and they acted like they have never heard of it. LWD needs to get Dason under contract again. Why did LWD drop Dason or was it the other way around?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
What I was told was Dasan signed contract with GS while still under contract with LWD, breaching LWD contract.

The new barrels are made in states , Georgia IIRC.

The Double Diamond barrels sold by GS are/was Dasan manufacture.

But yeah I will not machine brakes for ANY new Lone wolf barrels!
And will not EVER have another one in my slides!
The Dasan barrels sold by LWD was the best bang for the buck buck the new ones end up costing WAY more in the end when you have to buy a new Glock!!!

·
Registered
655 Posts
What I was told was Dasan signed contract with GS while still under contract with LWD, breaching LWD contract.

The new barrels are made in states , Georgia IIRC.

The Double Diamond barrels sold by GS are/was Dasan manufacture.

But yeah I will not machine brakes for ANY new Lone wolf barrels!
And will not EVER have another one in my slides!
The Dasan barrels sold by LWD was the best bang for the buck buck the new ones end up costing WAY more in the end when you have to buy a new Glock!!!
Totally agree! I have a bunch of Dasan barrels and have shot ~45ksi loads in the without issue. I have one fluted "Alpha Wolf " barrel and the finish and chamber dimensions are crappy. Didn't even begin to try high pressure loads in the Alpha Wolf.
BTW ES350 did you receive the PayPal gift I sent towards a replacement G21?
(Maybe others can help out too? ;)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
[QUOTE="Cycletroll,
BTW ES350 did you receive the PayPal gift I sent towards a replacement G21?
(Maybe others can help out too? ;)[/QUOTE]

Yes sir, I recieved yours and R Freeman's, much appreciated , thank you both!!
I emailed LWD today telling them what happened, also told them it was reloads at Double Tap level loads.
They replied saying to send barrel,box of ammo that round came from......?? and any other damaged items for inspection along with a warranty form.
They are not taking phone calls at this time (covid) so would like to speak to someone before wasting time/$ sending it to them for them to say no warranty because of reloads.

I fired several 255 gr Double Tap loads to refresh my memory of case head measurement.....

20200624_183820.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
ES 350, thank you and others for contributing to this thread. But, I will say that you owe me a couple hundred bucks because this thread prompted me to build a long slide G21. Just finished the build and ran some range ammo through it with no comp and a light RSA, loaded up 230gr HP with Longshot to work up some loads and inspect pressure signs for my chamber.

Now, a question, much of the best results has been seen with 800X, do slower powders not show benefits in longer (greater than 6") barrels?

·
Registered
102 Posts
ES 350, thank you and others for contributing to this thread. But, I will say that you owe me a couple hundred bucks because this thread prompted me to build a long slide G21. Just finished the build and ran some range ammo through it with no comp and a light RSA, loaded up 230gr HP with Longshot to work up some loads and inspect pressure signs for my chamber.

Now, a question, much of the best results has been seen with 800X, do slower powders not show benefits in longer (greater than 6") barrels?
try AA9. Youll like it

·
Registered
11 Posts
45's still good caliber, most of those wide meplets would be great defense round esp the 250g montana with the huge .415 meplet.

You may be able to have a custom 30 lbs spring made,, your slide is going to damage your frame in no time otherwise

the 300g would work, but you would have to def worry about bullet going through person, cause it's going to.
one thing for sure if they have a std issue bullet proof vest, they are in for a bad surprize.

How did you like the 335's? I haven't shot any yet.. Yes Montana bullets are shot for their size.

I'd like to hear your casehead measurement on your 1200 fps 300g load w powder Pistol.

Thanks for the update
The spring weight won't materially reduce the slide speed. Only increased moving mass or porting will. I know it's counterintuitive about the spring, but the math doesn't lie, and the ejection distance will confirm that it matters little.

Some more comments related to the last five pages of posts...

The steel Rowland comp isn't very effective in my opinion, though to be fair I don't have any basis for comparison. See my comments of last year. I'm waiting to get an ES350 comp. Mine's now 16-18 months old; maybe they've changed the design. It's packed up for a move or I'd compare mine to the published pics. But I think the design is the same. Wicked muzzle flip with loads that are not approaching the highest loads discussed on here.

Meplat size and SD are what affects penetration in liquid media. Velocity is almost irrelevant, after a point. Garrett's testing sometimes found higher velocity led to lower penetration with his Hammerheads. With these heavy, hard-cast big-meplat bullets-- anything over 800 fps should give astounding penetration. Though my experience is with water testing and book learnin'. Some actual hunter of big critters may be able to tell me I'm wrong.

Yes, these heavy bullets don't hit to the same point of aim as regular weight bullets. A higher front sight will likely be needed, assuming you are expecting to need to aim. : )

·
Registered
133 Posts
The spring weight won't materially reduce the slide speed. Only increased moving mass or porting will. I know it's counterintuitive about the spring, but the math doesn't lie, and the ejection distance will confirm that it matters little.

Some more comments related to the last five pages of posts...

The steel Rowland comp isn't very effective in my opinion, though to be fair I don't have any basis for comparison. See my comments of last year. I'm waiting to get an ES350 comp. Mine's now 16-18 months old; maybe they've changed the design. It's packed up for a move or I'd compare mine to the published pics. But I think the design is the same. Wicked muzzle flip with loads that are not approaching the highest loads discussed on here.

Meplat size and SD are what affects penetration in liquid media. Velocity is almost irrelevant, after a point. Garrett's testing sometimes found higher velocity led to lower penetration with his Hammerheads. With these heavy, hard-cast big-meplat bullets-- anything over 800 fps should give astounding penetration. Though my experience is with water testing and book learnin'. Some actual hunter of big critters may be able to tell me I'm wrong.

Yes, these heavy bullets don't hit to the same point of aim as regular weight bullets. A higher front sight will likely be needed, assuming you are expecting to need to aim. : )
I have been satisfied with my Rowland comp. If yours is an older one, it's probably made of aluminum. I can't comment on whether or not they changed the design as I don't know. The one I purchased a few months ago is steel.
As for its effectiveness, factory 45acp 230 fmj just manage to dribble out and land at my feet. My 200gr LSWC at 1200 fps lands about 6 feet away. That was using the gen 4 factory recoil spring.
ES350 probably makes the best or certainly one of the best brakes available according to published reports of users on this site. I wasn't sure how serious I'd get with the 45 Super so I opted for the less expensive Rowland unit as a 'testing the water' option.
45Super1.jpg 45Super2.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have been satisfied with my Rowland comp. If yours is an older one, it's probably made of aluminum. I can't comment on whether or not they changed the design as I don't know. The one I purchased a few months ago is steel.
As for its effectiveness, factory 45acp 230 fmj just manage to dribble out and land at my feet. My 200gr LSWC at 1200 fps lands about 6 feet away. That was using the gen 4 factory recoil spring.
ES350 probably makes the best or certainly one of the best brakes available according to published reports of users on this site. I wasn't sure how serious I'd get with the 45 Super so I opted for the less expensive Rowland unit as a 'testing the water' option.
View attachment 805530 View attachment 805532
My Rowland comp is definitely steel. Factory .45 ACP ammo does drop the brass very close to my feet, so I'm getting similar results to you. But it has way more muzzle flip than what I'm seeing in YouTube videos of folks firing insanely hot loads, with ES's brake. My gun is a Springfield XDm 4.5", so there's that difference as well relative to others. I will say that the package is reliable, if and only if you use the Rowland-brand magazine springs, and not the Wolf +10%. At least in my case (again-- XDm).

I've had great success with 800x powder and both the MBC 215s, and the Hunter Supply 275s. I've sort of settled on the coated MBC 215s, as they do hit pretty close to the point of aim, they're cheap, and readily available. Plus, with a normal charge, they work great in other .45s. Both bullets are superbly accurate, and cut clean holes in paper.

On very much a tangent, if folks are interested in heavy weight bullets in other calibers... there's a 230 gr. .358 bullet out there from Penn Bullet. Gives you .45 ACP momentum from a .357 revolver. You can get 800 fps and above, depending on the usual factors, which really does put the power factor right there with standard .45 ACP. However, my S&W doesn't have enough elevation adjustment in the rear sight to compensate for how high those bullets hit. They do put the smack down on bowling pins though, and might be the right big-critter load if forced to carry a .38 or .357 revolver for some reason.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Trinan,,, You mentioned the coated MBC 215s. Is that Missouri Bullet Co.? Are they the grooveless? If so, could you please give some oal, powder weights, speeds, etc? How do you crimp those grooveless?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts

I haven't tried ALL suitable powders, but most of the common pistol powders I have..... 800X provides top velocities (in all barrel lengths) with all bullet weights and provides ample gas to work muzzle brake.... and at same time does it at less pressure of the ones i have tested.
Not to mention it can almost always be found during powder shortages.....

Years ago i tested #9, H110 etc
Both powders provided exceptional accuracy.
H110 while decent velocities was obtained (6.6"barrel) top velocties are not obtainable because of lack of capacity.

On the couple hundred bucks ...I owe you.....
I wish couple hundred is all this thread cost me over the years...LMBO

·
Registered
11 Posts
Trinan,,, You mentioned the coated MBC 215s. Is that Missouri Bullet Co.? Are they the grooveless? If so, could you please give some oal, powder weights, speeds, etc? How do you crimp those grooveless?
See my post of Aug 15, 2019. They are indeed grooveless. I just use the usual taper crimp, same as any other bullet. It's only the revolver bullets that have crimp grooves (like for .45 Colt). And doing a real crimp into one of those grooves will probably cause problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I haven't tried ALL suitable powders, but most of the common pistol powders I have..... 800X provides top velocities (in all barrel lengths) with all bullet weights and provides ample gas to work muzzle brake.... and at same time does it at less pressure of the ones i have tested.
Not to mention it can almost always be found during powder shortages.....

Years ago i tested #9, H110 etc
Both powders provided exceptional accuracy.
H110 while decent velocities was obtained (6.6"barrel) top velocties are not obtainable because of lack of capacity.

On the couple hundred bucks ...I owe you.....
I wish couple hundred is all this thread cost me over the years...LMBO
Any idea where I can locate some 800X? Some places are saying discontinued, I hope not. Finding supplies right now is almost impossible but I will try to pick up some when available. I'll switch to that and work my way up over time. I am also looking for hard cast for max penetration. trying to summarize what I've read, there are some 215 grain flat nose that have good results for penetration. Any feeding or reliability issues in a glock with aftermarket barrel? looks like Missouri Bullet has a 20 Brinell 215 WFN they claim is good for Rowland, will 20 hold up through an animal trying to bite me? We have almost zero Grizzly, primarily concerned with wolves, cats, and Black Bear.

Edit: I see Trinan is testing the exact 215's I'm looking at. Maybe these are currently the best option available?

2081 - 2100 of 2120 Posts