GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
45 ACP Chambered between .450 and .453, only suggested dia. per manual is no more that .451. Use a .452 in the 45 Colt even though the manual suggests .451. In reading, the .452 may not chamber as well as the .451. Are there other concerns with a .452 in a 45 ACP?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I have shot a bunch of .452 hard cast Bullets out of 1911’s.
Jacketed Bullets .451

·
Registered
14,125 Posts
What are you shooting jacketed, plated, coated, or bare lead?

I’m loading MBC hi-tek coated .452’s and they chamber reliably and shoot well out of my P220 and Colt 1911.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m loading MBC hi-tek coated .452’s and they chamber reliably and shoot well out of my P220 and Colt 1911.
Exactly what were loading. New to the Hi-tek coatings, but all of the results on them have come back positive. It was hard not to hook on Xtreme when we could pick them up in Carson City,NV. And the plating was a new thing 16yrs back, well it was for us.

·
Registered
14,125 Posts
Exactly what were loading. New to the Hi-tek coatings, but all of the results on them have come back positive. It was hard not to hook on Xtreme when we could pick them up in Carson City,NV. And the plating was a new thing 16yrs back, well it was for us.
I have had good luck with them. I have a few thousand of them I am planning to load up and stash away for the foreseeable ammo shortage.

They also require very minimal case mouth flare to avoid shaving. The same projectiles in bare lead required a pretty significant flare to to seat properly. So it looks like the Hi-Tek coating is very hard and may prolong the life of my brass.

·
Registered
34,803 Posts
As noted, jacketed go 0.451". For coated lead or lead, even plated, go 0.452". I readily admit to never slugging a bore & all I shoot is coated lead in everything. I have measured cyl throats though.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
As noted, jacketed go 0.451". For coated lead or lead, even plated, go 0.452". I readily admit to never slugging a bore & all I shoot is coated lead in everything. I have measured cyl throats though.
I've done the same but never found an instant where I needed to change from the rule of thumb.

·
1911 lover
10,132 Posts
185 grain .451 nosler HP competition bullets. They look like jewelry.. 4.5 grains titegroup. Tiny little groups. Less recoil.. very very accurate .

I use them for competition and for instructing.. with 1911's.

Nosler competition hp bullets are very very expensive and very very accurate.

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
I've done the same but never found an instant where I needed to change from the rule of thumb.
Yep and if you don't slug, your barrel will typically tell you if you need more diameter with cast.

·
Registered
34,803 Posts
I only measure cyl throats because i have had them 0.002" too small. So they get opened up.
My RBH ss was the worst at 0.4505" cyl throats. Running 0.452" bullets was just wasting time. Once thr throats were opened, accuracy was 50% better & any leading went away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts