40s&w Glock 27 for woods carry?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by undercover500, Feb 10, 2017.

1. undercover500

undercover500

Looking for a hiking gun, was originally going to get the Glock 20, then the 29, and then I was flirting with the idea of a revolver, but I want something that can be easily concealed, yet have enough power to do the job on smaller 4 legged threats, wild dog, coyote, hog, possibly a black bear but not likely, etc.

I was at a LGS yesterday and tried a Glock 26 in the pocket, didn't think about trying the 27. But from what I can acsertain, they are the same size, everything, the 27 is marginally heavier than the 26. The 26 felt good in the pocket, a bit big, but good. I was thinking about 9mm for a hiking gun but my thinking that 9mm is a bit light, but better than nothing. So why not a 27 in 40?

I won't carry a lightweight 357 revolver, just not into punishing myself, don't want to, for personal reasons, open carry a larger firearm, and I want a caliber that's easy to find and relatively inexpensive because my thinking is I'll likely never run into a situation where I'll need to pull the trigger on a wild animal to protect myself, so why get a hard to find and expensive caliber, but I want something heavy and hard hitting enough that it'll kill or injure a wild animal enough to stop its train of thought/attacking me.

Do you think that a Glock 27 carried in a pocket holster, loaded with Buffalo Bore's 200gr hard cast that runs roughly 950ft/sec and outputs roughly 400ft/lbs of energy would be good enough for woods carry?

2. THREE PERCENT

THREE PERCENT

My Girlfriend ventures out in the woods with me always, she is my back up. She carries a XD40 subcompact. I'm not a big fan of subcompacts and prefer mid to full size. She has hers loaded with critical defense in I think 165 grain. We don't worry much about black bear as they have always run like hell when encountered. Mountain lion and 2 legged creeps are more of what we prepare for and Mt lion aren't that tough so you should be fine on that end.
    I carry a 21SF loaded with 230 XTP or 230 FMJ

GunTotinMama and slamdunc like this.

3. KenB22

KenB22

I think a G27 is a great choice if those are the critters you are concerned about. I carry mine stoked with 180 grain gold dots.

I also have some 200 grain WFNGC rounds from Double Tap if the critters are a bit bigger

packinaglock likes this.
  4. Jump Boot

Jump Boot

45 acp is easy to find and usually less expensive then 40 S&W. I have a 45 M&P Shield that I feel would make a fine woods carry pistol.It's light enough to carry that you won't leave out that extra canteen of water.

5. Chordeiles

Chordeiles

Do you think that a Glock 27 carried in a pocket holster, loaded with Buffalo Bore's 200gr hard cast that runs roughly 950ft/sec and outputs roughly 400ft/lbs of energy would be good enough for woods carry?[/QUOTE]

Yes

gatorboy, mc1911 and Glockworks like this.
  6. Jump Boot

Jump Boot

Yep,the 27 in 40 cal. should work fine too,in answering your question like I have been reminded.

7. MedicineBow

MedicineBow Formerly TFLWYO

Yeah, the .40 should work. But, the Glock 26 with 147 grain Buffalo Bore +P hard cast Outdoorsman should work also, with faster follow up shots. We used to have a Glock 27 many years ago, but it went down the road. Right now, my wife and I mostly carry 9mm in the woods with the Outdoorsman ammo.

8. undercover500

undercover500

I was also looking at carrying the Glock 43 or 26 loaded with Buffalo Bore's 9mm+p outdoorsman which I believe off the top of my head is 147gr hard cast. I'd ideally like to not add another caliber (40), I have 9mm, and will be owning several 45's down the road. My other calibers are 22 and 380. Id like to stick with 22, 380, 9mm and 45 if at all possible.

I guess my biggest thing is I want something that's easy to carry and has enough power to dissuade a 4 legged attacker. I don't live in Alaska, the largest threat here would be a black bear but they usually aren't aggressive, my main concern is a Wild/over territorial dog, feral pig, cougar, coyote, wolf. I'll likely never run into any of these animals anyway, so I don't see the neee to run out and buy a 10mm or 44mag. I guess I'm just looking for something with enough power to do the unlikely job

My ideal woods carry gun would be a Glock 43 carried in a pocket holster loaded with hot Buffalo Bore hard cast. I've been doing some research and really the only advantage the 40 has over the 9 in a subcompact gun is weight and diameter. The 9mm actually moves faster and has roughly 25ft/lbs less than the 40. I believe the 9mm is 147gr and the 40 is 200gr.

