Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Supports Our Flag
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a new 43X and noticed something I haven't seen mentioned here.

A small chamfer on the inside of the slide at the ejection port.

The 43X that Sootch00 used in his video also has the same chamfer.

Does your 43X [or 48] have this?

Anyone know or care to guess what its purpose is?

Top pic is my 43X. Bottom pic is a screenshot from Sootch00's 43X review.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Not seen that before but I bet it’s to allow an unfired cartridge to be ejected easier without getting caught since Glock started putting the small slot on the left breechface.

·
Registered
38,279 Posts
Well, it's at the right spot to help facilitate clearance of a live round ejection situation within a confined space.

Remember when older 1911 ejection ports started receiving lowered front cuts to help with that sort of problem? Some of them might've gotten a little overboard, though. I remember the first time I saw a lowered front port cut that exposed below the chamber sidewall. :eek:

Dunno know the answer according to Glock, as the 43X/48 wasn't announced before my last recert.

Reactions: HEXE9

·
Registered
38,279 Posts
It's been so long, but was that the extra cut that the NYPD G19's got when they were concerned about what was called a "phase 3 malfunction" many years ago?

To correct the problem, the Austrian-based Glock com pany has sent engineers to the NYPD's firing range at Rodman's Neck in the Bronx. Since June, they have re pair ed 3,200 weapons in a pro cedure that takes about an hour. Immediately afterward, officers tested the refitted weapons at the range, where the results have been ex cell ent, Collins said. The process will continue until all 24,000 Glocks are fixed, he said.
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/1695090/posts

I speculated the company was possibly asked to make a similar revision for a LE contract in the new models?

Dunno. There are so many other possible stoppages that could occur due to shooter error or ammo issues that it's just never been high on my list of potential concerns.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
It's been so long, but was that the extra cut that the NYPD G19's got when they were concerned about what was called a "phase 3 malfunction" many years ago?

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/1695090/posts

I speculated the company was possibly asked to make a similar revision for a LE contract in the new models?

Dunno. There are so many other possible stoppages that could occur due to shooter error or ammo issues that it's just never been high on my list of potential concerns.
No, you’re thinking if the ramped var1 cut on top of G19 barrels I believe. This facilitates earlier unlocking, but the Gen 5 19 did away with this feature. The G48, however, has a very pronounced ramp on top of the barrel.
I agree with the idea that this new cut is related to the newly added breach face cut, which does wonders for ejection. BTF is a thing of the past.

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
I'm thinking about a 43X. Please keep us all posted on conclusions. :cheers:

·
Registered
38,279 Posts
Wasn't referring to the breech face cut.

I was asking if your 19X or 45 had the chamfer like the pics show in the first post.
The width of the 19X/45's may not require it, while the narrower port opening of the 43X/48's may benefit from it. Just guess work, but when you start making slides and their port openings narrower, sometimes it might be helpful to incorporate a little extra clearance at the right spot(s).

Ejection timing has always been something engineers have had to consider. Remember when the Colt Model O pistols started coming with the scalloped rear section (to help prevent brass deformation during ejection)?

Taking into consideration faster, less obstructed empty case ejection (clearance of the port edges), as well as live round clearance (unloading or bad round removal), can present some different needs at one time or another. Different gun compny engineers approach these things in different ways, but shaping ejection pots and beveling their lower edges at critical spots has been a common method of resolving some of these issues.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.