.40S&W in Glock 19 mags?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Deputy, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Deputy

Deputy Millennium Member

I did a search before posting this and came up with nothing. Simple question...will .40 S&W work in Glock 19 9MM mags? I am converting my Glock 19 to a Glock 23 and will be using Glock 22 mags temporarily. I started wondering if .40 S&W ammo would work reliably in 9MM mags?

2. ctxcummins

ctxcummins

No. And a G19 will always be a 19. Meaning, you can't convert it to a .40 or .357 SIG. Only the other way around.

Keith Pierson likes this.

3. GRR

GRR

Well, you can use a 19 frame. It's the same as a 23 frame. But you'll have to put a 23 slide and barrel on it.

4. Mike-M

Mike-M

You will need a complete G23 slide assembly, including the slide, barrel, RSA, firing pin, extractor, and spring-loaded bearing. ALL of these parts are different from 9mm versions. In the frame, a new Trigger Mechanism Housing with appropriate Ejector will be needed. New 40SW magazines must be used.

You wind up with a pieces-parts Glockenstein monster of questionable reliability and minimum resale value, and spend more money than a proper used complete G23 would have cost.

The wisdom of such an ill-conceived project is not readily apparent.

cptnawesome and DirectDrive like this.
  5. DirectDrive

DirectDrive

Sounds like a giant cluster.
    Good luck.

cptnawesome likes this.
  6. bigsteve113

bigsteve113

Probably not. I can tell you for sure, from experience, that 9mm won’t reliably run in Glock .40 mags. Multiple malfunctions.

Glockdude1 likes this.
  7. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

I came in to ask if that was possible, at least without an aftermarket slide.

8. ctxcummins

ctxcummins

I'm not sure if you could even with a lot of millwork due to the breechface differences

Keith Pierson likes this.
  9. Deputy

Deputy Millennium Member

Exactly right. Glock 19 and 23 use identical frames. I went to GlockStore and bought a complete Glock 23 slide assembly. Went on E-Bay and got Glock 23 trigger housing. I was actually tempted to get a green Glock compact frame from off Gunbroker, but want to check the conversion out first. So saying "Glock 19 will always be a Glock 19" is not correct. :supergrin:

In the end it just means I have a Glock 19 AND Glock 23. Personally, I prefer the .40 S&W. :supergrin:

happie2shoot and Mr Meeseeks like this.
  10. Bradley T

Bradley T

Accidentally stuffed a .40 in a 9mm magazine. It didn't feel quite right but slipped in easily enough. Didnt come out so easy. I had to disassemble the magazine to get it out the bottom. No, it doesn't work, and be careful not to have differing ammo and different pistols on the same firing line bench at the same time!

11. Deputy

Deputy Millennium Member

Ouch! Thanks for that info!

12. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I think that depends on the gun and barrel. When I use my Alpha Wolf 40-9 conversion barrel in my G35, when shooting lighter 9mm loads, my gun actually feeds better using the G22/G35 magazines. When I use G17/G34 magazines, I can get a few more feed issues and a lot more BTF.

Sorry for the hijack.

bigsteve113 and happie2shoot like this.
  13. roundball

roundball This is the set-up for reloading

All that must have cost more than a G23. Getting a G23 seems like a no risk move.

14. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

Kind of my thoughts as to what it would take.
    I question the motivation, and it's your decision in the end, but you can almost buy a new G23, and certainly a gently used one for the price of the slide assembly (yea I saw the sale as well), have 2 reliable guns, not have to go to the trouble and extra expense.
    It just seems a bit out of the ordinary to take it that direction, and I'm a .40 fan. It is the only caliber my wife and I shoot.
    I hope it works for you and is what you were expecting.

15. DirectDrive

DirectDrive

Well, Lenny trashed the budget (IMO) at $450 if that's what you paid.
    If you selected Gen 4 you will have to apply additional searching and dollars vs. Gen 3 in regards to the frame.
    Police trade-in G23 would have been in the low $300's
    A new G23 Gen 4 is under $500

16. Doughnutman_923

Doughnutman_923

I was issued A Glock 17 MOS when I switched departments and 2 of the 3 mags had .40s&w loaded in them.

I was given a G17 with three loaded mags at the range (out of the box) and started qualifying....when I had a failure to feed. I attempted a tap/rack drill but the slide was stuck. I had to really grab the slide and the round finally popped out and the next one got stuck. Inspected it and turns out it was loaded with 10-11 rounds of 9mm and the last 7 rounds were .40 in two of the mags.

I wonder how long the guy worked with .40 in the mags

17. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

the good thing about the Glock 23, is that if you dont want to buy new mags, there are tons of police trade in mags out there. $15/each for these. And if you haven't bought that slide yet, there are police trade in 23's out there for less than you will pay for a new slide.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/144451

18. happie2shoot

happie2shoot

OP, try shooting 9mm in 40 mags and shooting 40 in 9mm mags,
    I do it all the time, even shoot 9mm, 357 sig and 40 in 10mm mags.

You will not know until you try.

Before the OEM jabber starts, with some glocks I have had better
    reliability with AM barrels.

WeeWilly likes this.
  19. ctxcummins

ctxcummins

GT distributors has LE trade in G23s for around $300. Probably less than you paid for the slide and you don't have to piece it together for something that may not even run.

If you purchased a "green Glock compact frame" that was originally a G19....surprise! It's still a G19. The serial will always show it as a G19. A bubba'ed 19, but still one nonetheless.

So much work for no good reason.

20. Deputy

Deputy Millennium Member

Even if I did sell my Glock 23 conversion, I would sell it with the Glock 19 parts on it and the 23 slide/trigger housing as an additional bonus. But I ain't selling nothin'. Geez...most of the Glocks I owned, the slides didn't match the frames because I traded them in for the finger-grooved versions. Nobody said squat about numbers not "matching" when I got rid of them when I moved to NM.
    I am fully aware of the Glock 23s available from AIM surplus. I bought my Gen 3 Glock 22 LEO trade-in from them. Unfortunately, what they are selling is Gen 4 Glock 23s. I am not a fan of Gen 4 at all. All my Glocks are Gen 3. So not an option. I also don't want to drop down to other sources that are in "very good" condition. By just buying the NEW upper and NEW trigger housing, I end up with an essentially NEW gun. I have only fired one box of 50 through my 19. So there is almost zero wear on the frame.