Do you think a Glock 43 loaded with Buffalo Bore 9mm+p Hard cast would suffice as well?

9. undercover500

undercover500

Sorry didn't see your reply, on my phone. What gun do you carry the 9mm outdoorsman in? I'm looking at both the 26 and 43 but leaning towards the 43 for ease of Pocket carry.

10. Jump Boot

Jump Boot

Humm,never heard of the Buffalo Outdoorsman ammo until you mentioned it and I did a search and looked it up. I totally agree with your choice and knowing what I know with casting my own bullets and hunting,that is a fantastic choice for the woods and anything you might encounter within reason,like no King Kongs or T-REX.

11. undercover500

undercover500

Buffalo Bore is about the best you can get for someone who doesn't handload or cast their own. I think even in the 9mm, their 9mm+p outdoorsman offering should take care of most anything I'm liable to come across. 9mm is a pretty good penetrator too, it is small enough to be able to get in there yet big enough to do damage. I've done a lot of research on various loadings and sometimes it seems as though 9mm penetrates the deepest out of all the common calibers.

12. Jump Boot

Jump Boot

Humm,G-26 or G-43,not a whole lot of difference in the barrel length so probably not a big difference in velocity loss do to both having short barrels.I guess the thing to really look at is the round capacity.In that case it would depend if you were attacked by 6 wolves or 10 wolves.Just kidding. I don't think you could go wrong with either one. If backpacking,which I have been known to do,then every ounce counts.I found that out the older I got and the more humping I did.

13. undercover500

undercover500

Haha, well regardless of capacity, semi autos are relatively easy and quick to reload. I'd much rather have to reload a 6 round Glock 43 than a 6 shot revolver.

I think I'm leaning towards the 43 even though it has a smaller capacity it's vastly easier to carry in the pocket, weight and bulkiness wise, and since this is a gun I'll be carrying hiking, camping and just being outdoors, I want something I won't regret carrying after a few miles.

This is just a day hiking gun, but I do wear a water bladder pack and IWB would get in the way of a pack or be obstructed whatever way you want to look at it, I won't carry OWB due to personal reasons with the lack of concealment, so I'm looking for a pocket gun. I figure the 43 loaded with hard casts is about as good as it gets for concealment, comfort and power

14. MedicineBow

MedicineBow Formerly TFLWYO

15. Delleetodd

Delleetodd

With the Glock 27 you can also get a Glock 33 barrel and shoot .357 sig.

Groo01, Pierre! and greg vanstralen like this.
  16. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

My G-27 is in my Realtee jacket pocket as I type and sit in the grocery store waiting on the Dragon Lady to finish shopping. Loaded with 180 gr WINCHESTER PDX-1 I fear no man or beast.

hnp684, mrmike7189 and MedicineBow like this.
  17. undercover500

undercover500

18. Need4Speed

Need4Speed

I'd rethink the G29. You can get a 40S&W conversion barrel for the G29 (Example:Alpha Wolf). Run your 40S&W, but when you think you might run into larger critters you take that step up to 10MM and let er rip! You can even get a conversion barrel for 9MM.....9x25 Dillon that is! That's also a "blast" to shoot!

There are TONS of different choices for 10mm ammo. You can get good quality brass cased target/plinking ammo for 15 bucks a box. S&B or Armscor 180gr is about 1150/540ft-lb, and even that stuff is hotter than the hottest available 180gr 40S&W out there.

ModGlock17 likes this.
  19. Jump Boot

Jump Boot

I like the way you think.

undercover500 likes this.
  20. fredj338

fredj338

For dogs/coyotes, even a 22lr works. If I was worried about any bear, I want more gun than a G27, regardless of the ammo you stuff in it.
    Speed of reloading a trail gun is moot. I lean to revolvers as trail guns because of their versatility. They are not ammo dependent; you can use reduced loads for taking game, shot loads for snakes & such. Still, I have warmed to my G20sf as a light trail gun. It shaves about 1# off my 4" M29.:nsb: