Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there may be a few threads on this already but I’d like a UP TO DATE opinion on the 2. I have a 43x now but seem that a lot of people prefer the 48 instead. Is it worth upgrading? Any noticeable shooting difference? Any input one may have would be appreciated. Thanks I’m advance.

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
I bought a two tone silver slide G48 early last year, and I liked it a lot.

Last month, I handled both a G43X and another G48 (in black) at a gun shop. I originally went in for the G43X, but left with another G48. I really just did not like it it as well as I thought I would, so I made off with the 48.

·
I'm not retired
7,809 Posts
We have one of each, now. No great diff in my critical opinion. The 48 may have an edge on the 43x as far as felt recoil when the slide reaches the point of being fully to the rear, but it is slight. The 48 is also a little easier to hit a target at a farther distance, but again, only slight. In the small of the back where I carry, you can definitely feel the longer slide of the 48...it's biggest draw back, IMO, but not deal breaking.

·
In The Saddle
9,606 Posts
Got all three, and prefer the 48, as it balances best, 'for me,' and I am not complaining about the xtra inch of velocity, little as it is, I'll take, and the sight radius works best as well, 'for me,' over the 43X. Both great pistols. Just not super fond of the short 43X, but I am workin on it...

CM
🐴

Font Material property Everyday carry Gun accessory Bullet

Font Gun accessory Metal Rectangle Auto part

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

Light Automotive tire Material property Auto part Font

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I love my 43x but am hoping to trade it for a 48, mainly because I appendix carry using a G48 length holster for stabilization, so I may as well fill the holster out.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Never Surrender.
1,661 Posts
The 43x seems to be the more popular choice, but I'm not into the short slide / long grip models such as the 43x, 19x, 45. People do seem to love them.

The 48 looks more balanced. The longer slide should make it a slightly better shooter and also aid in concealment appendix IWB. If I wanted a short slide I would get the short grip to match with the 43. Just my 2 cents.

Soon I will be buying a 48MOS / TLR-7sub and making that my concealed carry in the ten round commie state I visit often.

·
In The Saddle
9,606 Posts
I chose the 48 over the 43X solely because I've always wanted Glock to come out with a slimmer G19 and now that they have I had to follow through. The 43X would probably be better for CC but I have the Hellcat for that.

Amigo... not to derail here, but since I got ya... ha How do ya like the Hellcat ? I've sent mine back, got it back with NO help or fix, and am not real thrilled. Only issue. Very very wobbly 13 round mag. They said it is "Normal.." No way I assure you.
Yours? Mine is the FDE OSP model, and NO optic mounted though. Just the real loose shaky wobbling 13 rd mag...

Thanks

CM
🐴

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Amigo... not to derail here, but since I got ya... ha How do ya like the Hellcat ? I've sent mine back, got it back with NO help or fix, and am not real thrilled. Only issue. Very very wobbly 13 round mag. They said it is "Normal.." No way I assure you.
Yours? Mine is the FDE OSP model, and NO optic mounted though. Just the real loose shaky wobbling 13 rd mag...

Thanks

CM
🐴
Very pleased with it. Replaced the trigger with an Apex and am pleased with it, excellent for EDC. My 13s got some wiggle also I guess, doesn't concern me as they're reliable. I prefer to carry it with the flat 11rd mag to keep as compact as possible.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I've gone the full gambit, 43 to 48 to 43X.

couldn't get used to the short grip "pinky curled under the mag" grip of the 43.

48 was an improvement but a slim line version of my beloved Gen 4 23 in 9mm, I can do that with a conversion barrel and I'm mag rich in 19-17-23-22 mags so I wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be.

got a 43X MOS, ding-ding-ding-----we have a winner, basically a slim line 19 with a 26 slide (a 26X is what Glock should have come out with), this handgun is so concealable it hides itself, even with the Holosun 507K mounted it disappears IWB.

I've carried my 23 for years, the only complaint I have is its just heavy enough to require occasional adjusting to remain comfortable on an all day carry, not so with the 43X, I'm amazed with how comfortable it is.

