close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

.45 Help II - One with a RAIL

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Big_Grumpy, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Big_Grumpy

Big_Grumpy Go Cheese!

I didn't want to impose on the other .45 help thread. I've never owned a handgun personally, but have fired a few. I've decided it's time to own. I'm looking for a .45 with a rail for a mounted light/laser combo. It'll be a night stand gun, and I think it'd be a good feature to have. I'm trying to keep it around $1K, but it seems pretty difficult.

In order, here are the criteria I'd like to meet:

1) Quality.

2) New in the box - I would like a case, extra mags, manual, and all the goodies associated with a new weapon. I want to make my own idiot marks.

3) An external safety. I just like to be able to click a safety on and off for added piece of mind.

4) A rail - I'm sold on the idea, hard. I feel it's tactically advantageous to have a light mounted on a weapon.

5) Comfort - After firing a 1911, they seem to be tough to beat here. I think I favor a narrower grip.

6) Capacity - more is better, but to me it seems a single stack mag., narrower grip for comfort edges out some of my higher capacity choices.

7) Stainless steel or polymer for longevity. I don't plan on buying a lot of firearms, and if I purchase one, I'd like it to LAST. HOWEVER, it seems I favor a heavier gun, so polymer has me kind of scratching my head because they seem lighter in general.

Here's what I have tried out and what I'm considering so far:

Fired so far:

Taurus PT1911 - Despite the ups and downs reported, when my GF and I fired this weapon at the range, we both agreed it was comfortable, and we both were really accurate with it. We had NO mechanical issues with 50 rounds. However I don't know if I can trust it fully having some shady reviews.

Kimber 1911 (sorry, don't remember the model) - To me (us) the one we fired wasn't as comfortable as the Taurus! I know that's blasphemy to some. I also experienced some horrible jamming and wasn't that accurate with it. Maybe it was mag. issues, however it was kind of a turn off for a first experience with one.

Glock 21 - Very light for it's size. It was fun to shoot, but it seemed to punish my hand more than the 1911. Great capacity. Fat grip, though. No external safety. I wasn't that accurate with it.

Springfield XD 45 - GREAT safety features that I really dig. Heavy, great capacity... fatter grip though. I didn't feel it was as fat to me as a Glock 21. I could probably get used to it. It did punish my hand a bit, too. Accuracy for me wasn't that great, either.

Considering:

Colt 1911 Rail Gun - Looks great! More pricey though.

Springfield 1911 SS with a rail - BUT now we're pushing $1,500 and I REALLY can't do that.

P220 - They look really slick - BUT NO EXTERNAL SAFETY

HK 45 - This baby really looks like the way to go for me... BUT I'm getting to around the price of a quality 1911 with a rail.

Is there any other .45 offering I'm overlooking that would meet my criteria that I should try out?

I really appreciate any input.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  2. Bowtie

Bowtie NRA MEMBER

3. tx787

tx787

If you can stomach the price the HK45 is probably the best bet for your criteria. Yes you could get a 1911 for the price but I think to truly appreciate a 1911 you have to shoot it a lot and really enjoy it, if you just want something for HD/SD I think there are better choices. The HK is very well made and very ergonomic. Extra magazines are $50 though...

I've heard the FN is an excellent value compared to the HK so I'd also suggest looking at that. You do get a few more rounds and reliability and accuracy should be about the same for your situation.

For the price a Glock 21SF is probably impossible to beat, the SF means it won't be quite as fat and it's a couple hundred less than the HK. If you are 100% on needing a safety (which is probably not a bad idea) then it wouldn't qualify. I would classify the XD the same way despite the passive grip safety.

If you don't mind the price get the HK45, if you want to spend less get the FN, if you want to spend a little less and loose the external safety get the G21SF.

4. Big_Grumpy

Big_Grumpy Go Cheese!

Hmmm. I thought the FNP-45 didn't have an external safety... Looks like I'm wrong!

Added to my list! Thanks!

edit - Thanks for the advice tx! I do want to like Glocks, but that trigger safety to me is just kind of dumb. Nothing's going to prevent it from going off it happens to get snagged on something or what not. I just couldn't be comfortable with that.

5. tx787

tx787

Well some do and some don't, I think you need one that is USG.

editL And I technically misspoke about the XD because you can get an XD45 with a thumb safety, I believe that's the only model that offers it. Same with a S&W M&P.

I wouldn't fault you on wanting the safety, just do be sure you familiarize yourself with safe handing and storing of firearms, that's always paramount. And do read the entire manual front to back, it's there for a reason.

6. Big_Grumpy

Big_Grumpy Go Cheese!

I'm not a first time firearms owner. I do have a fair amount of trigger time with my good ol' 870 "Tactical", and have gotten pretty comfortable with it.

