.40S&W VS .45 ACP in a SHORT barrel S/D,CC gun

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by CBennett, Feb 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. CBennett

CBennett

Ok I had read on here and I cant find the thread to link it that someone was saying that in a SHORT barrel gun as in LESS than 4" and more like 3-3.5 that the .40 S&W is more effective...well what is the consensus on that statement. Reason I ask is im gonna be looking for a smaller/thinner CC weapon for my next gun. I had gone with .40S&W because it was actually cheaper and more available locally...well its not anymore..I can find .45 ACP for the SAME price and just as often as .40S&W if not MORE often. So in a shorter barrel CC gun(Taurus pt145,Glock36,Walther PPS .40, 1911 4" model(in both .45 or .40), something of that sort is what im looking at). id seen caliber wars B4 but had not noticed anyone ask the shorter barrel question B4..just .40 or .45 battles but nothing about the 2 in a shorter barrel CC weapon.

2. Tmygun

Tmygun

Speer makes some fine Gold Dot loads for short barrels. I think one of those in 45acp would work great. In fact, I wouldn't hesitate using a 45acp with a flat point fmj. It will, after all, still put a BIG 45 hole in a bad guy. The 45acp lived a long time with the plain vanilla 230gr. fmj doing the job. Now, with premium loads, I don't think the 45acp can be beat.
    This is not to take anything away from the 40S&W, it's a fine cartridge. But I like the story of the woman reporter asking a mounted policeman why he carried a 45. He replied, because they don't make a 46:supergrin:.

Tmygun

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010

3. fredj338

fredj338

I think most non +P loads in 45acp are easier to shoot well in the smaller guns than most 40 loads. There just seems to be more torque w/ the 40 & more shove w/ the 45. Either will ruin a BGs day.

4. CBennett

CBennett

only reason I asked was when saying I may just move to .45 ACP because its the SAME price as S&W .40 now days says to me that I may want to rethink that because of a test(he didnt provide any link to the test or info) that said .40 actually outperformed .45acp in short barrel guns..I didnt know what to think is why I asked..I also think .45 has recoil but more of a push than a SNAP that .40 has

5. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

This may not be the most accurate chart. http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/45auto.html But it may give you some idea. look here at the 230gr 45acp load in the 4" barrel @ 983fps.

Now look at the 40s&w in a 18ogr bullet out of a 4" barrel @ 1016fps
    http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/40sw.html..

No big deal there to me.

I carry the 45acp in both commander and Gov length with FMJ ammo.
    I really do not see any "major advantage" IMO in the performance of the 40 over the 45 in this senerio you mention.

Then of course I'd rather have the 45 any way..

CanyonMan

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  6. aujrb

aujrb

Ultimately, IMHO it's a matter of personal choice. Get whatever you want.

.45 ACP has a long and well earned reputation. .40S&W is well on it's way with a huge LEO following.

Personally, I like the .40. I like the higher capacity, compact size, and LE following.

As far as ammo, I can find just about any of the S/D ammo I need in .40 or .45. Coin toss there.

I guess what I'm trying to say is....Just get what you want. :thumbsup:

7. DRT

DRT

.40S&W was designed around a 4" barrel, the .45 was designed around a 5" barrel. Compared to a .45 ,going to a 3.5" barrel subcompact in .40 is no big deal.

8. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 JABRONI AUTIST

The 3.5" G27 is one effective carry piece. Great size and power. I know the G27 wasn't mentioned, but from the short 3.5" barrel, the G27 performs great!

9. Lloyd-Xmas

Lloyd-Xmas

I've also seen it stated that once you get below 4", the 45acp loses a lot more velocity than a .40 or 9mm. For myself, I like 9mm in a sub-compact. You don't lose much by going with a shorter barrel with 9, and getting back on target quickly starts to get tough with sub-compact big bores.

10. remat

remat

40 for me in sub-barrel lengths. It is a high pressure round that loses little velocity. A Glock 23 to 27 is only a loss of 30-50fps depending on load.

I recently saw some Colt Defender #'s and the rounds were going a little over 700fps (sorry, cant remember what weight they were).

In a fullsize? A 230gr +P is a force to be reckoned with. Both, regardless of barrel length are excellent rounds.