Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Mr. Ayoob,
In a recent thread, http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1312387 you answered someone’s question regarding Winchester Silvertips 185 Grain .45 ACP;
“The 185 grain Silvertip was a hugely popular .45 ACP round back in the day. Today's tastes run toward more penetration than the .45 ACP Silvertip provided, but it usually expanded very well.”
I don’t mean to compare apples and oranges, ACP vs. GAP, but that raised a question for me; I have a .45 GAP GLOCK G38 with a 4 inch barrel that I carry occasionally. Right now I have it loaded with 185 grain Winchester Silvertips, they are accurate and reliable in my G38.
You wrote in the 2008 or 2009 COMPLETE BOOK OF HANDGUNS choice defensive loads that the .45 GAP was equal to the .45 ACP in 200 & 230 grain when loaded with Gold Dots, is this true regarding Silvertips in 185 grain?
I like Silvertips for their good reputation for expansion, but should I be concerned about their penetration or lack thereof?
Thanks again,

Lee Martinez, The Cream Soda Kid

·
KoolAidAntidote
5,909 Posts
I could see the Silvertip being light on penetration if working police patrol where there was a high likelihood of having to shoot through hard barriers. You don't see that much in civilian street/home defense situations.

From what I've seen in calibrated ballistic gelatin, 185 Silvertip in both GAP and ACP are pretty much the same. Ditto other "GAP to ACP" load comparisons until you get to +P .45 ACP.

Personally, when I carry my G37, I load it with Winchester Ranger .45 GAP: it shoots great in that gun, and I'm comfortable that it will duplicate the ACP version's excellent performance in the field. The most used and therefore most street proven load in .45 GAP seems to be the Speer Gold Dot 200 grain, never a bad choice.

best,
Mas

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. Actually I have some God Dot 200 grain ammunition that I just picked up. I was going to test it for reliablity, accuracy, etc. If it works in the gun, I may switch!

Again, thanks for your time.

Sincerely,

Lee

1 - 3 of 3 Posts