It's all my GF's fault as she formally introduced me to firearms about 2 years ago, shooting her little .22 Buckmark. It'd be nice to actually target shoot with her though. I've been researching forums, talking to folks, visiting shops, and renting different pistols to try out in my search. I also download and read the manuals on my prospects before I even pick one up.

7. tx787

tx787

I think a lot of people would agree that's a good problem to have! Most people have to try and convince their GFs to shoot with them! If you're going to go shoot a lot then you might really like the 1911 and that might change my recommendation. The thing with 1911's is that if you don't have one you will always want one. I say give the Kimber another look, as long as they are full size they should be significantly more reliable and fun to shoot than the Taurus.

8. ranger88

ranger88 CLM

You can get the SIG P220 as an SAO (single action only) in either the carry or the full size model. I have the full size and it's a tack driver. You can find them new for $800 or less, but only one mag is included these days.

I also have the Springfield XD 45 Service Model and it is a tack driver as well. Plus, it's hard to beat 13+1 capacity with three mags, holster, and double mag carrier included. You can get the Springfield with a thumb safety. I think that the grip is very thin compared to a Glock 21. You must have really small hands as the grip on my XD feels smaller than the grip on my Glock 19. Try shooting it again if you get a chance. A definite contender in my book.

Just shot my first FNP this past Saturday. It was a 9mm, not a .45 ACP, and I was extremely impressed with it. Another contender as well depending on the size of the grip. The one that I shot was a decocker model with no external safety. Didn't know that they made a model with a safety but that's why we're here, to learn and to share information.

If it's going to be your only .45, I would recommend staying away from a 1911 as they tend to breed. My fascination with this model never seems to end.

I've got an H&K USP45(f) as well. I really liked it until I started shooting other .45's. Now it sits in the safe most of the time. Don't get me wrong, it has worked every time that I've ever fired it and is accurate. But the trigger is a mess compared to the other .45's that I have. Just one man's opinion.

Hope that this helps you out a little. I'm sure others will join in with their experiences soon. :wavey:

9. Larry V

Larry V

Sig P220 is one of the best 45's around.Da/Sa is your safety along with your finger off the trigger and your Brain. The Glock 21SF is also a great choice for the money which will leave you plenty of money for extras !!!

10. Dr. J Frame

Dr. J Frame LSWCHP +P

Im typing this out in a Chicago motel room with my H&K USP45 fullsize sitting next to me on the nightstand. I have a fairly large collection of handguns back home in MN, including 1911's, but this is the one I'd want if things went bad and a pistol was needed.

12+1 rounds. I can't even make it malfunction ON PURPOSE! I've tried limp wristing and probably 2 dozen different brands of hollowpoints. Although I never really cared for it much until installing the LEM trigger. It is awesome now. The sight radius is also longer than my 5" Govt 1911's and it literally gives target-level accuracy. No lie...when I put a paper plate up at 25yds I can put 5 rounds dead-center into it, but then I start getting so excited, with glee:), that the group opens. Still small though.
    More great choices. I'm not stuck on the HK's. I just got a good deal on my used USP.

11. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

Out of all you've mentioned, the only two I would consider would be the HK45 and Sig P220. The Kimber deserves a nod if you really want a 1911, but I prefer the other two better. The Sig P220 is now available with an external safety.

An HK USP .45 would be up your ally, but the grip is a little big and the rail is proprietary (adapters are cheap, though).

My pick out of those would be the HK45. It was high up on my "to get" list until I found a really good deal on a USPc .45. It's still on the list, just not that high anymore.

12. Big_Grumpy

Big_Grumpy Go Cheese!

Not seeing any info on the web about it. Otherwise I would give it a closer look.

Oh... that's kind of a bummer...

My head is beginning to hurt... LOL

13. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

There is info on the Sig, just look harder. Just remember that the HK45 is not the USP 45 (a lot of people seem to not know this). The HK45 has a standard rail and has an amazing grip. The HK USP .45 is almost just a slightly smaller MK 23.

14. rfd339

rfd339

Welcome, :thumbsup:. Hard part is to pick one but if your worried about the grip being thick the Fnp45 and M&p would be on the top of the list with the Kimber. Also with the Sig220 you can get Sigs slim grips to to make the grip thinner. I have them on my p220r and they make a big difference. Good luck.

15. rfd339

rfd339

16. Big_Grumpy

Big_Grumpy Go Cheese!

No, the caliber I'm sure about...

So now I have to try:

S&W M&P
    HK45 (not USP) - I hate the oversized rail, though... I don't want to add parts.
    FNP45...

Are any of these single action only by chance? Looking...

17. raven11

raven11

thats going to limit yourself to a used FNP or converting a HK .45 but both of the pistols you can carry cocked and locked so why bother?

18. tx787

tx787

Those are good choices, you've got 2 hammer fired DA/SA and one striker fired. I think you'll like the HK45 and FNP45 better than the M&P.