GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
28,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
40 Years ago today started the beginning of the Broken Arrow accident at Damascus AR involving the on-alert Titan II missile at site 4-7. I had pulled a few alerts at this site. The subject of the PBS film " Command and Control ".

One person was killed and 21 people were injured. I knew Dave and a lot of the people injured.The 9 MT warhead was blown out of the silo.

There is a 9 MT hydrogen bomb in this picture. See if you can find it.

damascus_1.jpg

damascus_10.jpg

RIP, Sgt. David Livingston.

·
NRA Life Member
28,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My sons scout troop camped in an old Titan II silo near this site this last weekend and watched "Command and Control." It was pretty cool!
Which one ? I only had heard about the 3-9 site being renovated; is there another one ?

·
NRA Life Member
231 Posts
Which one ? I only had heard about the 3-9 site being renovated; is there another one ?
It was 3-9. The owner told us over near Searcy there is another one that has just recently been excavated/opened but is not anywhere near ready for visitors/tours. The owner of 3-9 is making part of the crew quarters there into an "Air B&B" which will be available soon!

Another fun fact-the launch console, etc. on display at the Jacksonville Military Museum is the actual console from site 3-9!

·
NRA Life Member
28,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
NRA Life Member
28,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was 3-9. The owner told us over near Searcy there is another one that has just recently been excavated/opened but is not anywhere near ready for visitors/tours. The owner of 3-9 is making part of the crew quarters there into an "Air B&B" which will be available soon!

Another fun fact-the launch console, etc. on display at the Jacksonville Military Museum is the actual console from site 3-9!
3-9 was my home site until I upgraded to the ACP @ 3-8. I spent a lot of hours slaving over the console.

·
NRA Life Member
231 Posts
3-9 was my home site until I upgraded to the ACP @ 3-8. I spent a lot of hours slaving over the console.
WOW!!! Our scouts slept in Level 3-I slept in the decontamination room to get a 6000 pound door between me and the noise. Then I found out I was about where Livingston was when the Damascus explosion occurred....brought it home a little bit.

He also let us go out the escape tunnel-could not imagine Kennedy doing that in the dark!

·
NRA Life Member
28,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOW!!! Our scouts slept in Level 3-I slept in the decontamination room to get a 6000 pound door between me and the noise. Then I found out I was about where Livingston was when the Damascus explosion occurred....brought it home a little bit.

He also let us go out the escape tunnel-could not imagine Kennedy doing that in the dark!
:alex:

Oh Hell, I would not even do that in daylight.

" Things " lived in that escape tunnel.

·
NRA Life Member
28,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, that's it. That road was the entrance to the site. People had been walking past it all morning not knowing what it was. Finally one guy walked by and basically said,

" Wait, WHAT ? "

It had been stripped of the RV as it went through the 750 ton concrete/steel door. Turns out it never would have yielded since the electronics were cleaned off and the firing capacitors would have never charged.

RV
RV.jpg

W-53
w-53.jpg

w532.jpg

·
Kwisatz Haderach in Training
3,902 Posts
Willie, how long can a liquid rocket stay "ready" before having to go off alert for service?

And how about soviet rockets, if you know?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts