43 Magazine extension good enough for carry?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ScottMn, Aug 18, 2019.

1. ScottMn

ScottMn

One of the reasons I really like my 26 is the flexibility of using larger magazines that are utterly reliable. I'm not concerned about using them for carry in the least.

I know that a few of the magazine extensions for the 43 have been out for a while now and I've been using the Pierce +1's on a few mags and they function very well but I would like a +2 or 3 as an option IF you guys have found them reliable.

If you have experience with a manufacturer and model that has worked well I would appreciate hearing about your experience.

Thanks

tuica likes this.
  2. Spartan24

Spartan24

Other than Pearce, the only 43 mag extensions that I have personally found reliable enough to be considered for carry are the Taran +1’s and +2’s. However I much prefer the Pearce because of their shape and polymer material.

3. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

Personally, the only 42/43 +1 that I trust as much as Glock OEM is MagGuts.

pjanthony likes this.
  4. Spartan24

Spartan24

5. fistagon

fistagon

The Vickers +2 base plates worked great for me. I carried them

6. Dr_fast

Dr_fast

926DA727-9115-44A0-A53C-0177C1B09669.jpeg IMHO...
    I have been watching this for a really really long time.
    I agree with you on the G 26 versus 43 opinion.
    What you’re going to run into is a mixture of opinions. No extensions are 100%.
    Regardless of what you choose you must test it yourself.
    There are also spring fatigue issues so something may test out fine now in a year or two from now not necessarily .
    I’ve never seen anything that is reliable as factory Glock.
    And...
    If you put a plus anything on , Except maybe some +ones, but I didn’t even take a chance with those, run longer stiffer springs. I even have them on my +ones. Glock store for example makes some nice ones. It only makes sense and most of the people who reported +2 is working initially, and then not later, usually didn’t change the springs. Now most +2 come with longer springs but not all. Picture is the Glock store spring versus factory.
    Ultimately, roll the dice, or just carry your G 26 more like I do.

DocPoison and Wizzz like this.
  7. paragon1

paragon1

My +1 and +2 Tarans are 100% reliable after about 1000 rounds between 3 mags with them.

I think the +2 need a + spring. It’s been a while.

vba likes this.
  8. ScottMn

ScottMn

Thanks Gentlemen, This is not really a 26 vs 43 thing since for me, the 26 carries differently and is a larger gun with more capacity. I use the 43 for ankle and AIWB mostly and occasionally carry it OWB. It would be nice to have the option of carrying an extra couple of rounds if I choose to when carrying AIWB or OWB. Not absolutely necessary at all since the 26 is always there along with my 19 and 30S but I'm a little spoiled with the versatility of the 26 and if there was an option out there that was reliable.

The Pearce +1's I've had on a couple of magazines for over 2 years. I don't count rounds but I take it out twice a month and put 50 or so rounds through them each time so there's a couple of thousand through them and no issues at all. I should probably change out the springs soon though.....thanks for the reminder.

tuica, Dr_fast and ArtificialGrape like this.
  9. DennisP

DennisP

I have a Pearce+1 and some Vickers +2 that have been reliable so far. I use the Pearce for carry and have a Vickers +2 for a spare mag. 7+1and 8 rounds in the spare, 16 rounds i should be good to go.

Dennis P.

tuica likes this.
  10. SK2344

SK2344

I recently bought a "FAB DEFENSE" 4 round extension from my LGD and it works great! It was not very expensive but a bit tricky to Install. It has it's own spring in the extension that works with the mag's spring. If you have a butt plug on your grip you have to remove it or shave it down just a bit because the extension hits the plug and won't seat properly. I shaved some material off the end of the plug and it works perfectly. I use it for a back up mag and carry it in my pocket.

11. pgg00

pgg00

I have a couple 43 mags with taran +2. So far they have been 100%

DocPoison and vba like this.
  12. kme

kme

Suggest you look at ETS magazines. If you want to carry in an ankle holster suggest you carry with an OEM 6 round magazine and keep a spare 12 round ETS magazine in your pocket. Best of both worlds, reliability and smaller footprint of an OEM magazine with the capacity of an aftermarket magazine.

I have and trust Magguts +1 inserts and have read good reviews of the Magguts +2 inserts on this forum.

https://www.etsgroup.us/ETS-Glock-43-9mm-12-round-mag-p/glk-43-12.htm

13. NorCalG

NorCalG Trifecta = 1911, J Frame & Glock

Agreeden! I ****s with the +3 rounder from Taran and that was the one that didn't have the 100% reliability the +2 did.

14. Judgemax

Judgemax

My +2 Tarans have been 100%. They came with extended springs. Their additional weight helps them drop free. Wrap a little skate board tap around the front and sides for pinky traction.

Then get a 43X :cowboy:

DocPoison likes this.
  15. Dr_fast

Dr_fast

Oh, and by the way, most +2 are going to make you about the same if not exactly the same length as a 43X.

DocPoison likes this.
  16. ShaneS

ShaneS Millennium Member

I have had good luck with Taran +1s and the Pearce +1s. I did not have good luck with the Magguts +1 for the G43 but have had good luck with Magguts in the G42 and Shield.

The beauty of the G43 is its shorter grip for deeper concealment. You can make a G43 grip longer with extensions but you can't make a G43x grip any shorter. I have some G43 mags for deep concealment and others with extensions for belt carry. The G43 is more versatile.

The Taran +1 is only 1/8" longer than the standard baseplate and doesn't hurt pocket carry at all in my experience.

DocPoison, ScottMn and vba like this.
  17. TeaDub

TeaDub

I had issues with the Pearce and went back to stock, flush. I now prefer them.

For anyone that carries a 43 with extensions, my advice would be to spend a few extra dollars and vet them with extra quantities of hollow points you carry. There has been an issue with the last round or two especially, getting hung up even after hundreds of FMJ have been run through the mag without problems. Buy an extra box or two and do cycles of putting an FMJ in the chamber. Load one or two JHP and repeat.

YMMV

DocPoison, ShaneS and Dr_fast like this.
  18. vba

vba

I've had good reliability with Taran and Magguts +2's. The Magguts would make the gun shorter in grip than the 43x.

19. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I have been using Pearce in Glocks for about 25 years. Never had a problem with them.

The only problems I have ever seen with magazine extensions for Glocks is going to apply no matter what brand - the length of your magazine spring is right for a stock magazine but every round you extend the magazine body, while still using the stock spring, is that much you decrease the spring pressure pushing those cartridges up. The spring not only has to be able to lift them, it has to be able to lift them fast enough to have the next round in place before your slide gets back to the spot where it need to feed it. This, in turn, will vary with your ammo, grip and recoil spring. 1-round extension, you are probably good to go. As it gets longer, you need to look for one with a replacement spring, or else you need to buy your own extra power mag springs (probably from Wolff).

20. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

I've had a Glock OEM extension completely **** the bed and come off of a magazine during firing. I've never had the same thing happen with a Pearce extension. With that said, for a gun that will be used to defend my life, I will only use Taran Tactical extensions.