.45-70 Rifle....Marlin 1895 or Henry .45-70 Rifle??

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Nalapombu, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Nalapombu

Nalapombu Millennium Member

Hey all.

Quick question. If you were going to get a .45-70 Rifle for hunting, which one would you choose, the Marlin 1895 in the various configurations or the Henry Rifle in .45-70?

Quality wise, is one better than the other? Is one the overall better choice or is it pretty much a wash??

Thanks all.
    Larry

2. smith10

smith10 10MM WOOOOOOT

Marlin, no loading gate on the Henry.

3. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

I don't hear anything but bad about later Marlins but I don't have any first hand knowledge.

I think @Vart had one and it had some issues that needed to be corrected.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

4. ctxcummins

ctxcummins

How many times have you needed to reload "quickly" while hunting?

Because I sure haven't, and the tube load can be pretty quick and is an awful lot easier with gloves on anyway.

I'd go the Henry, no doubt about it.

Taroman, Paul53, Jack Ryan and 3 others like this.
  5. Jonesee

Jonesee

The tube is easier to unload. You don't have to cycle live rounds through the chamber to unload it.

The Henry is a better looking gun in my opinion.

6. SargeMO

SargeMO

Seconded.

Paul53 and smith10 like this.
  7. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

With the new Marlins it's a roll of the dice. You might get a decent one that will work OK for a while but at some point a part may fail because of poor heat treatment.

Either shop for a used pre-2007 JM stamped Marlin or get a Henry. The henry's are very well made and have some of the best customer service in the business where Remington and Marlin's customer service is the absolute worst and they are back ordered on parts and constantly having to do repairs.

As far as tube loading vs. loading gate, Cowboy action shooters want a loading gate because it's faster to reload and it's more "Traditional" but the tube loading doesn't take much more time to reload once you get used to it and there is a major advantage when it comes time to UNLOAD the gun, that you don't have to cycle the cartridges through the action. You just unscrew the tube and carefully tilt the gun downward to dump the cartridges into your hand.

8. bac1023

bac1023

I’d go with an older Marlin

9. Nalapombu

I’ve never handled a Henry but I have some experience with the basic 1895 from over 15 years ago. It was a fine rifle. I too have read lots of comments about how the quality and customer service has declined since Remington bought them.

One thing I can say about the Henry rifles is that the owner stresses that his rifles are MADE IN AMERICA! He also looks like he cares about making his customers happy and satisfied with their purchase. I watched a YT video yesterday where one of their dealers said that if it’s at all possible or feasible, Henry will build it for you.

It is a beautiful rifle and I think I would like the tube loading more than the loading gate. I always seemed to catch the end of my thumb on it when reloading. Several times it hurt pretty darned good.

Thanks all for your info.
    Have a great week everyone!!
    Larry

R_P_K_ and Caver 60 like this.
  10. Nalapombu

How do the repro lever actions from Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor’s & Co., Navy Arms fit into this discussion?

I don’t know if they offer any rifles in 45-70, well Taylor’s does and it’s a short carbine in like a brushed stainless. Nice looking rifle but most of those repro rifles are priced double what the Henry or the Marlin is.

Not sure I see what the really high prices go for. Yeah, they’re really pretty and you can have octagon barrels, but it’s made in Italy and you’ll have to shell out $1,400 or more to get one.
    I’d like to see and handle a couple of them though.

Larry

11. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

My feelings too.

12. Planetcat

Planetcat

Winchester would be best, but its about 2x the price of the henry, which is 2x the price of the marlin. Like bac said, get an older JM stamped marlin or the henry. I wouldnt buy anything new that comes from the Remington conglomerate of investment firms.

13. Jascornt

Jascornt

IMG_1667.JPG My wife used her cowboy action marlin 45-70 last deer season. she was successful with it and intends to continue to use it for deer seasons here in NY. That being said if you zoom in on the gun you will notice that the loading gate is actually missing in this picture. That's because it broke and Jammed the gun. I had to remove it to clear the jam. However Marlin sent a replacement with in a few days at no cost and I installed it and she hasn't had any additional issues since.

smith10, PhotoFeller and JoeOU1 like this.
  14. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

I would chose the Marlin over the Henry because of the loading tube. I've noted that on the instruction manuals I've read for other Henry's that they specifically state not to load it pointing straight up and down but at an angle. That raises concerns for me.

I've heard of problems with the Marlins, but then I've also heard they've turned things around. Part of the problem they claim was old tooling that has been modernized.

If I had my druthers though, and you didn't need to mount a scope, I'd save and buy a Winchester.

15. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

The Browning 1886's made by Miroku in Japan are probably better than any of the Italian made guns. They are no longer in production, but are not hard to find. The guns that are available have rarely seen much use and have almost always been well taken care of. They go for about $12-1400 about the same as the new Italian guns.

I was able to shoot one of these guns an das much as I've enjoyed shooting the pre-safety JM stamped Marlins, the Browning 1886 is on a whole other level. I've shot a few of the originals both 86's and 71's and the Browning is like a brand new Winchester.

16. JoeOU1

JoeOU1

I’ve got the older Marlin .45-70 Guide Gun and love it! :)

PhotoFeller likes this.
  17. smith10

smith10 10MM WOOOOOOT

Was just looking at the trapper 45-70 from Marlin yesterday. Man what a neat carbine.

18. DrewBone

DrewBone

My only lever gun that's not an antique is a Marlin in 45-70, an Acusport model 1895ABL, w/6 shot tube and large lever. The laminated furniture is good looking and seems inpenetrable, I appreciate the thick buttpad, and the "larger loop" works well with my large hands.

I considered the Henry's at the time, but even with their outstanding furniturè the loading tube design caused me pause.

Anyway, I've had zero issues with the Marlin either mechanically or otherwise. It's finished well and operates nice. If I remember correctly I paid around $650+ for it new, probably at least 6 years ago(?).

[​IMG]

19. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

+1 for older Marlin.

20. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I like everything about the Henry except how it loads, so my .45-70 is a Marlin, as is my .44 Mag. lever action.

While it would not be true to their tradition, if Henry would introduce a model with a Marlin/Winchester-style loading gate, combined with their "all made in USA from US materials" advertising, everybody who shoots rifles would buy one.

MinervaDoe likes this.