Glock Talk banner

45 GAP reloaders, what is the OAL you're getting for the 185gr XTP?

933 Views 11 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Taterhead
I've checked a couple different places and I keep getting 1.060" OAL for the 185gr XTP in the 45 GAP. For the life of me I don't see how they're loading em' that short. I've got mine as 1.100" and they look just about perfect with just a bit of the bullet sticking above the neck before the taper starts.
What are you guys loading the 45 GAP to for an OAL with the 185gr XTP or similar? Should I just go a head and bump em' back to 1.060" or leave em' since they seem to feed and function just fine. Thoughts?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
10,030 Posts
If they fit the magazine and feed properly, longer is always better than shorter. Lower pressure and such.

I don't load GAP...

Richard

· Registered
1,835 Posts
I don't load the GAP, but my fall-back for pistol cartridges is aways the plunk test. If they "plunk" at 1.1" and you are happy with the look and function, why worry about trying to match a shorter OAL.

· "Don't Tread On Me!"
6,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, they "plunk" just fine. I just want to load to the full 21,400 psi that's listed in the loading data to get the max velocity out of em'. Although I'm not sure how much I'll give up by loading them .040" longer, probably not much and it's just my OCD messing with me more then anything else I'd bet.
I just can't understand why they're saying 1.060", the 155gr lead is loaded at 1.100" IIRC and the same for the 200 gr HP. Crazy isn't it?

· "Don't Tread On Me!"
6,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to be content with 1.100". It fits into the mags, passes the "plunk" test and doesn't look like I've pushed the bullet too far into the case,LOL

· "Don't Tread On Me!"
6,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was surprised not to find any 45 G.A.P. data in the Hornady book.
Ditto, I've got the 8th Edition and figured it'd be new enough to have 45 GAP loading Data. Fortunately I have a really good app on my Android Tablet that gives me all the loading data for just about any cartridge you'd care to reload.

· "Don't Tread On Me!"
6,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so I was able to load it back to 1.080" OAL for the 185gr XTP but I'd not want to go any shorter at all or I'd be into the taper on the case. With the die set the same the xTreme 185gr Plated Flat Points come out 1.085" which is good since the taper is much further ahead and I could probably load them shorter but I just don't want to mess with the die so I'm just going to run them at that OAL.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.