Glock Talk banner

43x - Does this barrel crown look right to you?

4K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Barry581 
#1 ·
I bought this 43x 10 days ago, have put about 150 rds through it, it's sat it my safe or range bag in between, no carry duty, no dropping or sloppy handling. I think it shoots just fine and don't really care about this. But I'm wondering if their finishing work is generally this sloppy. Or is this indicative of some other issue?

See less See more
#4 ·
It's a build up of jacketing or lead material. This has been talked about before when the Gen5 came out and lots of us thought it was eroding of the crown, which it isn't. Or at least should not be. Some bullet types contribute to it more than others. A thorough cleaning with Hoppes #9 and a good bristle bore brush right after shooting usually gets rid of it but if you shoot a whole lot it builds up more. If you have a dental pick type instrument you can probably pick some of it off. The recessed Gen5 crown seems real susceptible to this.

#5 ·
I bought this 43x 10 days ago, have put about 150 rds through it, it's sat it my safe or range bag in between, no carry duty, no dropping or sloppy handling. I think it shoots just fine and don't really care about this. But I'm wondering if their finishing work is generally this sloppy. Or is this indicative of some other issue?

Stick the bl crown down in some Hoppes 9 and let it sit a while, then brush it.

#7 ·
I did run a barrel brush and Hoppe's 9 through it. I guess I'll try a toothpick and then dental pick in the crown. If you guys say it's not an issue, then I'll let it slide. I shot about 50 rds of factory and 100 of reloads. No other part of the gun suggests the reloads are particularly dirty, certainly nothing like the Russkie stuff.

#11 ·
The new crowns are actually a better way to do things, as countersinking them protects them better.

I doubt the buildup will affect anything, but Id still clean it anyway when I cleaned the gun. I wouldnt get too carried away though and do something detrimental. ;)

#12 ·
Sometimes a small amount of crud/powder residue/carbon/etc builds up here. NO worries. This is a "clean gun" (mostly) a 43X, they have a 'recessed barrel crown,' which is a 'good deal' for when you do whack the muzzle, it doesn't dent/scratch it..

NOTTA wrong with your gun amigo!

Sleep well! ;)

CM
:horse:

Revolver

Camera Cameras & optics

Material property Finger Hand

Camera Cameras & optics

#13 ·
It’s not carbon fouling but rather lead build up. Some wise guy will say that they only shoot jacketd bullets but pull one of those bullets and you’ll likely find a hollow base of exposed lead. When combustion takes place, behind the bullet, it atomizes the lead into a spray which will be deposited in the crown recess. After a range session, apply some Kroil to that area and allow it to soak in over night. The Kroil will penetrate beneath the lead and will be easily removed during your next cleaning session. This same technique works well on Comps in Open pistols as well.

#14 ·

Is that after it's been cleaned or hasn't it been cleaned?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.