close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

40S&W over the 9mm/ why?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by mike g35, Aug 16, 2011.

1. mike g35

mike g35

I seem to shoot a 40S&W alot better than I do a 9mm. Why would that be? I think I may be more confident with the higher power factor and the muzzle flip feels is like a 9mm to me. I shot a G17 in CivAm but I will now be shooting my new G22 so all my guns will be forties and because I prefer that caliber. Does anyone know why I would shoot a G22 40cal better than I do a G17 9mm? I have no idea but I knew the people here were the ones to ask.

2. ede

ede Bama's Friend

maybe you don't know any better

3. mike g35

mike g35

:rofl:You may be right!!!! I was thinking about it and maybe the higher level of recoil makes me take more time in between shots hence making me shoot more accurately. That's all I can come up with. The 40S&W can't be all bad Ed you told me the G24 rules the competition division didn't you? Anyway I guess it's really just a preference thing. But I haven't lost my mind I still have my 9's.

4. dvrdwn72

dvrdwn72

I also seem to shoot 40's best as well. So I now have 22,23,27, and a gen 4 35. I no longer have my 19 and 26.

5. mike g35

mike g35

I think the 40 may be simply a more accurate round IN MY HANDS (not starting a caliber debate) than the 9mm. Some guys like the 45acp in competition some the 9 and some the 40. Like I said before it's a preference thing. What caliber wins the most matches well I am sure it's the 9mm but is that because of the round or because there are so many 9's out there. The 9 has less recoil but a good grip on a gun chambered for either one and recoil shouldn't be an issue. All I know for sure is I can shoot my G22 ALOT better than I can my G17.

6. ede

ede Bama's Friend

actually i used a .40 for a long time, G23, G22, G27, G35, G24 once I think. not sure but i suspect i'm one of GSSF's more sucessful shooters using a .40. tried 9mm for a few matches and went back to .40 then about 2 years ago i went back to 9mm and have stuck with it ever since, except the .45 G30 for HM and Sub. i shot the .40s at indoor GSSF matches and got 500s with all of them, but the G27. have a boat laod of 498s trying for 500 but never got it.

for the most part i perfer the .40, shoot it in my 1911s and revolver plus a few Glocks.

i might tell you anything. the truth maybe something different, you need to be able to figure out which is which.

7. mike g35

mike g35

:rofl:Good one Ed. I think I will just stay with the gun I shoot best and leave the "figuring out" out of the equation. The only Glock in 40 cal I have shot that I didn't care for was the G27 but thats because I don't like the sub's. I considered (and wrote a thread about it) getting a G30 for subcompact division but I think I am going to stay in the CivAm, Comp., and UL divisions for a while. I wouldn't have switched my competition gun from a G17 to a G22 if the frames were different but obviously they aren't. And really I wanted to try a 40 since I shoot it better and give my dad, who is more sensitive to recoil, my G17 so he would enjoy shooting GSSF. I will do anything to get my dad to shoot competitions with me and if he does, then win or lose, I win.:supergrin:

8. trlcavscout

trlcavscout

I started out useing a G17 for GSSF and a G22 for CCW and work, then decided it was better for better or worse to use the G22 for everything. I am by no means a master but my score was 10 seconds better at my first GSSF match with the G22 then it was with the G17? May be improvement on my part or may be I am more used to the .40. I will find out this weekend at Greeley. My wife also prefers the G22 over the G17 though. I am gonna break out the G27 for sub but I may get laughed out of the place, I took it to the range the other day and did not do well at all past 15 yds. Maybe it will get traded for another G22?

9. Revvv

Revvv

No 9mm here. 40S&W does the job just fine while punching a slightly larger hole in the target. If I were going to go with another caliber it would be a 45.

10. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

Never change a winning ball game; utilize, don't analyze. If .40 works for you and you get good scores, just do it, use it. You don't have to know why it works, just that it works for you. It's preference why I love my Honda CR-V and others like pick up trucks! I prefer a 9mm, just because I don't like the snap of a .40 caliber. That's just me, though, it doesn't make it right or wrong to use he .40. I also like .45 and think it's power is great. A Glock 21 is powerful, but sweet. Just do as you're doing and keep improving those scores and enjoying GSSF events and you don't have to wonder why. Keep up the great work and I hope to see you at Lexington in October.

11. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

Just one observation that I have not seen discussed.......Cost of the ammo!

9MM is cheaper to purchase and/or reload.

FWTW

Dan:cool:

12. mike g35

mike g35

You are totally right, and I will be seeing you in Lexington. I will be shooting all the GSSF events in my immediate area OH, KY, and WV and maybe Conyers GA. Thanks, Mike

13. trlcavscout

trlcavscout

But reloading 40 at about $150/1k is still cheaper then buying 9mm :supergrin: And it makes bigger holes if your close to the line.

14. jdwatson

jdwatson

I chose .40 out of analysis. I probably should have shot other guns and other calibers but I went with the G23 for my 1st and only handgun. I'm determined to master it. I would like to shoot it as well as others shoot 9mm or any caliber. I suspect the lack of precision & speed is a loose nut behind the trigger and not the caliber of choice. :)

15. SMLR

SMLR

When comparing my competition guns, I can shoot tighter groups with my G22. However, I prefer shooting my G17 because I can shoot it faster, and there's not enough of a difference in accuracy to warrant switching to the G22.

On a different note, have you ever tried shoting .40 minor? I know of several shooters that handload downloaded .40s for competition, and strongly favor them over 9mm loads. I'm not sure of the receipes, but from what I've heard they're launching 155gr bullets at around 850fps.

16. Roadkill_751

Roadkill_751 5 or 6 rounds?

Bigger holes in your target, makes it easier to call your shots. Just my two cents worth..:whistling:

17. trlcavscout

trlcavscout

I had been useing 180gr but have been playing with 165 and 155. I will probably use 155 this weekend in 1 division and 180 in the other with my G22 for real world comparison, same powder/charge etc. 165gr for my G27. All else the same their is a big difference between 180 and 155, just cant tell which is better yet :dunno:

18. rabump199

rabump199

I use my G22 for GSSF and IDPA. I use whatever is the cheapest for ammo for GSSF and I have to use clean ammo for my IDPA league. I shop on the web for both ammo. Usually use 180g FMJ but will take whatever I can get.

19. ede

ede Bama's Friend

some day i'd like to try a .40 again with a 180gr. minor load. i tried laoding my 135s down but they didn't have the reliability the "full power" 135s did.

20. mike g35

mike g35

I haven't started handloading yet do to a lack of space but loading the 40 to major is what I have been thinking about shooting GSSF with. I am shooting my first USPSA match in about two weeks and I want to make major PF there so I think I should shoot the same ammo regardless of the competition. I bought a Nosler reloading manual today to start looking at what powders and bullets I may be buying in the near future and to get an overview of how to reload. There's just one thing, aren't we supposed to be shooting factory ammo at GSSF matches????