I just got my order from Shield Arms today, the 3 mag/steel mag catch combo so once I proof the mags I'll start carrying and see how it compares to my 23.

I see it as my slimline 26X MOS, if it eats everything I feed it and don't complain I've got a new carry rig.

·
In The Saddle
9,606 Posts
Very pleased with it. Replaced the trigger with an Apex and am pleased with it, excellent for EDC. My 13s got some wiggle also I guess, doesn't concern me as they're reliable. I prefer to carry it with the flat 11rd mag to keep as compact as possible.

Thanks amigo, I appreciate the input... Yeh, my 13 round mag 'only' pinches and wobbles and flops. BUT, I found a fix, so I'll try that. Other than this , mine has ate all the ammo I've fed him, and I am loadin up more for another test round with him...

The mag does bother me, as under fire, and serious work, here comes the blood blister pinching and rockin mag.. Takes my concentration away a tad... I took some Talon grip tape, and placed a tiny little strip in the front of the 13rd base plate, where it goes up in mag well, and it is snug now, (normal snug) also a company on line sales the base plate to "stop" the excessive wobble in Hellcat. It does seem to be a hit or miss thing, some have it, we've 'seen,' some do not... Mine does! ha

Yes sir, nice reliable shooter as are ALL my Springfield's.. Hope my mag fix works... Springfield told me they WILL buy back the gun full price, if I don't like it.. That is a ace in the hole..

Well, glad your runs well in the mag department...
Thanks...

CM
🐴

·
Beretta 92 Nut!
6,232 Posts
I find that the 48 recoils less than the 43X. Noticeably less. And, the 48 balances better, IMHO

I also find that the 9mm Shield recoils noticeably less than the 43X.

Yes, I like Glocks - but I prefer certain models over others. For me - I'd get a Shield or Shield Plus before I got a 43X.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have both. I have the Ameriglo Sights, which I highly recommend.
I also have the Hogue Handall grips, which I also highly recommend.

I find very little difference in them other than the 43x rides a little better on my belt.
I also have the Shield Arms S15 magazines which do change the balance somewhat.
(again, highly recommended.)

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I find that the 48 recoils less than the 43X. Noticeably less. And, the 48 balances better, IMHO

I also find that the 9mm Shield recoils noticeably less than the 43X...
I can't disagree with you. There are one or two advantages of the 48 over the 43x. The one disadvantage for some is extra length while an advantage for others. I have to wonder what the height of those who prefer one over the other are. I know I couldn't tolerate the 48 for AIWB as the 43x is just at the comfort limit for me. As far as the recoil component, I found that just hanging a TLR-6 on the 43x sucked up a lot of energy. I'm not missing the extra leverage and carry stability as my holsters take care of that. Admittedly I am an average shooter (but working on it). Here's a short clip of me, coming out of a Versacarry slide holster (kydex would have been much faster). Distance to plates was 26' (8.7 yds). I'm slow, but notice the recoil management with the TLR-6. I've since added a DPM guide rod. The jury is still out if that adds any additional dampening or the extra "help" causes more muzzle dip. The video below is before the DPM.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Added energy from the longer G48 barrel. From my chrono tests. The G48 was very controllable with 9BPLE and produced 428 ft lbs.

G43
Federal Champion 115
1054 FPS - 283 energy - 121 power factor

Spear 124 +P
1105 FPS - 336 energy -137 power factor

Federal 115 +P+
1215 FPS - 377 energy - 139 power factor

G48
Federal Champion 115
1086 FPS - 301 energy - 124 power factor

Spear 124 +P
1179 FPS - 382 energy - 146 power factor

Federal 115 +P+
1295 FPS - 428 energy - 148 power factor

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
I have a 43 and bought a 48 a little while ago. Thought I would like the 48 better. But putting the 43 slide on, I found I much preferred the feel of the 43X setup to the 48.

It’s all personal preference.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts