GlockTalk Forum banner

2061 - 2080 of 2120 Posts

·
Banned
548 Posts
Power Pistol is a good powder and seems to gain where others fail. I use it in 357 sig and 9mm.

Sounds like you have some stout loads for sure. What length barrel do you run? Do you use a comp?

have you measured case heads? like to know where your at on those.

Yep the heavy bullets interest me more than the lighter ones. I'ts much easier to get 1100 ft lbs from a 185g than 1000 ft lbs from a 300g. Those longer bullets eat of engine room under the bullet.

I'm sure the 185's at 1700 fps might do well as a defense round if the bullets hold up. but to me the 215-220's at 1450-1500 fps would be better defense rounds.

Where the 45 super shines is for woods defense carry vs large game at close range.
I'm not saying it's going to stop a charging PO'ed off 2200 lb Kodiak Grizzly.
I don't see any rifle really stopping it 1st shot unless it's brain/heart,spine shot.

a large black bear, normal Griz I would think you'd be better off with a 45-70 lever, but most ppl to trot the trails don't carry, and when they do, keep it strapped around back. 99% of the people never run into a charging griz or attacked. So often we find ourselves leaving that 5 lb 454 casull, 460 SW, 500Sw (or 45-70 revolver) home.. and pack a G20 10mm because plastic is so light.

so if one wants to pack a light poly gun around, might as well be a 45 SUPER/Rowmag.
Charging bears are tough. if I'm getting away from heavy metal on my side for a poly gun, I'd rather have 452 caliber and 275-300g bullets than the 10mm 180-200-220g bullets.
Although the later is no slouch itself.

The 45 SUPER is the most powerful double stack magazine REAL pistol in the world.;

Keep us posted on your progress.
Scotty, wanted to show you one configuration on my Gen 2 G20 that acts like a comp.

7164B15B-2350-457F-A337-2FC85FC29796.jpeg

What this is is my G20 frame with Zev Fulcrum trigger suite, six inch ported Lone Wolf barrel and long slide ported bull nose stainless Lone Wolf slide. When I shoot in this configuration I think I’m shooting crappy cheap target ammo when in fact I’m shooting either the hottest factory offerings from Underwood etc. The porting really does make a huge difference in a state where you can’t have a compensator.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Speaking of guide rods, I've been using the factory stock rod so far. I've had a DPM guide rod on order since May 8 but it hasn't shown up. Has anyone had experience with the company? I understand they are made in Greece.

I've been monitoring the frame for any contact from the slide and so far there has been none.
I use DPM rsa's in all of my Glocks.. 17,20,21,22,23,30sf & 43.
I had them build me heavy-duty systems for... 40s&w,10mm & 45 SUPER paired with ES-350's brakes.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
325 Posts
Thanks brother. Believe it or not I run a stock length KKM barrel. I can’t have a comp in NY state thanks to our great governor Cuomo so with every shot I’m soaking up a lot of recoil. Getting my 300 grains to smoke past 1,200 ft Sec with Power Pistol is very taxing after about a dozen shots. I use Montana Bullet Co 300’s and 335’s. They’re the shortest OAL in their class so I’m not crushing powder and causing pressure spikes. I’m at 1.27 COAL. I also load some 250 and 275 grain hardcast. But I like the 300’s. As I’ve said elsewhere much to the chagrin of some folks here I carry my wide meplat 300’s everywhere. Most folks say that’s a woods gun. Sure is, but I want the same performance in a potential street encounter. If I get a center mass shot in the breadbasket I don’t think I’ll have to do much more shooting. Not sure how a bear would react to them, but shot placement is the key. I use Starline 45 Super brass which is the best. You can barely tell you’ve shot one of those pinbusters out of one they keep their shape. I do measure case heads and OAL on every case. Here’s my Montana 300.

Thanks for the interest and support for this great cartridge. I do love my 10mm’s too but the Super is my main concern now.

45's still good caliber, most of those wide meplets would be great defense round esp the 250g montana with the huge .415 meplet.

You may be able to have a custom 30 lbs spring made,, your slide is going to damage your frame in no time otherwise

the 300g would work, but you would have to def worry about bullet going through person, cause it's going to.
one thing for sure if they have a std issue bullet proof vest, they are in for a bad surprize.

