Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone loading 44 special with Unique? I came into a box of berry's 240 gr plated that I'd like to make some plinkers for use in my 7 1/2" Ruger Super Redhawk. I'm finding a wide range of data for 44 special.

Hornady shows a max of 6.5 gr with their 240 gr cast, and and 5.7 gr. max with their 240 gr XTP.

Sierra STARTS at 6.8 with their 240 gr JHP, and a max of 7.6

Any recommendations with Unique, or some other powder you like?

·
Registered
21,731 Posts
I use cast loads with plated bullets, plated isn't the same as jacketed.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use cast loads with plated bullets, plated isn't the same as jacketed.
I follow that recipe also for mid-weight bullets in 9,40,38. But with heavier bullets you have to be careful playing with the low end. Plated and FMJ bullets (particularly heavier ones with a long bearing surface) don't slide down the barrel as easy as cast and can squib, particularly noted with reduced loads using 158 grain FMJ/plated in 38 special.

You have to get up from the starting load, I'm just trying to decide how far since the starting loads I'm finding vary quite a bit.

·
Registered
36,224 Posts
Anyone loading 44 special with Unique? I came into a box of berry's 240 gr plated that I'd like to make some plinkers for use in my 7 1/2" Ruger Super Redhawk. I'm finding a wide range of data for 44 special.

Hornady shows a max of 6.5 gr with their 240 gr cast, and and 5.7 gr. max with their 240 gr XTP.

There is a diff between lead, plated & jacketed. Any load you can put into a RSRH is going to be safe.

·
Registered
36,224 Posts
I follow that recipe also for mid-weight bullets in 9,40,38. But with heavier bullets you have to be careful playing with the low end. Plated and FMJ bullets (particularly heavier ones with a long bearing surface) don't slide down the barrel as easy as cast and can squib, particularly noted with reduced loads using 158 grain FMJ/plated in 38 special.

You have to get up from the starting load, I'm just trying to decide how far since the starting loads I'm finding vary quite a bit.
Plate & lead react pretty much the same with low end loads. Jacketed though, you never want to go below minimum. I have never seen a low vel plated load not leave a bbl if powder was in the case. A primer alone will stick a plated bullet about 2" into a bbl.

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
I have been loading 240 grain coated bullets with 6.5 grains of Unique. I shot ladders from 6.0 to 7.5. My accuracy suffered with the hotter loads. I am shooting with a 5" GP-100. The old Skeeter load was 7.5 grains of Unique with 240 grain cast bullets. Your big Redhawk should help with the recoil. Unique is a good powder for 44 Special.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
I have been loading 240 grain coated bullets with 6.5 grains of Unique. I shot ladders from 6.0 to 7.5. My accuracy suffered with the hotter loads. I am shooting with a 5" GP-100. The old Skeeter load was 7.5 grains of Unique with 240 grain cast bullets. Your big Redhawk should help with the recoil. Unique is a good powder for 44 Special.
:agree:

I used Unique for years until I went to a Dillon progressive reloading. Unique doesn't meter as well as other powders.

As papershoot said it has been used for decades. It was the powder of choice then and is still great. I loaded the 7.5 grains with 240 SWC by the thousands. Back then I only owned 44 magnums so the load would be considered very safe pressure wise.

This is why today I really like the 44 Special. Very mild with the ballistic of the 45 ACP. No one every said the 45 ACP was a weak round.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I loaded up a test batch at 7.0 grains, worked out very well. Might work a little up and down from here. Thanks for all the replies

·
18,968 Posts

I've loaded thousands of rounds of both 44 special and magnum with unique using mostly 200 and 215 grain bullets, both jacketed and cast. For 44 Special in a lightweight charter arms bulldog I settle on 200 grain XTP's which gave less recoil than 240 grain bullets. When loading reduced loads for 44 mag, Unique was excellent and my favorite bullet was a 215 grain gas check bullet from a Lyman mold and a 190 grain full wadcutter from another mold, #429348 I think it was. I also had a 240 grain Keith style bullet that was very accurate but was a hollow point single gang mold and casting bullets one at a time took twice as long as casting them two at a time.

One thing I discovered from loading both cartridges with the same powder and the same bullets was that the smaller case used one full grain less than the larger one to get the same velocity. Even so, I preferred using 44 mag cases for my reduced loads especially since the cases would last so long when using reduced loads. I would strongly recommend that you get a Loadbooks USA manual for the 44 magnum there is more data there than any other single manual.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012856166?pid=41037

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've loaded thousands of rounds of both 44 special and magnum with unique using mostly 200 and 215 grain bullets, both jacketed and cast. For 44 Special in a lightweight charter arms bulldog I settle on 200 grain XTP's which gave less recoil than 240 grain bullets. When loading reduced loads for 44 mag, Unique was excellent and my favorite bullet was a 215 grain gas check bullet from a Lyman mold and a 190 grain full wadcutter from another mold, #429348 I think it was. I also had a 240 grain Keith style bullet that was very accurate but was a hollow point single gang mold and casting bullets one at a time took twice as long as casting them two at a time.

One thing I discovered from loading both cartridges with the same powder and the same bullets was that the smaller case used one full grain less than the larger one to get the same velocity. Even so, I preferred using 44 mag cases for my reduced loads especially since the cases would last so long when using reduced loads. I would strongly recommend that you get a Loadbooks USA manual for the 44 magnum there is more data there than any other single manual.

Great info, thanks for your reply!

·
Wolverine
9,894 Posts
I’ve loaded Unique 5 gr with 240 gr LSWC as Cowboy loads and they were fine, however, my standard CAS load is Win 231 4.9 gr with the same bullet. I think the ball powder throws more consistently through my SDB.

·
Registered
420 Posts

/\ /\ /\
Completely agree with what BW says here.
I hate to have to clean out the lead and carbon ring that using special brass in magnum cylinders leaves.

·
In The Saddle
8,611 Posts
I have been loading for the 44's/45's for over four decades now, and I like Unique, and 2400, and those are the "only two," powders I ever use..

BEAWARE.... I load 'em hot 'some times...'

240/250gr "Hard Cast.." 6.5-7.5grs Unique
240/250gr Hard Cast... 12.0-15.5grs, and (up) 2400

6.5 Unique, is a nice sweet spot..!

I have a tad hotter, but won't post those! ;)

You can run 6.5 grs Unique 240/250gr all day in that Ruger... Again, I use 'Hard Cast bullets.' ALL these of mine are 99% in a Ruger SBH or "Old Model Vaquero." Some in a Smith 629, 3" and 4".

CanyonMan
:horse:

·
NRA Benefactor Life Member
3,408 Posts
HS6 likes 44/45 bore revolvers and in a Redhawk you can load it to mid-upper range of data no problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts