Glock Talk banner

.45 ACP Powders For Gamer loads

2387 56
As some of you know of recent I have become quite intrigued with powder and trying to understand how to assess and apply the differences successfully. I'm searching for a soft, clean & accurate (45 acp) powder for target and a "gamer" load.

Hodgdon said the new WinClean 244 might have too much velocity for my needs however suggested to look at Clays, HP38 & W231.

I compared those only to find HP38 & W231 have the exact same stats, exactly! Why? Some on forum chatter says they are the same powder. Another said they are the same powder but HP 38 meters better. How can one meter better if they are indeed the same powder?

Are they really the same powder marketed with different labels?

And Clays requires less of a charge and has a higher pressure rating, indicating it burns faster?

And he77, speaking of pressure ratings, there are two (cup & psi) of which apparently there is not a formula to convert and compare them to each other.

I suppose many go through this in the early years of reloading, if so what helped most in your learning curve to get you over the hump? It can't be as difficult as it seems...

Looking for the light...
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
40,386 Posts
Certainly Clays, but after testing more than 8 diff powders for soft 45 loads that make 170pf, I have gone back to WST.

· Registered
40,386 Posts
Thx fred. Is there anything to the rumour of it's lack of stability?
Its plenty stable but it is a bit inverse temp sensitive. So if you work up a load for min pf at say 50deg. Pressure & vel will drop enough to be an issue at 95deg, 20-25fps or so.

Reactions: GLOCKITIUS

· Registered
40,386 Posts
Might I ask which other ones you tested?
Unique, w231, aa#5, wst, wsf, universal. Clays, red dot, rs comp, tg, vv320, 452aa (wst replaced it) there are probably one or two more.

· Registered
40,386 Posts
I don't reload, but my love of the 45acp & 45Colt wheelgun, maybe what gets me started. I've yet to find an affordable and comfortable to shoot commercial (brass cased) load. Maybe I'm just recoil sensitive. Regardless, I have multiple 45ACP/LC da revolvers that I don't shoot as much as I'd like.

Watching this thread. And if anyone knows of a retail source for light loaded 45acp/lc ammo hit me up. I'm all ears.

Thanks,

GregB
Exactly why you should reload, even if you only shoot 100rds a month. You can make what ever you want
I loaded up about 700 of these Rainier 200gr flat-nosed bullets for target shooting and plinking last year. I used a bunch of different powders but all the rounds shot through my G36 worked without issue. In fact, until reading this thread I didn't know WC bullets gave problems in the G30 - 36. These aren't WC rounds but flat nosed and worked fine for me:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...liber-451-diameter-200-grain-plated-flat-nose
The issue with swc is the shoulder, not the point or meplat.

· Registered
40,386 Posts
Like said most, for some people they will work, but for the majority they will not. I have owned 3 G30 models and non will feed SWC bullets
The shape of the swc has a lot to do with it too.

· Registered
40,386 Posts
Clays barely makes Major PF (730 fps) with 230 gr bullets at max loadings.

My pair of Titegroup loadings with 200 gr RNFP bullets are both mild shooting, 4,0 gr of TG for 730 fps, and 4.8 gr for 840 fps....

The same velocities with HP38/WW231 (identical, same powder) were achieved with 5.0 gr and 5.7 gr, respectively, but the mild 231 loadings left both dirty cases and dirty pistols, although otherwise still fine.
Yeah but it's TG!!!
Agree about Clays. It can spike as you reach max pressures, why it's best for minor loads.

· Registered
40,386 Posts
Fred, do you shoot .45 fmj's with WST, too? Looking for 170-ish PF. Thanks!
I have worked up data but I hate shooting expensive jacketed bullets at paper.
In a 5" gun, 4.7gr under a 230gr RNFMJ @ 1.250" will get you close.

· Registered
40,386 Posts
WeeWilly made this point also however my question is - are you speaking of the temp of where the rounds are built (reloading room) vs: where shot (range or competition) or where test loads are chrono'd vs: where actual loads shot (range or competition) ?
Geez, hope this makes sense...
No, reloading room temp means nothing. Your ammo temp at time of shooting. Cold days vs hot days. It's only at the extremes but is there. Most powder show some temp sensitivity, but it is lower pressures/vel as it gets colder. Even elevation & barometric pressures affect vel & pressures.

· Registered
40,386 Posts
Thanks for clarifying fred!
When I found out about WST issues, I tested on a normal temp day, about 75deg. I left ammo in direct sun for 30m & had rounds in a 40deg cooler. Shot them over the chrono & you can see the variation, about 20fps with each temp range, 40-75-105+.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.