Registered
3,497 Posts
Been eyeballing the 41 mag pug.

Reactions: rfd339

·
Registered
560 Posts
That is a nice shooter!
I need one for all the .45 ACP I have been buying because 9mm prices are so crazy.

can the OP post a pic next to a Glock or other firearm for comparison?

Reactions: Buckeye63

·
Registered
806 Posts
I've got the matte finished version. It's my daily driver anti car jacking gun. Bought speed strips for it. Gotta get one of the 45'colt crane assemblies. With the factory grips and factory ammo I don't think reoil is that bad, personally.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I wonder if she will handle 45 Super?

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
I’ve always been an interested fan of Charter Arms large bore snub nose revolvers... I’m happy with my 38 special Air Weight for sure..... but if I had one chambered in 44 special or 45 acp, I’d be even happier...lol..They have a lot of wallop...

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
That is bad-a**!!

I keep telling myself to stop buying Charters because I'm tired of getting burned on the funky quality control. But they have the coolest snubs out of anybody!
What are the quality issues? How does the trigger compare to S&W, Taurus, etc?

Do you need moon clips?

That is certainly an interesting snubby.

·
Registered
639 Posts
What are the quality issues? How does the trigger compare to S&W, Taurus, etc?

Do you need moon clips?

That is certainly an interesting snubby.
There are gaps in the finish, holes or bumps in the steel as if there has been an air bubble in the metal, stuff misaligned, etc. etc. I guess the simplest way to put it is each one is different from the other, even though they're the exact same model.

Trigger pull is fine, eventually. But it just feels different. Smiths and Rugers feel like I'm operating a machine. Charter feels like I'm operating a contraption.

I don't have the auto-calibers, so no moon clips. I've got a pair of 44 Boomers (makes sense for my purposes) and four 32 H&R Professionals (makes no sense whatsoever). I love them all (except for the one Professional that came messed up out of the box), but for the same price as my LCR (~$330) i wish they could be more careful with quality control.

Still, a year from now I'll probably have bought their 45 colt and their 40 SW, each in pairs. No one else is making revolvers like this, AFAIK.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
There are gaps in the finish, holes or bumps in the steel as if there has been an air bubble in the metal, stuff misaligned, etc. etc. I guess the simplest way to put it is each one is different from the other, even though they're the exact same model.

Trigger pull is fine, eventually. But it just feels different. Smiths and Rugers feel like I'm operating a machine. Charter feels like I'm operating a contraption.

I don't have the auto-calibers, so no moon clips. I've got a pair of 44 Boomers (makes sense for my purposes) and four 32 H&R Professionals (makes no sense whatsoever). I love them all (except for the one Professional that came messed up out of the box), but for the same price as my LCR (~$330) i wish they could be more careful with quality control.

Still, a year from now I'll probably have bought their 45 colt and their 40 SW, each in pairs. No one else is making revolvers like this, AFAIK.
Thanks for your response pairof44sp.

·
N.R.A life member. G.O.A member
1,089 Posts
Several years ago, I was thinking of buying a charter 44 bulldog. When I went to my LGS, I noticed that they had no charter arms at all. When I asked the owner why no charters, he said that they were like a box of chocolates, you never know what you will get, so we don't sell them. So I ended up getting something else. But after looking at this new pitbull, I still would like to have one, regardless.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Several years ago, I was thinking of buying a charter 44 bulldog. When I went to my LGS, I noticed that they had no charter arms at all. When I asked the owner why no charters, he said that they were like a box of chocolates, you never know what you will get, so we don't sell them. So I ended up getting something else. But after looking at this new pitbull, I still would like to have one, regardless.
I just bought 4 Charters. On one the hammer drops in two stages as you pull the trigger: Kachink... .... Kachunk!
On another one, the crane arm sticks out like this:

upload_2020-6-18_3-4-30.jpeg

That's all the way closed, BTW.

The third one is gritty in every moving part, and the fourth one is perfectly fine.

I'm gonna ride this out and ship them off to warranty service, but I'm this close to giving up on Charter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts