45 GAP AR using MEAN endomags?

Discussion in 'The Bull Dawgs Club' started by squirrel_slayer, Dec 13, 2018.

1. squirrel_slayer

squirrel_slayer

Pardon my first post here. I'm a long time lurker and have always liked the concept of the GAP, just never quite pulled the trigger on one. (I do regret no buying a OD G37 when buds gun shop was giving them away ~10 years ago)

Anyways I wanted to see if anyone here has one of those new endomags from MEAN and would be willing to stuff a dozen or so (what ever fits?) into their magazine. and see how they stack/strip from the mag.

That or if someone would be willing to sell/barter 15-20 cases to me I bought a endomag to test the theory myself. I'm a hobbiest machinist and actually working on a DI 45 build currently on a angstadt glock mag lower. However if the mean mags work i'd rather go that route in a 45 GAP as I could use it in my sbr'd lower and sell that pricey angstadt. It would also open the ability for my little brother to try one as well.
    [​IMG]
    The police trade in 37's are also on the radar especially if this worked.

orangejeep06 and tuica like this.
  2. squirrel_slayer

squirrel_slayer

hmm picture not coming through.

3. squirrel_slayer

squirrel_slayer

4. tuica

tuica

Wishing you best of luck in your project.

5. Taroman

Taroman US Army Retired

PM sent RE: cases

squirrel_slayer likes this.
  6. squirrel_slayer

squirrel_slayer

:cheers:

7. Taroman

Taroman US Army Retired

Bull Dawgs taking care of each other..

squirrel_slayer likes this.
  8. squirrel_slayer

squirrel_slayer

Managed to finish the ACP barrel today so i'm going to try and cycle a few gap dummies through it with the MEAN mags and see what happens may have to put a plastic spacer in the chamber to try. If they feed/extract decently i'll spin up another in GAP and push forward.
    [​IMG]
    Picture was taken prior to drilling/reaming the gas port and putting in the extension pin. the lightness where the gas block pad is was intentional.

orangejeep06, Taroman and Mr Meeseeks like this.
  9. Firecop203

Firecop203

An AR platform that would shoot 45 GAP. I like it. Even if it were only ACP, I would still like it.

When you mentioned DI, are you referring to direct impingement? I shoot Pistol Caliber Carbine (PCC) in competition. So far every one I’ve seen has been blowback operated.

I had to look up the MEAN endomag cause I’ve never heard of them till now. If they work as advertised, it looks promising. I only saw 9mm listed on their website. Is there a 45 option? What mag capacity are we looking at?

Tell us more.

10. squirrel_slayer

squirrel_slayer

Yes direct impingement. Ronald Williams from RWM extreme and Rudy from Macon Armory (great guy who has given me alot of great advice as well as selling me special extractors) have been making DI45 uppers/guns for years. a DI45 is supposed to shoot softer than even a .223 di, way less aggressive than a blow back 9mm and doesn't require a ton of added weight. Often standard bcg and buffers are used or even less (empty carbine buffer being common)

As for the MEAN mags and 45 my hopes is they'll work for the GAP cartridge. Here's my theory P-Mags have been known to work well with cartridges like the 450 bushmaster 45 win mag, ect.... with the endomag it should in theory feed a GAP as the length is within the same 1.169" as 9mm. Capacity is looking like 1/2 or 14-15 cartridges.

Taroman was very generous and sent me 20 cases to test my theory out. I've been busy with christmas so I'll load up some dummys hopefully this coming weekend and see if they will feed into the ACP barrel I just made. i'll machine a plastic bushing to fill the void in the chamber for the length difference.

The first bullet I want to try is the lee 200 RNFP cast bullet if these work well I'll buy it's bigger brother the 255 RNFP and spin up a gap barrel and give it a shot. I have an approved form 1 9mm suppressor that I haven't built yet that I just might have to send in a caliber change notice and build it as a 45 can.

tuica and Taroman like this.
  11. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

There are some AR platforms out there in 45 ACP, but nothing that isn't frankengunned together. I am interested from both accounts, the ACP and GAP in 45 caliber.

12. Firecop203

Firecop203

I’m currently shooting a Beretta CX4 in 9mm for PCC competition. I’m trying to find a suitable bullet that would be effective on bowling pins. RN jacketed bullets penetrate more than knock down. Jacketed Hollow points are a little better, but still lacking. I’m getting ready to experiment with some coated lead bullets. Hopefully when I make the switch from jacketed to lead, I can do so without leading in the barrel.

I think a 45 with good expansion would be great. Beretta also makes a CX4 in 45 caliber, but the magazines are insanely expensive.

13. BobR1

BobR1

Looks like we should be about due for another report.

Bob R

14. G21H30

G21H30

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    glock_collector likes this.
  15. G21H30

G21H30

They both make a very compact package.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  16. Firecop203

Firecop203

What’s the latest?

17. squirrel_slayer

squirrel_slayer

My bad for the long overdue report. They fit in the mag with the endomag but would bulge the mag something fierce so I kinda tossed it in the corner as to trying it and stuck with the glock mags. and shortly after went back to my 22 cal wildcat.

Just recently i've been working with a guy on a 9x39 project on the AR platform and we were having the same mag bulge issue so he had a friend 3d print a new follower which changed the stagger angle and mag bulge issue wen't bye bye.

This sparked the ol' lightbulb and I think If I whittled/epoxied the MEAN follower it would accomplish the same thing.

Again apologies for the long overdue update.

18. squirrel_slayer

squirrel_slayer

But on a side note I did manage to pick up a G37 so I forsee a renewed interest for the 45 GAP SBR AR ;)

orangejeep06 likes this.