45 acp bullet profile, loads, tite group, unique for sig 220

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by kc lefty, Feb 15, 2010.

1. kc lefty

kc lefty

Gents,

Need a little help here.

Just picked up a sig 220 SAO. Took it to the range today. Ran WWB just fine as expected. Since I basically do not shoot factory ammo at all, I took some of my normal 1911 reloads.

My typical load is berrys 200gr, copper plated flat point over 4.5 grains of Tite Group or 5.5-5.7 grains of unique.

Now like I said, I just got this sig and jsut shot it. What happend was that there were NO problems chambering but there were several FTE's. The gun just didnt want to cycle correctly at ejection. I could litteraly see the slide open slowly and ejection. Remember gun shot fine with WWB

This could really only be two things. The Sig is very new so the springs might be really stiff or just heavier than my Kimber. Or the powder charge is just too light for that spring and gun.

Here are you perameters if you have any experience or suggestions.

200 gr berrys CP FP or RS (also suggest another bullet type if you have luck with it)
    ???? of Tite Group or Unique.
    OAL is 1.23 works well for me

Hopefully some of you load for this pistol with these components.

thanks for your help.

Lefty

2. gasboffer

gasboffer

I have a Glock 36. It won't cycle some fact. rounds. Same problem you have. I found that the fired case is hitting the front of the shell in the mag. I can get it to work with reloads by using a tighter crimp, just leaving enough case mouth for it to headspace in the chamber. Some factory loads give the same problem, so I put just a little tighter crimp on them.
    Clyde

3. kc lefty

kc lefty

Wow a rousing response.

Back to the old drawing board.

4. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

Could be the slide on your sig is heavier than your 1911, or the recoil spring is stiffer, I would first try to bump up the charge before completely abandoning the load.

Also could be you shooting the gun.

I am new to Sig's as well, and people use to 1911's and other pistols where you grip high and thumbs forward need to adjust to the Sigs and it's not rare to get some FTE's in transitioning. Work on your grip and also try bumping the charge some and see if that works.

I would assume that's it's the load being too light though since you didn't get any FTE's with the factory WWB.

:wavey:

5. kshutt

kshutt

Try these loads. I shoot them in my Sig P220, G21 and G30. 230 grn. Rainier or Berry's round nose bullet. 6.0 grns. of Unique or 5.3 grns. of W231, Federal 150 primers, and OAL @ 1.260. :thumbsup:

6. kc lefty

kc lefty

Medic,

Thanks for the advice. I am sure the load is just too light by .3-.5. Once I get a little time I will add the extra charge and see.

This SIG is the carry alloy frame. I dont think I am thumbing the slide. Technically I do shoot thumbs up but parrallel (spl). I will double check it next time I shoot it. I am lefty so left thumb riding the safety and right filling in the gap rotated forward not to heal the gun.

That is what is leading me to the light charge. There was ZERO recoil with the reloads and a fair amount with factory loads.

I bought the gun used but it maybe had 200 MAX through it. So I am sure the spring is still very heavy.

Thanks for the help.

7. kc lefty

kc lefty

KS,

First of all, are u a native Kansan living in OK? If so where ya from in KS?

Will do. I ran out of TG and have two bottles of Unique left. I did throw a couple of SWC's with 5.5 Unique in it and fired fine at the end of the session. I think the rounded profile will continue to feed better than SWC in this gun.

I will work up to 6.0 but like I said I typically shoot 200 gr not 230. I gotta order some more bullets anyhow. I like FP or RS bullets over RN but since 230 RN is the most common I may just order 230 instead.

Thanks.

8. kshutt

kshutt

Native Oklahoman, brother! My P220 choked on the SWC style bullets, but loves that 230RN profile (and of course factory load hollow points). I've already traveled the road you're on with the loads, and hope I can save you some time. Again, the loads I mentioned work well in my Glocks, too.

While I'm at it, stay away from Winchester large pistol primers if you ever load for a Glock .45. They work fine in my other .45's (like my P220 and Wilson), but they misfire in my G30 and G21. The issue is pretty well documented, but that's another story.............have fun! :cool:

9. buckshotshorty

buckshotshorty

I think you have two possibilities here.

Your load may be a hair light to cycle your gun reliably.

Your flair may still be a slight bit out on the case mouth. The result is the round coming out of the chamber hangs up on the case mouth of the next cartridge still in your magazine.

I believe this has been found to be the problem in the Glock 36 and it may be with your Sig. Try a slight taper crimp; see if it helps.

10. sourdough44

sourdough44

I think your load is a little light. I use 5.1 Tightgroup with a 200 grn plated bullet in the 45 acp, cycles fine. I have also used 6.1 H Universal, same bullet.