44 mag question

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by blkpag1, Feb 22, 2010.

1. blkpag1

blkpag1

I am loading up a couple of 44 mag rounds using Clays (4.3 grain with 240 grain lead bullet).

Will I run into any issues using such a small amount of powder (ignition issues)?

2. thorn137

thorn137 Walther

That matches the starting load suggestion on Hodgdon's website datasheet, so I'd feel safe using it.

thorn

3. blkpag1

blkpag1

It is the starting load. It just seems like a lot of space between the primer and powder especially at a downward angle.

4. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

That'll work just fine. Note, however, that Clays is temperature and position sensitive. So, you may experience irregular ballistics because of environmental factors with that powder. That's why I stopped using it in big cases.

5. blkpag1

blkpag1

Any other suggestions on powder for lighter loads?

6. thorn137

thorn137 Walther

This is my current .44 mag load for a 240 lead round:

240gr SWC
    Universal Clays 6.6gr
    1.620 OAL

For a JHP, I started @
    Universal Clays 7.5gr, and have gone up to 8.0gr.
    1.610 OAL

Both are relatively light shooting rounds (for the caliber); I'm just going for fun, not SD or hunting. I have not tried other powders with 44mag.

thorn

7. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

My favorite is a 200 grain jhp and 12 - 12.5 grains of Unique. Very manageable, but still outperforms 99% of the 10mm loads out there.

Not sure if that's what you're asking, but there it is.

8. blkpag1

blkpag1

This will help. The loads are for my wife, she got herself a new gun and wants to work up to full power.

9. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

This powder by IMR............

TRAIL BOSS

[​IMG]
    Trail Boss was designed specifically for low velocity lead bullets suitable for Cowboy Action shooting. It is primarily a pistol powder but has some application in rifles. It is based on a whole new technology that allows very high loading density, good flow through powder measures, stability in severe temperature variation, and, most importantly, additional safety to the handloader.

10. fredj338

fredj338

I despise small powder charges in large cases. Way too easy to make an error, even for the most careful. How light do you want to shoot 240gr bullets? I find Unqiue works great down to 800fps or so. Below that, TrailBoss w/ lead bullets would be a good way to go w/ more than 1/2 the case being full. I don't think it's got any "new technology", but the shape of the flakes allows a high volumn of powder for low vel loads.

11. Hydraulicman

Hydraulicman

next is going to be tighgroup in 500 smith and wesson.:wow:

trailboss would be a great choice. I use it in 38 special for lead bullets

12. kendric98

kendric98

I feel your pain all i have is some bullseye so i loaded up 5 grains in my 45 colt cases with a 255 grain lswc in front. Looking into the case was like throwing a pinch of salt down a hallway. i should have just went 6 grains like good old Elmer. think i will have any problems in a 5.5 inch Ruger V?

13. partsman

partsman

23 grains of imr 4227 works for me or about 21 grains of 800 x also works well.
    if you are looking for cowboy loads i think american select has some loads for that.....

14. srd

srd

You could always pick up some 44 special brass and reload for her. Less space between bullet and primer with the load. Its also a pschyological thing when you had her the ammo to load her gun when its stamped 44 spec on the brass. It worked with my wife at the time. Also came in handy when i bought my Bull Dog. I didnt have to buy brass for it. [ good excuse to buy a new toy ]

15. BigDog[RE]

BigDog[RE] NRA Member

My everyday plinking load is a 240gr cast bullet on top of 8.5gr of Unique. Works great. Like was mentioned above, for powder puff loads, Trailboss is the way to go with the big 44 case to fill.

16. dla

dla

Clays is excellent for plinkers. I don't think I would use the starting load - might warm it up a touch otherwise you'll be able to see the slugs go downrange. I've used small charges of Clays in 30-30 and 45-70 cases for plinkers - in rifle cases, 7gr of Clays is usually the magic number. I've always used WLP and WLR primers and I've never had an issue with position sensitivity. You may get different results if you use a less powerful primer. Maybe someone with post the link to the site where they did all the light load development for CAS.

17. PBKing

PBKing

Unique

18. blkpag1

blkpag1

Thanks for the help I am going to try some of the suggestions.

19. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

+1 on this

CM

20. mineralman55

mineralman55

I've been using 4.8 - 5.0 grains of Red Dot with Federal #150 primers under a 240 grain LSWC. Works great, no pressure indicated, light, easy shooting load, relatively clean burn as well.