close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

45 colt cal rifle

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by STI, Jan 12, 2010.

1. STI

STI

I am thinking of getting one, any pro's or con's? I live in a rural location ang it would see lots of miles, it would be a tool not a collector. Price would be a consideration, but would look at anything.
    Lever action only.
    Thanks
    Larry

2. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Winchester 94 Trapper.

3. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

I've always leaned to the Marlin 1894's.

I suppose if there's a "con" to getting a lever gun in .45 Colt, it's that the cartridge has a pretty small rim (compared to a .44 mag, for example), and some have had trouble with extraction.

That... and the fact the trajectory is going to be similar to peeing off a cliff. :supergrin:

I have a plain jane 1894 in .44 mag, and it's a great brush buster / truck gun.

Here's a writeup I did.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005144

4. Mongosafari

Mongosafari El diablo verde

Ditto on the Marlin 1994. I have one in 44 Rem Mag also.
    Years ago I installed Ashley Outdoors Ghost Ring Sight System and the scout mount in case I ever found a red dot sight or low power scout optic that I liked (never did). It's a rugged beater truck gun. This Marlin is a companion to my Ruger Redhawk so I can share ammo between the two.

I would highly recommend a Marlin in 45 LC for you. The ballistics will be slightly better than a revolver. Think of the Marlin as a revolver with a 20" barrel and great sight radius for better accuracy.

5. EL COLONEL

EL COLONEL

Unless you are set on 45 , i would go with a 444marlin ..............:wavey:

6. NW-Warlord

NW-Warlord

I am partial to the 45-70 1895G, awesome gun. That said, I think the 45 Colt 1894's are pretty swell too. But if you dont have a reason to not get the .44Mag, I would recommend that. Either way you go Marlin makes great lever guns at a great price.

The Winchester guns are good also, but they are more expensive, and I am no fan of the Winchester action or trigger mechanism.

7. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

8. Ronaldo

Ronaldo Ancient Member Millennium Member

I've been sitting here at my casa all week drooling and going over the budget. My favorite toy store just received a pair of 44 mag Marlin lever actions; one is the Cowboy Limited, the other is the SS model. I have been lusting after both of them since seeing them and am barely (not really) able to afford just one.

I have the Cowboy Limited in .357 and it is a jewel, and the perfect companion for my Vaquero. I recently picked up a 44 mag Super Blackhawk with the 5.5" barrel as a woods gun and one of these lever actions would really be sweet to go with it.

Adding to the agony is that I also have the SS 30.30 model, which is my go-to for deer hunting around here. So do I go with the Cowboy (octagonal barrel and all) or the sweet, sweet SS model????? :crying:

It's hell to be poor....... :dunno:

Ronaldo

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  9. deadite

deadite Groovy.

+1 I love mine. It's very accurate, slings a pretty big hunk of lead, and is very handy. Here's mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

deadite

10. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

.44 Marlin would be my pick.
    Unless you have a handgun in .45LC.
    :supergrin:

11. Gimp

Gimp Old Coot

+1

The biggest reason I can think of for buying a rifle in a handgun caliber is to have cross-compatibility between the two. When my saddle-gun was a .357 Vaquero, my saddle-carbine was a Puma .357 lever action. Loved that gun!

Both are gone to my son (since the sight of a grown man saying "Daddy, can I? Please?" was just disturbing!) and I'm still on the hunt for a lever-action in .45. Not hunting too hard, since I'm hardly ever in the saddle anymore, but still...

12. awpk03s

awpk03s

I've got a Puma (Rossi) 1892 with 24" octagon bbl in stainless. I love it and got it to go with my Ruger Blackhawk in 45LC for the same reasons you mention.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Jbar4Ranch

Jbar4Ranch B-Western Hero Millennium Member

If price is a consideration, a Rossi/LSI Puma M92 is likely to be the least expensive. The goofy safety on the later models is easily removed and the hole plugged with a short piece of round stock.

[​IMG]

The Marlin M94 would be an equally good choice, and their goofy crossbolt safety can be easily be replaced with a two piece Chicago type screw from Brownells that outwardly appears to be nothing more than another screw head on each side of the receiver.

Cole125's reply that "Anything a .45 colt will do a .44 mag will do better" doesn't hold water when referring to strong actions such as these; the .45 Colt can be loaded past factory .44 mag specs at equal or even less pressure, and Buffalo Bore offers nuclear factory loads - how 'bout a 260 grain JHP @ 1450 fps or a 325 grain FNL bullet @ 1325 fps? (And this is advertised as handgun ammo, hence the data should have been collected from a handgun length barrel, not a 16, 18, or 20" rifle barrel...)

14. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

Not quite. When dealing with Ruger Only Handloads and a lever gun that can handle them, the 44mag met its match, and a bigger bullet to boot.

15. dewidmt

dewidmt Gunaholic

I've got one of the older .45 Colt Rossi Pumas without the safety on the top, just the good ol' half cock notch. I love it, shot Cowboy Action with it for a few years. Now it serves as a deer rifle for pistol caliber only states. You can find them (if you're lucky) for around $300-350.

16. moeman

moeman

Beretta and Uberti 45lc pump rifles look nice...Fit and finish are excellent--I'm tempted

This is the beretta:

[​IMG]

17. thisaway

thisaway

I have an older Rossi M1892 carbine clone in .45. It is a hoot to shoot with my 255-gr. "cowboy" loads...almost no felt recoil. I bought some CorBon +P 300-gr. JSPs for hog hunting...they thump a bit, but are still easlily manageable.

Best of all, I got it for $225. Just try to find a Marlin or Winchester that cheap! :tongueout: