close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

40 vs 45GAP in mini glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by billcameron, Jun 8, 2004.

1. billcameron

billcameron

I am probably one of those people the 45 GAP is intended. I grew up on the 45 acp and like that caliber, but my trigger reach is too short (large glove size, but short fingers) for my glock 30. Also I like to conceal under a polo shirt and the mini glock for my body type is really at the top end of size. Presently my normal carry piece is a glock 27 in Kramer IWB holster. I accept the compromises of the 40 - use only factory ammo, only a couple of times up the ramp for individual round,etc. I also accept the somewhat sharp recoil and slow recovery time. If glock does and I expect they will chamber a 45 GAP in a mini frame I wonder what it will be like and how it will perform. I understand the slide may be wider, but this could be a good thing for handling recoil and for me at least the grip is what is important for concealment. Also how many round would the magazine hold? I suspect 6. Would the velocity be there for expansion in the short barrel? What would recoil and recovery time be like? Also would point of impact change with different loads? I have found 45 acp to be very good in this regard with all 230 gr bullets shooting to some point of impact. Even different bullet weights in 45 acp do not seem to change point of impact to degree that happens with other calibers. So talk to me about what a mini glock in 45 GAP would be like.

2. M96er

M96er

Anything we can offer you will be pure speculation as there is currently no GAP pistol smaller than full sized models. The G38 is the compact model and will be available next month or soon after. I'm not sure on the capacity, but it is most likely 8+1 or 9+1 with some squeezing.

CZ is making a mini .45gap called the RAMMI(about the size of a G36) and will be 6+1 or 7+1.

As for recoil, the G37 is very similar to the G21. It is very hard to tell the difference between the GAP and the .45acp. The GAP has a maxiumum case pressure of 23,000psi which is .45acp+P performance, but the current factory loads for the GAP are loaded at a conservative 21,000psi or so, which is standard power .45acp.

If you want to compare things such as recoil, muzzle velocity out of a certain barrel length, and bullet expansion look at shorter barreled .45acp. Both .45 calibers are not as dependent on velocity to do heavy damage as lighter 9mm or .40 loads due to their mass. The Winchester Ranger T probably has the best expansion at slower velocities than any other common bullet design right now and would probably be your best load for short barrels. I haven't been able to get Rangers in the GAP yet, but Winchester is producing them and they have identical performance to the .45acp loads.

3. Pred8tory

Pred8tory Retired Copper Lifetime Member

I'm not sure how "mini" a Glock can be that has the width of a Glock 21 slide. It may have a short barrel and butt, but it will be thick as a brick.

4. petej88

petej88 Millennium Member

Glock needs to invest in heavier metal. ;)

5. gK

gK Millennium Member

Petej88 has an excellent web site addressing the Gap 45.
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/petej/

Get a cup of coffee and curl up in front of your puter and spend an hour or so learning the pros and cons of this new carteidge.

I am a 9mm fan and have said many times that if I were going to get anything other than 9mm it would be the 45ACP. However that is unlikely to happen because the 45ACP plarforms are just to fat for my hands. With the exception of the 1911 which I just don't trust for reliability.

If I recall correctly, Pete said that the 21000-23000 # of preasure is recommended. Where the 45 GAP casing is able to handle over 30,000 #. It apparently has a hugh margen of safety. Much higher than even the 45ACP +P case.

I have held a G37 and it fits my hand like my G19 does. This is a cartridge worth getting excited about IMO.

BYW- Thanks Pete for the time and efforts you put into your web site. It is very professional and I look forward to updates, especially on reloading.

Kip

6. Cicero

Cicero

I was really excited about the .45 GAP until I shot one side by side with my g26, my g23, and an HK USP in .357 SIG. IMO, the GAP was by far the hardest to shoot. The .40 may have been a little "snappier" than the 9mm (actually they're almost equal with a 15lb ISMI recoil spring in the g23), but both the .40 and the .357SIG recoil straight up and down. Target reacquisition is very fast if you're used to shooting them. In contrast, the .45 GAP - which was slightly less snappy than the .40 or the .357SIG - also torqued severely up and to the left. Despite the larger grip size, I'd rather be shooting a g21, which is extremely controllable or my .40 or a .357. Best advice is to try one out before buying and make sure you have your g27 there for side by side comparisons.

7. petej88

petej88 Millennium Member

I was really excited about the .45 GAP until I shot one side by side with my g26, my g23, and an HK USP in .357 SIG.

This is most likely due to the ammo more than the pistol. Folks who have shot equivalent ammo side by side between the GAP and ACP claim the GAP is equal or even a little softer in recoil, and is quite accurate with little muzzle flip. To each their own, I guess. I'm glad you feel good with the 9 and 357 Sig, which are both excellent calibers.

8. Cicero

Cicero

Possibly. I usually stick with 230 grains in .45 ACP and was shooting S&B 180 gr GAPs. I was honestly surprised because I've never had a gun torque that much on me in recoil.

9. Glock2336

Glock2336 Senor Member

S&B(Sellier & Bellot?) makes .45 GAP? You sure you weren't shooting a .40 S&W?