Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to reloading and have been looking at supplies to get started. One question I have is what size bullet do I need for .45 ACP? I've seen them in mainly two sizes, .451 and .452. I have been told I should have my barrel slugged to determine bullet size but I will be shooting more than one .45 pistol. Also what reloading manual would you reccomend?

·
2,950 Posts
.451 for jacketed bullets, .452 for lead bullets depending on your barrel. To be sure, you need to slug the barrel(s) if you intend to shoot lead.

·
Registered
363 Posts
.451 for jacketed and .452 lead bullets. will work just fine for Glock S&W Sig etc. I like the Lyman and Hodgdon loading manuals but would suggest you get a book for what you are wanting to load. What type of gun do you have?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
.451 for jacketed and .452 lead bullets. will work just fine for Glock S&W Sig etc. I like the Lyman and Hodgdon loading manuals but would suggest you get a book for what you are wanting to load. What type of gun do you have?
Kimber Tactical Entry II and a Springfield Micro. I'm really wanting to try a G30sf or G21sf because lately I'm shooting my G17 better than any of my 1911's. Don't know if it's me or the gun.

·
Registered
35,941 Posts
I would also throw in 0.452" for plated bullets. They fall between a lead & jacketed, soft w/ a thin copper plating, & want to be closer to lead bullet size tna jacketed for best accuracy.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I personally have been using the hornady manual as my go to guide because I like the way the data is laid out. It gives you a variety of different loads and their velocities for each powder. That being said, it only has data for jacketed bullets so if you are planning on shooting lead it would not be very useful.

I always cross-reference the Lyman manual and the manufactures data but, thus far, I have always just ended up using the data in the Hornady manual.

Keep in mind, I have only been reloading for a month and I am sure the more experienced folks have different strategies.

·
Registered
35,941 Posts
I personally have been using the hornady manual as my go to guide because I like the way the data is laid out. It gives you a variety of different loads and their velocities for each powder. That being said, it only has data for jacketed bullets so if you are planning on shooting lead it would not be very useful.

I always cross-reference the Lyman manual and the manufactures data but, thus far, I have always just ended up using the data in the Hornady manual.

Keep in mind, I have only been reloading for a month and I am sure the more experienced folks have different strategies.
It's a good strategy, always use aat least two sources. The data in mauals varies quite a bit, so corss ref is a good way to keep everyone honest. As yo unoted, there is no lead or plated data in most manuals, so some extrapolation is req'd. One reason I suggest newbs stick to jacketed bullets & published data to start. Thre is enough going on that you don't need to add how to extrapolate data for unknown components.

·
Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,040 Posts
It's a good strategy, always use aat least two sources. The data in mauals varies quite a bit, so corss ref is a good way to keep everyone honest. As you noted, there is no lead or plated data in most manuals, so some extrapolation is req'd. One reason I suggest newbs stick to jacketed bullets & published data to start. There is enough going on that you don't need to add how to extrapolate data for unknown components.
+1

And I would suggest starting a spreadsheet. Add all the free data from the powder manufacturers.

Don't try to make MAX loads.

If you are sticking with medium loads, you can load lead, platted, and jacketed bullets with the same load data.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts