.45 GAP Discontinued?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by AR-Tenner, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Yes

109 vote(s)
    54.2%
  2. No

80 vote(s)
    39.8%
  3. Yes, but only with better platform and ammo options

12 vote(s)
    6.0%
  1. H&K .45 AUTO

H&K .45 AUTO Gunslinger

I have never owned a .45 GAP, and don't ever plan to. I do think however, that it was a good idea, that wasn't executed to ita fullest potential. I like the idea of a .45 that fits in a 9mm pistol, and the GAP achieved that. Unfortunately, it also had terrible size to capacity ratio, and I am not sure how they could fix that without making the grip bigger/longer. If the goal is to keep a 9mm/.40 sized frame, the .45 simply loses too much capacity.

With that said, I don't think the idea caught on with enough shooters to attract much design competition from manufacturers. As a result, the GAP will likely never gain steam.

Still, I don't like to hear of any quality made firearm being discontinued, and the Glock 37/38/39 are certainly quality firearms. I am sure they have their following of fans, and I believe those folks deserve some effort from Glock to support their pistols. After all, those buyers invested in an idea Glock came up with when most others turned up their noses. Glock should at least keep those guys supplied with parts.

Thats my take.

2. jp 19

jp 19

I see the 45gap as one of them solutions looking for a problem. A 45 acp short.

slamdunc likes this.

3. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

Definitely Yay, I have 2 I use for CCW. I recently took a class with Baer Solutions with my G 37 Gen 4.

G19 DB, orangejeep06 and tuica like this.
  4. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

Speer Gold Dots are plentiful. I use the 185's and 200's.

G19 DB and tuica like this.
  5. triaxle

triaxle

I had a 37 for a while and it was a great shooter , I sold it, seemed like just a another caliber to stock . I was at a show Sat and saw a G 39 with night sights and mags I almost jumped but kept going .

6. capcap

capcap

What are the GAP specific parts? I own all three GAPs, maybe I need to buy some spare parts?

7. Ranger357

Ranger357 Just pixels

Awesome gun for “ten round” states. If I was Glock I’d keep it around just in case...

gatorboy, Mr Meeseeks and tuica like this.
  8. tuica

tuica

I have all three Glock models. Yes, I could see larger capacity magazines, but enjoy the compact 45 caliber cartridge design. And have had no difficulty finding online ammo sources.

Like I’ve said previously on GT, nice to be living in the Golden Age of newer defensive handgun cartridges. .45GAP; 10mm; .40 S&W; .357 SIG. Appreciate the choices, folks.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  9. TacticalDesire

TacticalDesire

American Eagle is $140 MORE per case than it is for 45ACP. GAP has its advantages, but the only way to make it even remotely viable is to reload. Which is an investment in itself.

There's too many plug and play options in 9mm, 40sw and 45acp to make the GAP viable.

Quigley likes this.
  10. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

What makes the 45 GAP viable is that it's available in a smaller gun than the 45 ACP if you're talking about a COMPACT G19 sized Glock. But if you're talking about a Smith and Wesson Shield or a Glock 36 then the 45 ACP is a better option, and a G43 is a better option in 9mm and the 40 shield is a better option in 40.

But the .40 comes a lot closer to the 45 ACP than does the 9. And being able to reload allows you a lot more practice with any caliber. It's an investment that pays for itself.

11. 1canvas

1canvas

They have been out of stock for two years and a call to Federal you will find there are no plans to do another run of HST. It’s just not as popular as it was to retool for another run when the demand for other ammo is so high.

12. tuica

tuica

Does the 9mm Luger “deserve to stick around?” How about the 9mm Kurtz? How about the .32 ACP. I have three pistols total in those calibers. I'd rather be armed with one of my three 45 GAP's.

Deserving calibers, and any product offered to consumers, will be determined by sales and use of same. Y'all have a great week.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  13. 1canvas

1canvas

For me my G37 is a house and fun gun. I bought a bunch of mags, Lawman and GD ammo to last me and I always have the option to reload. For me the gun shoots so smooth and the grip fits so good it’s a perfect balance for me. Also, with the grip size and light recoil my wife can shoot it also.

tuica likes this.
  14. dbuck47

dbuck47

I feel a little bad for voting no. Choices are always good, and I get the idea of .45 performance in a smaller handle. However, if it left I wouldn't miss it. I have never had an interest in it; it is just a .45 only shorter. I love .45 ACP however, and hope it's around for eternity. For all you who love .45 GAP, I hope they make parts and ammo as long as you need them.

EDIT- I am really voting my interest-not really whether it "deserves" to stay.

tuica likes this.
  15. 20South

20South

I don’t own it, but whats wrong with choices. If Glock wants to keep it alive for any reason whatsoever, I don't see how that’s a bad thing.

orangejeep06, fasteddie565 and tuica like this.
  16. hammerkill

hammerkill

17. 1canvas

1canvas

18. shadowlands

shadowlands

I love a nice gap.

gatorboy, Toni77 and tuica like this.
  19. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

Here are some nice HST’s for sale
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/826807890

Now I’m gonna go out to the loading room and create some GAP rounds for less than 9mm prices with my cast boolits :D

20. 1canvas

1canvas

^^^^^Thanks.

tuica likes this.