.44 revolvers

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by HollowPoint .45, Feb 8, 2010.

1. HollowPoint .45

HollowPoint .45 NRA Member

Alright guys, I'm looking for a good double action .44 to replace my old woods carry gun. The gun in question is a Ruger Vaquero in .45 LC with a 4 5/8 barrel. My criteria for replacing it are the fact that it does not shoot to point of aim past 15 yards. I really got my eyes opened last season after my rifle had a case malfunction and failed to extract. Which left me with a jammed rifle and a 180 class buck at 80 yards looking at me. :steamed:

My idea of a woods carry gun is a heavy caliber revolver small enoough for hip carry and accurate enough to take game at around 75 yards if the need arises. So the mission so to speak of this handgun would be finishing shots on game, general self defense against both 2 & 4 legged varmints, and finally to use as a backup gun in the event that my rifle jams or becomes unusable.

I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag with a 7.5 inch barrel and while it is accurate enough to do what I want it is also entirely too big for hip carry and I really dont want to carry in a shoulder holster.

My preferred hunting load is a 240 grain JHP handload at around 1400 FPS, and my plinking load is a 240 grain LRN at about 1000 FPS. Neither are in my opinion extremely hot loads that would cause excessive wear to the pistol.

After looking at the options and shooting some friends guns I've narrowed it down to the following models.

Ruger RedHawk 4.2 inch

[​IMG]

Ruger RedHawk 5.5 inch

[​IMG]

S&W 629 5 inch

[​IMG]

Or buy one of these carry the BlackHawk and hush?

[​IMG]

What does Glocktalk say?

2. bac1023

bac1023

The 629 and Redhawk are both great. I prefer the Smith, but the Ruger is a bit more rugged.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

I've owned a 629 Classic before, but it had a 6.5" bbl and I was faced with the same situation. I'm looking hard at the 4.2" Redhawk, but I'd have to replace the gigantic grips. Seriously, do they fit anyone's hands?

By the way, your 240 grainer won't be going 1,400 from a shorter barrel.

4. HollowPoint .45

Yep, I dislike the grips on that 4.2 as well. But you can pickup wood panels on gunbroker for about $20.

And Yep again more like 1200 FPS from a 5" barrel.

5. Chainlink

Chainlink

If weight is one of the issues I would look into leaving the .44 for a 10MM, G20 is really accurate and light. With 15 rounds of 200 grainers traveling 1105fps / 542 ft lbs at 100yds. Seems light powerful and accurate....sign me up...wait I already signed.

If a revolver in 44 it has to be, Ruger me.

6. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

My best friend loves the grips on his Redhawk.

But he's got freakishly large hands.

7. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

I've got a 5" 629 Classic. Perfect balance and performance. The 5" is hard to find, grab it if you can.

8. ronin.45

ronin.45

629 Mountain Gun. Good power and accuracy while light enough to wear on the hip all day. If you want a Ruger the 4" Redhawk is the way to go.

9. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

What's wrong with a short barrel SuperBlackhawk?

10. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

Unless you are a very good shot with a short(er) handgun, I think taking a 75 yard shot on game with a 4.2" gun might be stretching it's capabilities a bit. A 5.5" or 6" gun would make it easier, but still not a sure thing for most folks. If I am off-base in this assumption, then forgive me and ignore this advice.

Have you ever tried a cross-draw belt holster for the Super Blackhawk? How about a behind-the-back model? The cross-draw keeps it from banging into your slung rifle on long hikes (assuming you shoot rifles and handguns with the same hand; I don't).

11. HollowPoint .45

I agree a 4.2 does seem a bit short, why I'm asking.

Yeah, I use crossdraw all the time in the field. Still seems like a HUGE gun on my belt. :dunno:

12. bac1023

bac1023

I think he wants a DA revolver.

13. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

I really like the 5" S&W Classic. Perfect proportions, great performance. As many have noted, If you want to feed a steady diet of hot rounds, the Red Hawk will hold up better. For my part I would practice with lighter loads and only carry the hot stuff into the field. The Smithy will hold up just fine.

14. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

15. vafish

vafish

I used to carry my 7.5" Super Redhawk .44 mag as a 2nd gun while hunting. I carried it cross draw in a Bianchi Cyclone holster. Now I carry a 6.5" Black Hawk in .41 mag.

I really don't think you are saving any weight by carrying a 5" DA over your current 7.5" SBH.

If you just want an excuse to buy a new gun it's as good as any and I'd suggest the 5.5" Redhawk.

16. ChaneyD

ChaneyD

I love my Ruger Redhawk .44mag (not super redhawk). It comes in 4"-7.5"

17. txpitdog

txpitdog

Why don't you just change loads for your 45LC? If its shooting low, go with a heavier bullet; if high, then a lighter one. Anything heavier than 180gr will drop a deer inside 75.

Or chop the barrel on your SBH...

If you jsut want a new gun, then say so! No need to justify it. We all suffer from the same thing here.

18. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

Without adjustable sights its just too iffy. If you are shooting paper at 80 yards, fine, because a miss doesnt matter. When there is an animals life on the line, as an ethical hunter you have to be able to make that shot, or else you better not pull the trigger.

19. professor gun

professor gun

The S&W 629 Classic with a 5" barrel is primo. I have one and would highly recommend it.

20. mnhogrider

mnhogrider