Glock Talk banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts
Im looking for the best self defense loads for my g21, im not so worried about the cost as these will only be for carring and sparly shot. im more concerned with reliabilty and the putem down factor.
Thanx Goon
Not sure what a "putem down factor" is, but pick one of these which functions best in your gun and practice as much as you can afford.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

.45 ACP:
Barnes XPB 160 & 185 gr JHP (copper bullet)
Federal HST 230 gr JHP (P45HST2)
Federal HST 230 gr +P JHP (P45HST1)
Federal Tactical 230 gr JHP (LE45T1)
Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr JHP (RA45T)
Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr +P JHP (RA45TP)

Speer Gold Dot 230's and Speer Lawman 230's for range ammo. The Lawman 230's are designed to match the recoil and POA of the GD's for a lot less $$. This combo has worked flawlessly in both my 21 and 30. The cor-bon dpx is supposed to be the most accurate, but I haven't been able to get my hands on any yet.

230 gr ball (Winchester White Box) feeds reliably, allows quick recovery for a second shot, and will poke holes in heavy winter clothing, something some JHP's may have a problem with.
Not in 45, especially if you're shooting a bonded hollow point such at Gold Dots, etc.

I have heard of people carrying FMJ's in the winter if they are carrying a .380 but 45 would'nt have a problem with winter clothing.

POW'R BALL

Feeds in anything and expands completely 100% of the time.

It's better than the stinkeye:wow: of an Italian grandmother:supergrin:
Maybe it'll feed in anything, but it has a hard time keeping its jacket.
For Cor-Bon stick to the non-gimmick rounds and you'll be good.

I like corbon DPX, CCI speer gold dot, Federal HSTs and Winchester Ranger Ts. The OPs g21 wont have problems with any of these, as mine dosn't.

Discussion starter · #38 ·
Thanks for all the help fellas. i got some gold dot +p 230gr and some dpx +p 185 gr
going to run some through the 21 and see how it goes. sorry to all you english teachers, next time i will get a dictionary
Thanx Goon

There are few poor choices in JHP fo rthe 45acp. What ever you decide, you MUST test them in YOUR pistol. Regardless of what anyone tells you works for them, it must work in your pistol. I suggest a minimum of one 25rd box of each brand you can find. If they all go bang from all your full carry mags, then they should be good to go. If you have three carry mags, then buy more ammo. It must be 1005 reliable or the "best performing" JHP means nothing.

Federal HST 230gr +p is what I feed my Glock. The HSTs are by far one of the best rounds I ever tested and my Glock 21 eats them like candy.

I have about 200 rounds of it left from when it actually was available, but it is next to impossible to find these days.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.