45 ACP load questions

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Rusty Gun, Nov 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Rusty Gun

Rusty Gun Brass picker

does anyone load .45 ACP with 230 grain powder coated bullets and W231?

I acquired 500 230 grain powder coated lead bullets from a guy that I shoot with at the range.
    I have loaded them with bullseye, longshot, and now W231. I am leaning toward 231 because it seems to be slightly softer shooting in my Glock 21 and is way cleaner than bullseye.

Started with around 4.2 gr of 231 and the cases had deposits on the outside like the rounds were not sealing in the chamber. Note that I do not have a chrono yet so I am trying to rely on other data points. It cycled the action okay but the empty’s barely cleared the action and ended up in a neatly organized pile right at my feet. Bumped the charge to 4.6 still had dirty exteriors on the cases. Then 4.8 gr and the dirty case pretty much went away and no evidence of barrel leading. The empty cases were 4-6 ft away at about 5 o’clock. Accuracy was as good as my old eyes can shoot, taking the center out of a paper target at 7 yards. I typically do not shoot at longer distances just because the target gets a little fuzzy past 7-10 yards.

One would think that was good but I have a habit of pushing things and currently have 100 rounds loaded at 5.2 grs of 231. My books say 5.3 is max load.

I guess my question boils down to two things —- Do you get better accuracy or more consistent patterns with a larger powder charge of 231 in a 45? And am I going to start seeing leading in the stock glock barrel?
    I should start drinking decaf and stay with the 4.8 grs?

2. fredj338

fredj338

Lyman says 5.8gr so I would think you are fine right around the 5gr range. I've gone to 5.6gr @ 1.245" oal. About 850fps in a 5". You arent gojng to be getting leading issues at that, even with near dead soft lead, if sized & lubed right.

orangejeep06 likes this.

3. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Being a ball powder, it will clean up and you will generally get better consistency with more pressure. You are fine at 5.2 for sure.

W231/HP38 really aren't my favorite for 45ACP, or any caliber other than 38spl for that matter. But there a tons of guys that swear by it and use it faithfully in many calibers. I just never got the accuracy from it I could get from BE or N320. I know Fred prefers WST, maybe give that a try as well. Enabler. :)

4. fredj338

fredj338

W231/HP38, it does ok but WST is by far my fav 45acp powder, any bullet wt, any bullet type. I have been playing with VV320, just not seeing the magic many claim & for double the price, probably wont buy more.

Steel Head likes this.
  5. Rusty Gun

Rusty Gun Brass picker

Thanks for the responses. I have a few lbs of WST so I will research loads and try a few rounds of that.

6. fredj338

fredj338

I doubt you go back to w231, unless you want to run +p loads.

7. Jammersix

Jammersix

I don't like 231. It's dirty, and doesn't produce the accuracy modern powders do.

Try Titegroup.

TN.Frank likes this.
  8. nitesit(+ an e)

nitesit(+ an e) Farmer, House Sitter and Cook

Powder Coated bullets properly prepared will not lead your barrel in any .45Auto load.

Go have fun!

9. fredj338

fredj338

Dont get me started on TG. :deadhorse:The only issue with w231 is you have to run it well above midrange levels to get good accuracy & cleaner burning. It is at the top of the fast burning powders, bottom of the medium burners, kind of tweener.

10. Jammersix

Jammersix

Oh, I have to get you started. What kind of problems did you have with Titegroup?

11. tjpet

tjpet

.45acp:
    5.0grs WST w/200gr LSWC
    5.0grs WST w/230gr LRN

4.9grs WST is actually max for the 230gr bullet. But I can't see readjusting for 1/10gr of powder so I've never bothered. Shoots just fine even if it's technically over max. A lot of folks run 4.5grs for both. But I like to shoot full power in my .45 autos.

12. fredj338

fredj338

My dislike for TG is well noted. More negatives than positives, and too many other powders that do the same thing with less negatives. To each their own though.

gunowner1 likes this.
  13. Jammersix

Jammersix

I've never seen it. Are you new?

nitesite10mm likes this.
  14. Rusty Gun

Rusty Gun Brass picker

Surely you jest. Fred is one of the reloading mentors on this site. His icon says he has been here since 2004.

Because I follow his posts and he has explained his TG position so convincingly, I have three lbs of titegroup that might never be used unless I need to blow up a tree stump.

15. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

We clearly don't have to ask the same question of you. :)

16. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I think Fred has been very convincing to many in his knock on Titegroup and I understand his point of view, but if I had three pounds of TG, I definitely would use it up. I suspect if Fred had 3lbs, he might use it up as well, but maybe not. ;)

dudel and happie2shoot like this.
  17. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I wouldn't call N320 Magic, but I do call it dreamy. It is my absolute favorite target powder in most service calibers. But alas, I am too big a cheap screw to buy it all the time.

If I ever win the lottery, I will luxuriate with N320 and new Starline brass, walking away without ever bending down. Ahh, that would be grand. :)

AR_AK, dudel and Rusty Gun like this.
  18. wlkjr

wlkjr

The 3 most used powders in my inventory are TG, Bullseye, and W231. Bullseye is what I use for my .45 loads. I only load them hot enough to operate the slide and attain a reasonable amount of accuracy.

dudel likes this.
  19. fredj338

fredj338

Good ole BE. Just shy of black pwder in the crud it produces. There are so many good powders today, branch out & give some a try. WST, Ramshot Comp, aa#2, just a few.

20. wlkjr

wlkjr

I did try WST but wasn't as happy with it as the BE. The BE just works for me so no real need to change. When I get around to it I'll probably give the WST another go as one of my friends uses it. I also have some BE86 and N320 to tinker with. AA2 was scarce for a long time but seems to be readily available now. Clays seems to work on in .45acp also.

dudel, WeeWilly and fredj338 like this.