.45 ACP vs. 10mm vs. .357SIG?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by jamppp, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

you've already dismissed sig in this post. you want affordable ammo so there goes 10MM. you're left with .45. you answered your own question.

I carry a G22.4 on duty, and am considering a G23.4 for off duty (need to buy one still). I have long carried the .357sig in a G33.3. I cannot sing praise for this round highly enough, it is bar none my favorite. loaded with Underwood, the G33 is a bit much, however. Still considering a G32.4 vs the G23. My concern is, with less and less time to reload, and also my hatred for reloading SIG, I am leaning more and more toward the G23.

Presently carry a G29.4. have for a long time now, to include this whole summer. make no mistake she's a hog. it's heavy, it's thick, it's hard to conceal, and you sweat, a lot, with it on, especially down here when it's Kenya weather for 4 months without end. That being said I've not found a gun that fits my hands better, and meets my criteria for potency and firepower, in a concealable package. not only that, it is very well rounded. against people, or critters. It sure is fine here in SC. would take it anywhere, urban or wilderness. may just change the loading if I was seriously concerned with hog and/or bear attacks, which I am not. I've accepted the fact long ago I am primarily a beach bum.

RetropM likes this.
  2. Blackshirt

Blackshirt

A Glock 33 is a pretty potent package: 9+1 and velocity over 1300fps in a true subcompact size. A demi-magnum. It can work in the field, too; the Sellier&Bellot 140grain FMJ is loaded hot and penetrates deep.

3. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

Loaded with Underwood 125gr ammo the G33 has a velocity in the 1430 fps 357 Mag. neighborhood. This little CCW works on the street and in the woods equally well, it's just that simple.

Toni77 likes this.
  4. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

it's a nasty little gun. I posted mine up for sale here a while back (not to hijack the thread, PM me), it's still available.

I really enjoy shooting the thing. It's just fun, plain and simple. there is just something about the round I love. I've tried and tried to reload for it, never works. I have a mix of Dillon and Lee dies for the caliber, and was loading lead (as I do for .40/10MM). Mixed, once fired, bulk brass. I think each issue compounds off the next. If I got good plated bullets, uniform, brand new starline brass, and went to all dillon dies, it would probably be workable. but, $ I simply do not have now, nor any time soon. Similarly, 1k rounds @ $360 off SGAMMO.com, while not expensive per se, also out of the budget. this is ultimately what made me hop over to my G29 for carry, at least for now. 40 and 10 are actually boring to reload they are so simple. swap the die head out, and pop in the large or small primer feeder on the 550 and you're in business. to think I used to manually adjust my old Lee turret press' dies when I wanted to change calibers. ain't nobody got time for that.

I really try to stay in OC on this site. when I leave, I am immediately tossed back into my never ending, constant mental battle of .40/10MM/357 and my brain's desire to pick one and for all and be content with it. that, and the thought of new guns. I hate yall. You all seriously have me looking at GAP Glocks right now, WTF.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    BengalBacker likes this.
  5. harold63

harold63

For a skilled shooter that doesn't mind a little recoil, you got the best carry gun you can prolly get. Don't sell it and be content. Practice ammo under 40 cents per round seems fairly abundant though I see a lot of 'out of stock'. When I put my first Sig barrel in one of my 35's, I just started the hoarding process by checking sites, daily. I think I'm averaged out at $.34 per round for 125 gr, 1350 fps paper ammo, for the 400+ rounds I have, now.

Railsplitter likes this.
  6. Will Beararms

Will Beararms Millennium Member

HK45
    HK45 Compact
    S&W M&P 45 2.0
    Glock 30, 21
    Beretta PX4 .45
    Walther PPQ .45
    1911’s

7. fredj338

fredj338

I wouldnt be practicing much at 35c a rd!
    You can make reloading the 357sig as simple or complicated as you want. Use appropriate shaped jacketed bullets & you are making good practice ammo for 13-14c per rd. Though smallest gun I want to tote in 357sig is a p239.