How did you like the 335's? I haven't shot any yet.. Yes Montana bullets are shot for their size.

I'd like to hear your casehead measurement on your 1200 fps 300g load w powder Pistol.

Thanks for the update

·
Banned
548 Posts
45's still good caliber, most of those wide meplets would be great defense round esp the 250g montana with the huge .415 meplet.

You may be able to have a custom 30 lbs spring made,, your slide is going to damage your frame in no time otherwise

the 300g would work, but you would have to def worry about bullet going through person, cause it's going to.
one thing for sure if they have a std issue bullet proof vest, they are in for a bad surprize.

How did you like the 335's? I haven't shot any yet.. Yes Montana bullets are shot for their size.

I'd like to hear your casehead measurement on your 1200 fps 300g load w powder Pistol.

Thanks for the update
Thanks Scotty. Before I can give you the 411 on my 300 case head measurements, do you mean the case web, right above the rebate and the rim?
I run an NDZ performance steel guide rod with a captured 24 pound spring. Where can you direct me to get a custom one?

·
Banned
548 Posts

Thanks for the update
I like the 335’s. I can get them over 1,000 ft Sec, but of course, depending on the projectile OAL, there’s only so much room for powder in a 45 acp casing. With MBW hardcast, I’m lucky that their OAL’s on the 300’s and 335’s are the shortest I could find which is great for me.

upload_2020-5-29_17-53-33.jpeg

here’s a summary of a string I cooked up with the 335’s.

·
Banned
548 Posts

Thanks for the update
Ok. Using my digital calipers on four randomly selected Power Pistol 300 gr, I got the following measurements:
1. .474
2. .473
3. .473
4. .473

Now, I’m not 100% certain I measured the precise area you mentioned so I took a picture with the approximate location of where I took those four measurements:
E9E52386-11F9-4E92-BB96-5528C68A0B0C.jpeg

See the Sharpie line? If you meant nearer to the rebate, or somewhere else let me know. Thanks

·
Banned
548 Posts

Thanks for the update
Yeah bro. I’ve searched Google high and low for a recoil spring heavier than the 24 pound one I’m running and they can’t be found. That’s seems to be the industry standard. But if you know of a place that’ll make me a bunch of 30’s I’d be in your debt. You’re right. My gun is taking a beating. Strike Industries used to make a frame shock buffer for Glocks that fit into the frame in that slot where the serial number is and it ran up like a Y up the sides of the frame. So, SI stopped making and selling them and I’ve called around everywhere and checked online and can’t find one for sale, even on EBay. So, I went on Amazon and bought some heat resistant 1/8” thick silicone hard rubber which I am going to attempt to cut to size and make a poor man’s version of that strike industries frame buffer. Of course I have to be careful that it doesn’t impede the action etc. might fire a string of factory 230 through it once I’m done to see how the rubber performs.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Ok. Using my digital calipers on four randomly selected Power Pistol 300 gr, I got the following measurements:
1. .474
2. .473
3. .473
4. .473

Now, I’m not 100% certain I measured the precise area you mentioned so I took a picture with the approximate location of where I took those four measurements:
View attachment 765228
See the Sharpie line? If you meant nearer to the rebate, or somewhere else let me know. Thanks

I measure mine just at the body by the grove, or what ever is the largest measurement on case. but not the rim itself. Right next to the rebated part where the brass is largest.
I think most do it this way.

·
Banned
548 Posts
I measure mine just at the body by the grove, or what ever is the largest measurement on case. but not the rim itself. Right next to the rebated part where the brass is largest.
I'll go remeasure. Some of the brass is brand new some once fired but all Starline .

·
Registered
7,000 Posts
That's how I've done it (but not in 45 Super since Idon't load that cartridge. Look for that area just above the web that has expanded the most. Some call that the pressure band.

Ken Waters Pet Loads is a terrific read, and he explains this method very well. A worthy addition to any reloader's library of manuals. He made a living testing and measuring case expansion to assess relative pressures. He did not use pressure testing equipment.

·
Registered
118 Posts
That Rowland steel comp should work great. Like I was saying, not sure how it compares to es350's, but I would bet they are close in performance.

As for a spreadsheet on load data. I don't have any. Just what I loaded, 800x seems to be the best for performance, but others like Longshot are close.
a 22-24 lb spring is prob best.
There are a lot of loads on here, I kinda copied them and then reduced loads and worked up.

If your aftermarket barrel has not been throated, you'll be limited to seating some of these bullets deeper in the case. And not safely get to the speeds others are getting.
the 275 HS is forgiving, you can seat them in most factory barrels at 1.25+ inch. But I doubt you'll have much freebore after that.

I would say in a factory short throat, you could get 1100-1150 fps out of those 275's with caseheads .482 and less. But it depends on barrel length some too.

If your looking for 44 mag power (1000 ft lbs)
I would have a smith throat it, (es350 throated mine), but most gunsmiths can do it, they usually rent the reamers.

You may be able to break that 1000 ft lbs from a 185-200 grain in a stock throat. (long barrel). but not with the heavier bullets 250-300+ grains
But even a 250-300 going 1000 fps is good medicine.

my KKM is throated LONG like enough so I can get 1.30 oal with a full wadcutter. I can seat most bullets ouit to 1.32 1.33 if I want. But I stay mag length 1.31 inch or less.

I ordered two dif barrels, one from KKM. you can just call them, ask for a threaded barrel for G21 and ask for 6.2 inches (that is as long as they will make 45acp barrels) for the same price $230 or so. and in my opinion is the best deal by far.

I had Barsto (Irve Stone ) make me a 7 inch 45 acp, they charged $468, when I got it, it was all out of spec. the chamber was like .635 wide and one side at thinnest part was .073 while (id to od) other side was .082.. The others I had including stock, was all .643 wide at chamber, and sidewall thicknes minimum was .081 to .083in.
Running pressures around 50k, best not to get too thin on sidewalls. most barrels I miced are .080 and .082 min

This was back in Dec 2019. I called them, talked to Irve Stone.. sent it back and never received a replacement yet. They still have my $468.
Not on here to bash Barsto. take my exp it with a grain of salt. Others love em.

I had a Alphawolf 6.61 inch.. but after reading on here. I sent it back. Not to bash Loneworlf dist. but fluting a barrel that is already very thin (45 acp) not a good idea. And fluting not only makes it thinner, but can create stress fractures from. I think around page 89-90 on here you can see where es350 blew one up. he wasn't even near max pressures.

I have a few of the older Dason Lonewolf barrels, and love them. so not knocking LW. just fluting on pistol barrels not a good idea.

I would def ,messre caseheads on your loads. I try and keep mine to .481 or less, some go up to .483. I think .482 is somewhere around 48k psi someone said. A good micrometer is best to get accurate readings. it will read dif around the case some.. use the highest reading is best.

take care

I shot some 260 gr cast and powder coated bullets through a comped M&P 45 2.0 the other day. The factory threaded barrel is fully supported.

With 8.5 gr 800x, my avg. velocity for 5 shots was 1037 fps. Accuracy was very good.

I was using fired WCC headstamp 45 ACP cases and CCI 300 primers. Fired case expansion was .478". Is this acceptable? At what point does one need to not reuse the brass or delgate it to 45 acp target loads only? What pressures do you think I was operating at?

·
Registered
60 Posts
You have potentially a low pressure 45 Super load. However your case expansion is more than I would think you happen. Try a few different 45 ACP loads and see if you just have a generously size chamber. What is your cartridge length?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I shot some 260 gr cast and powder coated bullets through a comped M&P 45 2.0 the other day. The factory threaded barrel is fully supported.

With 8.5 gr 800x, my avg. velocity for 5 shots was 1037 fps. Accuracy was very good.

I was using fired WCC headstamp 45 ACP cases and CCI 300 primers. Fired case expansion was .478". Is this acceptable? At what point does one need to not reuse the brass or delgate it to 45 acp target loads only? What pressures do you think I was operating at?
.478 isn't bad, it's not 48k, but prob 43k psi or around that. IDK, I think .482 is 48k psi.. by Rowland standards. So I was just guessing 43k psi.

