4000+ rounds, what would you replace?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by MonsterB, Mar 3, 2010.

1. MonsterB

MonsterB

So Ive got a bit more than 4000 rounds through my g26 and was thinking it might be time to replace some parts...I just detail stripped the slide this week, and everyting looks good. I do notice that my recoil spring is alot easier to put in since when it was new, but I tried the test on Glockparts.com and it seems to still be ok. Would you replace all the springs with the spring kit, just the recoil spring, or nothing at all? I have only had one fte in all those rounds!

2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Recoil spring would be the only thing I would replace, I replace at the 4-5k

3. glocknick

glocknick

the only thing i might replace is the recoil spring. its really up to you and how comfortable you are carrying it that round count. i carry mine all the time with all the original parts with around 3000 rounds and still have had 0 issues. maybe in a another 3-5000 rounds i might replace the recoil spring.

4. G23c

G23c

I agree, not just yet, but the only thing would be the recoil spring since you havent had any problems. good work.

5. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

I heard several times 5000 for the recoil spring. I have 4581 out of my 19 and a new spring in my range bag just in case. I just want to see how long it lasts by golly.

6. rappa29

rappa29 JAFO

I quit counting rounds out of my G19 back in the late 90's. I bought the pistol in 1992.

Since then, I've only replaced the mag springs and put an OEM smooth trigger in last year strictly out of preference, not maintenance.

I should probably replace the recoil spring but it's not my EDC and it still performs flawlessly on 200rd range trips once a month.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  7. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

...the only thing I would replace would be ammo. Buy more ammo. She's just getting broken in.

8. jack76590

jack76590

If used for protection I would definitely replace the recoil spring. I had a G26 that functioned fine with ball and some JHP. However, other JHP got hung up on the ramp. A new recoil spring got it back to functioning with the previously "problem JHPs".

9. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

I would replace the target and keep shooting.

10. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Unless you are having problems do not replace anything. If ain't broke don't fix it!

11. MonsterB

MonsterB

thanks for the funny replies, I agree on replacing the amo and targets, Ive only had the gun since Dec10, so its getting used well. Glockparts.com has the whole spring kit for 30$ and it includes the recoil spring so I think I will order that, replace the recoil spring, and keep the extra parts till I need them. Thanks again guys.

12. ambluemax

ambluemax

Replacing the recoil spring is cheap insurance. Even if it still functions correctly, a weakened spring means more energy is transfered to the frame and other parts of the pistol which might lead to reduced service life. A recoil spring is so cheap...why not replace it.

13. protosniper

protosniper

I`ve heard there are different pound springs is this for the heavier grain bullets??? Stock spring is 11 pounds right ??? So what grain bullet suits this pound spring the best.....???

REMEMBER IM NEW... so be gental :rofl:

im in this for the fun of shooting so I gun show alot and pick up the best deal on 9mm ammo as I can get. Im not into shooting $30 boxes of ammo when I can get $11 or even $9 dollar ammo usually 115 grain is what I get are they any tricks of the trade in spring weight that might help me out putting them in the 10 right or possibly the head of a Ground Hog at say 30 yards LOL.... besides throw as much lead as possible hahaha...!!!

14. Big Wes

Big Wes

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

15. protosniper

protosniper

Ya know what !!! I`ve heard the Glock guy`s stand behind there Glocks but didn`t believe it until now.... this is gonna be fun.... Im not gonna replace anything with aftermarket parts im gonna leave them in the blister packs and putt-em in the safe and go with it..!!!

I can do this to... Im a Glock owner now and DAG-GONE-IT Damn the man on aftermarket parts :wavey: IM IN !!! STOCK IT IS !!! SHOOT IT SHOOT IT SHOOT IT !!!

16. dubels

dubels

How about just order a recoil spring and have it handy when it starts to malfunction? If it is not broken don't fix it, but it is always good to have spare parts on hand.

17. theNAST1EST

theNAST1EST

haha, agreed.

18. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

19. MonsterB

MonsterB

Major reason is this is my ccw gun and I dont want to "wait" till it malfunctions. Personally I think waiting till it malfunctions is bad advice unless it is strictly a range gun, and even then why wait? Anyways thanks for the replies.

20. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

:supergrin: