40 Year Anniversary Of The Damascus AR Titan Accident

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by willie_pete, Sep 18, 2020.

1. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

This is fascinating! I spent nearly a year-and-a-half guarding Nike Hercules missiles with a German Shepherd in 1970-71. Never heard of any accidents with our missiles, but I heard we were 'challenged' in important areas, like our IFC, where (it was said) they couldn't lock in on a Piper Cub circling directly overhead. I'm sure that's just an exaggeration.

Thanks for all the memories and knowledge that only comes from boots on the ground where it happened and when it happened.

willie_pete likes this.
  2. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 "Cynical Little me"

If I remember right we had three classes of ICBM's up and running at one time for a few years. Maybe Willie Pete can affirm. Titan-ll, Minutemanlll, and Peacekeeper. Counting the USN we also had two SLBM's active in our era, Poseidon and Trident. I don't know how many bada booms we had but I do know the Peacekeeper had 10 MIRVed 300 kt warheads, Titan-ll had 1 9MT warhead "impressed the commies cause you knew they were going right at Moscow". The Minutemanlll had 3 MIRVed warhead's in the 300kt+ class.

So, for any youngins here, add in the 30 or so SLBN's of the USN with Their MIRVed missiles, all those Land based MIRVed ICBMs, and God knows how many B-52's on hot pads on USAF bases throughout the Northern tier, each armed with two 9MT gravity bombs.

Well we ended up with about 10,000 strategic weapons on hot alert and all it took were the right codes to launch them. And the Russian's had about the same, and were not even talking all the Theater nukes and missiles. Hell we had thousands deployed in Asia and Europe.

And this is what the world looked like in our era. It's a wonder were still here. And we are in a far, far less dangerous position today.

IamtheNRA and snowbird.40 like this.

3. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Yep, all three for a short time. The last Titan came off alert in 1987; Peacekeeper came on alert in 1986.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  4. Tomcat1977

For a comparison both we and the Ruskie's deploy about 1750 strategic alert warheads now. The B-52's now carry cruise missiles only, the B2's I believe only B-61's. Bombers are not on alert status anymore. So while theres still plenty Left theres far less then when we were Airmen.

snowbird.40, Caver 60 and willie_pete like this.
  5. willie_pete

Awww, no more B-52 MITO's.

:(

Tomcat1977 and G19Tony like this.
  6. Tomcat1977

No more MooseHead, Minot, KI Sawyer, Grand Forks, Wurtsmith, ...ect. Freezing your babaoozles off in the middle of Jan. on a hot pad while the Jockey's sat in their alert housing shooting pool, playing cards, sleeping, and drinking hot coffee. Not that I ever had to hump one thank God but I took many a trip around a C5 all night long, which had a special security classification.

Flew in one once. From Incirlick to Dover against a big wind. The crew let me sit up front, Pilots loved the cops, it was/is an awesome airplane.

All alone with a black rifle in some Godforsaken country in the dark of night humping a C5 Galaxy.

God we had so much fun. I worked with the biggest ball busters know to man. I miss those days. A young mans best and thank you America for giving me the Honor of serving you then and beyond. The Military made me a Patriot for life.

Caver 60, willie_pete and BOOSTED12A like this.
  7. willie_pete

Just remember one thing.

chuck1.jpg

BOOSTED12A, Caver 60 and Sherlock913 like this.
  8. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

One Aw**** ! wipes out 10,000 Attaboys ... :upeyes:

Caver 60 and BOOSTED12A like this.
  9. willie_pete

I actually have a few " Attaboys " lying around somewhere. The Wing would award one if you did something above and beyond; hosting a tour group at your site, aceing a StanBoard check, etc. A blue certificate label " Attaboy ". I'll see if I can dig it up somewhere.

Luckily I never had any " Aw Craps "; though I knew plenty of people that did.

One Commander lost half of his crew out in the AR woods one day.

That didn't go over well at all.

Caver 60, BOOSTED12A and aircarver like this.
  10. Webologist

Webologist

I'm ex-Nike. That is true that you couldn't get a lock on an aircraft circling directly overhead, nor would you want to. That's why Herc batteries were paired with HAWK batteries. HAWK took care of the close-in targets.

The Herc is launched at an 87 degree angle, nearly straight up, to launch it into the outer atmosphere. It cannot maneuver until booster separation, when the lugs on the solid rocket booster, blocking movement of the fins, fall away and the liquid fuel rocket lights.

Absolutely true about not being able to get a lock that close. Not sure i would want the missile coming straight back to attack a target directly above IFC hill at 3100 MPH anyway.

BOOSTED12A and Caver 60 like this.