Glock Talk banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

· Registered
229 Posts
Thx JJM. What year is the Willys?
12/16/1941. Started life as a Slat Grill, re-manufactured at Karlsfeld Ordnance Depot (Germany) in 1950. Transferred to Greek Army and re-manufactured in 1967. The Greek Army mothballed it it until surplussed in 1982.

When I bought it in 2006 the odometer read 250 miles with a note (in Greek) to change engine break-in oil at 300 miles.

It is a fine unrestored piece of history!

This is the LONG answer!

PS
230g RN SNS coated bullet, 4.3g WST 1.25" COL.
200 SWC SNS coated bullet 4.8g WST 1.25" COL.

· Registered
5,676 Posts
Certainly Clays, but after testing more than 8 diff powders for soft 45 loads that make 170pf, I have gone back to WST.
Fred, do you shoot .45 fmj's with WST, too? Looking for 170-ish PF. Thanks!

· Registered
40,458 Posts
Fred, do you shoot .45 fmj's with WST, too? Looking for 170-ish PF. Thanks!
I have worked up data but I hate shooting expensive jacketed bullets at paper.
In a 5" gun, 4.7gr under a 230gr RNFMJ @ 1.250" will get you close.

· Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
12/16/1941. Started life as a Slat Grill, re-manufactured at Karlsfeld Ordnance Depot (Germany) in 1950. Transferred to Greek Army and re-manufactured in 1967. The Greek Army mothballed it it until surplussed in 1982.

When I bought it in 2006 the odometer read 250 miles with a note (in Greek) to change engine break-in oil at 300 miles.

It is a fine unrestored piece of history!

This is the LONG answer!

PS
230g RN SNS coated bullet, 4.3g WST 1.25" COL.
200 SWC SNS coated bullet 4.8g WST 1.25" COL.
I bought a 1948 Willys in 1969 for $300and restored it. Wish I had kept it!
Thanks for the info brother!

· Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Its plenty stable but it is a bit inverse temp sensitive. So if you work up a load for min pf at say 50deg. Pressure & vel will drop enough to be an issue at 95deg, 20-25fps or so.
WeeWilly made this point also however my question is - are you speaking of the temp of where the rounds are built (reloading room) vs: where shot (range or competition) or where test loads are chrono'd vs: where actual loads shot (range or competition) ?
Geez, hope this makes sense...

· Registered
40,458 Posts
WeeWilly made this point also however my question is - are you speaking of the temp of where the rounds are built (reloading room) vs: where shot (range or competition) or where test loads are chrono'd vs: where actual loads shot (range or competition) ?
Geez, hope this makes sense...
No, reloading room temp means nothing. Your ammo temp at time of shooting. Cold days vs hot days. It's only at the extremes but is there. Most powder show some temp sensitivity, but it is lower pressures/vel as it gets colder. Even elevation & barometric pressures affect vel & pressures.

Reactions: GLOCKITIUS

· Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
No, reloading room temp means nothing. Your ammo temp at time of shooting. Cold days vs hot days. It's only at the extremes but is there. Most powder show some temp sensitivity, but it is lower pressures/vel as it gets colder. Even elevation & barometric pressures affect vel & pressures.
Thanks for clarifying fred!

· Registered
40,458 Posts
Thanks for clarifying fred!
When I found out about WST issues, I tested on a normal temp day, about 75deg. I left ammo in direct sun for 30m & had rounds in a 40deg cooler. Shot them over the chrono & you can see the variation, about 20fps with each temp range, 40-75-105+.

Reactions: GLOCKITIUS

· Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
When I found out about WST issues, I tested on a normal temp day, about 75deg. I left ammo in direct sun for 30m & had rounds in a 40deg cooler. Shot them over the chrono & you can see the variation, about 20fps with each temp range, 40-75-105+.
Will be interesting to see how the new 244 will compare across the board...

· Registered
3,639 Posts
Many rule changes ago, the moonclipped 45’s played in the same division (there was only one) as all other revolvers. The Mr. Gamey Gamerton load we used for them was a 230 pushed by 2.8 gn of Clays. Gave a blistering 550 fps, you could actually see the bullet on its way to the target, to meet the division required 125 PF.

· Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Many rule changes ago, the moonclipped 45’s played in the same division (there was only one) as all other revolvers. The Mr. Gamey Gamerton load we used for them was a 230 pushed by 2.8 gn of Clays. Gave a blistering 550 fps, you could actually see the bullet on its way to the target, to meet the division required 125 PF.[/QUOTE

Lol! I have actually seen that at a few matches, it's pretty funny seeing a single shot and waiting for it to hit!
I'm looking at needing 761 fps to reach 175 pf. It's possible I could back off slightly due to the coated bullets however will have to wait and see what Mr Chrono says...
Cheers brother!

· Sometimes grumpy, not old
1,167 Posts
I'm liking 180gr coated round nose from SNS casting over 4.5gr Bullseye.

Not sure on the velocity but it does just fine for GSSF.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.