Remember your chamber and throat prob not long throated... The oal of round, the barrel length has a factor... So far so good.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Haven't seen Recon-Pull in some time. Hope he's doing ok. I know from what his load he told me, using power pistol, and his velocity, he's running around 73k psi.
Running the loads he was using, with the 300g and 335's with a std throat, short barrel, not using 800x and no moly lube, Quickload said 73k psi.
I hope he didn't get hurt, I mailed him to say that was high, but he hasn't been on in some time.. A nice guy.

please do not try and replicated my loads, and assume you can do the same without the machine work & tools to do so.
My 300g loads are moly lube bullets using 800x and the barrel throat is throated long.. My barrel is 6.2 inches.

The most important factor is the long throat, 2nd is 800x and then 3rd is using a longer barrel.
Be careful, work up slow.

·
Registered
118 Posts
You have potentially a low pressure 45 Super load. However your case expansion is more than I would think you happen. Try a few different 45 ACP loads and see if you just have a generously size chamber. What is your cartridge length?
OAL was 1.150". I cast the bullets from a Lee 452-252 SWC mold. They have to be seated to this depth to pass the plunk test. I know they are taking up quite a bit of space in the case as a result. I'm sure my 800x loads are compressed. I think I will order a new mold from Accurate. They make a bullet that looks exactly like the Hunter's Supply 255 and should allow me to seat out further.

ETA: My 230 gr cast loads @850 fps result in case expansion of .474-.475"

·
Registered
60 Posts
OAL was 1.150". I cast the bullets from a Lee 452-252 SWC mold. They have to be seated to this depth to pass the plunk test. I know they are taking up quite a bit of space in the case as a result. I'm sure my 800x loads are compressed. I think I will order a new mold from Accurate. They make a bullet that looks exactly like the Hunter's Supply 255 and should allow me to seat out further.

ETA: My 230 gr cast loads @850 fps result in case expansion of .474-.475"
That OAL is a bit short, I'd try getting as much length as possible. Fortunately 800x doesn't get squirrelly with compression.

·
Registered
118 Posts
That OAL is a bit short, I'd try getting as much length as possible. Fortunately 800x doesn't get squirrelly with compression.
As cast, I can run them out to 1.170", but after powder coating them, I have to seat at 1.150"

I have a Wolff 20 and 22 lb spring on the way. Cases were being ejected a little further than I like using the factory spring, even with the comp.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm using WCC brass due to the additional thickness, but I was reading some of ES350's posts where he recommends using small primer brass due to the thicker case web.

I found a couple hundred pieces of Federal small primer brass. It weighs a couple more grains than the WCC brass, but the walls of the WCC brass are thicker.

Which you you all use for 45 Super loads? I don't intend to load to Rowland levels. I plan to keep pushing a 260 to around 1050 fps. Or should I buy Starline super brass?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I know some of you have Alpha and the new SS wolf series barrels.
SS30378 has one and has shot some big power loads from with no ill effects.

I machined a brake to be used on a SS Wolf and 460 Rowland barrels for a member here..... i ran his supplied 250 gr Montana bullets up to 1250 fps in 460 barrel/brake.

While i had reservations about testing the SS Wolf (because of the Alpha that blew last year) I decided to start lower than normal and work up as I always do.

Keep in mind Double Tap 255 gr cast runs over 1100 fps from 5.3" barrels.
The second group of 3in ladder was 10 gr 800x @1.28"oal..... the first was 1143 fps and produced a .4775 case head..... which is definetly not a upper end SUPER load.... the 2nd one produced this......
20200611_172436.jpg

20200611_174346.jpg

This is the first 10 gr/250 fired before the one that popped the barrel.
20200611_172640.jpg

All 3 was loaded at same time , charges weighed on RCBS Chargemaster, which is what I have used for all my ammo for last year or so.

So this is a RED FLAG on SUPER LOADS IN ANY NEW WOLF SERIES BARREL! SS OR ALPHA !!

I'm positive this was a heat treat issue as I always check barrels for defects such as bored/chambered off center which would result in thinner chamber walls on one side etc.

As angry as I am about my trashed Gen 3 21..... I'm relieved that it didn't happen to customer!! Or any of those reading this!!!

As I have said many times over the years a Glock 45 SUPER is a great platform for hunting/protection against big critters when set up right...which to me these days means KKM Barrel!

2061 - 2080 of 2120 Posts