GlockWheeler and triggerjerk like this.
  8. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

Suggest you buy it while you can, with the elections coming up next year it want be long before the demand and prices start going up. If it starts looking like a lib will be elected president it will be 2012 all over again.

9. triggerjerk

triggerjerk

Since buying a G31 I rarely shoot 9mm or .45 ACP (and only for use with a silencer). Gave up on .40 a while ago.
    Just sayin . . .

10. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

Don't know the 44 russian, but I don't see how a pistol that launches a 45 caliber projectile at over 900 fps is not practical for self defense. Anyone shot with 45 GAP cartridge will know little if anything about the casings popularity on an internet opinion sight. Nor will it enhance or detract from its performance. So why is it not "practical"?

11. Bradley T

Bradley T

A $300 G37 sounds cool! A big bad G20 sounds like some superlative seriousness indeed! Get both! I just love spending others' money!

12. unit1069

unit1069

If I needed something more powerful than a G-32 with conversion capability to .40S&W/9mm, I'd step up to a G-29 with its conversion capabilities. As things stand, the 3rd generation G-32 has been so capable that I've given up the notion of buying any conversion barrels/magazines. The cost of ammunition is negligible since I purchase online at good prices and have stashed away enough to last me until the end of days.

RetropM and Railsplitter like this.
  13. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

Same here I have 1k+ rounds of 357 Sig HST alone.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    triggerjerk likes this.
  14. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Because it is a dead cartridge - you won't find ammo at the local Walmart, you won't find the variety of ammo and you will pay too much for practice ammo.

15. RetropM

RetropM

I would agree that .45 GAP is not viable for the average person for regular use, unless maybe if they reload. It's a good cartridge and you can always get ammo online but as a rule I don't carry any round that I can't, within reason, walk into a store and purchase. I have an abundance of stores near me that sell firearms and ammo (numerous Walmarts and probably 20+ others that aren't chains) and I never see GAP at any of them.

I've never had that problem with 10mm or .357 SIG.

16. fasteddie565

I personally won't do any of those things, regardless of the round. I just paid $260 for a case of 1000 rds of practice ammo which is tuned to the carry ammo. You can also buy it for $13.99 a box. I use, Speer Gold Dot Hollow points, which is what I carry in every other caliber. Its also available in Winchester, S&B, remington, etc. If buying ammo at WalMart is your standard for practical carry option, I can see how someone might think that. But when people come here to get advice on a CCW and people say a cartridge is "dead", in the case of the 45 GAP, its disingenuous. Someone can take the money they would pay for a Rossi .38 and buy a quality firearm that is reliable, easy to shoot and not as hard to outfit as you may think.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  17. fasteddie565

If you ask an LGS to stock it, they will likely do it. I am not seeking to convert anyone, as I think CCW is a very personal decision on many levels, but what does walking into any LGS have to do with CCW selection. I am not mocking your response, just curious.

18. RetropM

RetropM

Possibly, but I don't own any GAP pistols... passed on a 38 a few years back and haven't really thought about it since. I was just commenting on what I have noticed as I do like to keep up with trends and I check out what the different places stock even if I don't run the caliber myself.

fasteddie565 likes this.
  19. H&K .45 AUTO

H&K .45 AUTO 10-42

I think the GAP was a great idea, but it simply hasn't caught on enough to instill confidence that it will remain available. Performance wise, it seems to produce near identical results to .45 ACP, but does so in a 9mm/.40 S&W sized frame. That... Is nothing short of pure awesome sauce right there.

The problem is, as others have stated, that you can't put your faith in the ability to simply walk into most gun stores/sporting goods stores/etc. and find some on the shelf. It's not that it was a bad idea. Hell... I think it was a great idea. Still, trying to compete with the tried and true .45 ACP when so many are well stocked on the older round was a bad plan.

Perhaps if they would have made it a true .44 caliber, rather than the .429 of the classic magnum, made the bullet a bit lighter (like around 200 grain) to gain some speed, and marketed it as the new hotness in a G17/G19 sized package. Glock .44 anyone?

RetropM likes this.