close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

.40 vs .45 - New Glock?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Newglock2012, Apr 14, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Newglock2012

Newglock2012

Hi I will be purchasing a new Glock shortly. I have a Sig 9mm so I was am getting a 40 or 45 but having trouble deciding. I read some about the 40 whip. Any thoughts?

Also I have been researching the 21 .45. Is this available in gen 4? I see some in the Internet but its not on the glock website?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

2. WarEagle 1

WarEagle 1 Taco Tuesday

.40 whip, do you mean recoil? If so it's not as bad as what some portray it to be. Gen4 G21's are available you'll find many threads on here with people that love them.

3. sr556m9

sr556m9

Get the .45. The G21 is one sweet pistol!

4. G21MAN

G21MAN

I don't shoot through car doors, but I'd like to think that I could if I needed to. I have heard of .45 rounds bouncing off of car doors. Get the Gen 4 G23. Easily concealed under a shirt, and more capacity. You can't conceal a 21 very easily. The 30 only sports ten rounds. The 23 has 14.:tongueout:

5. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

I own a glock 22 (that's a .40) and it was my first pistol. I think its a really soft shooter. I shot a Taurus 24/7 in .40 the same day and it had a lot more pep than the Glock. Glocks are nice.

Soon as my GSSF is processed I am going to a .45. Hardest decision will be which to get. :supergrin:

6. vwfool

vwfool

I second the, "Get the .45" comment. I bought a G27 and a G30 this year. Both are very fine guns; however, the G27 (40 S&W) has already been traded. The G30 (.45 ACP) is in my front right pocket right now with a 13 round G21 mag in my left pocket.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  7. Bring_it!

Bring_it!

The .45 has my vote.
    Carryin the g21 today, but it's a baggy shirt saturday.

8. larson1122

larson1122

Get the Gen 4 G21, you will love it!

9. Opie 1 Kenopie

Opie 1 Kenopie Regular Guy

New Guy, you can't go wrong with either. But don't fall into the trap of believing clowns on forums who think the .40 recoil is harsh. It just isn't for most of us. Try one for yourself and make your own call. It would be odd that .40 Glocks are carried by more US LE agencies than any other and somehow has this uncontrollable snap. Not true.

That being said, the .45 Glocks are known for their soft push recoil. Very controllable, unbelievably accurate and you'd be hard pressed to find a better general SD caliber. They just make big holes. Nuff said. It's going to come down to what YOU can carry best under your method of dress. Don't decide on an Internet forum. Go feel them, rent them, shoot them both and then decide.

10. oldman11

oldman11

Go with the .45, it's a bigger caliber and a heavier round. If you're worried about, or need to go through car doors then 10mm is the weapon.

11. 20SFLV

20SFLV

You can always get a G21 and a .40 S&W conversion barrel so you can shoot both calibers. If you are used to 9mm, you will certainly notice more recoil with the .40 S&W and .45 rounds. Best thing to do is go to the range, and rent each type of gun you are interested in to see if it is a good gun for you.

12. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

The Glock 21 45ACP has been available in Gen4 since May 25, 2011 in the U.S. The company web site is not known for being the most up-to-date source of information.

Do yourself a favor and find a shop or gun show where you can hold the Gen4 G21 and a range where you can rent one to shoot if possible.

I've fired several hundred rounds from each of the Gen3 G21SF and the Gen4 G21. The Gen4 G21 is the finest 45ACP pistol that Glock has ever made IMHO (at least until the Gen4 G30 is released :)). The Gen4 grip texture, larger mag release that's easy to reach, and especially the new dual recoil spring made the already great G21 even better. It is very controllable in rapid fire drills. If you are sensitive to recoil, I think you will be surprised by how comfortable the Gen4 G21 is to shoot.

You might like reading a good review with video of the recently released Dark Earth Gen4 G21 by Jeff Quinn at Gunblast.com if you haven't seen it already:

http://gunblast.com/Glock-21DE.htm

Take note that in the Ransom rest test, Quinn recorded a 1-3/8" 5-shot group at 25 yards with the stock Gen4 G21. It's quite impressive.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  13. Uncle Trigger

Uncle Trigger

I want to add my vote for the .40 S&W. The recoil impulse is a little sharper, but is certainly no big deal. In fact to me there is the benefit of slightly less muzzle rise, so my follow up shots are a little quicker. And although the G21 grip on the SF and Gen4 is much better, to me it isn't nearly as nice as the smaller frame .40. My G35 is about my favorite pistol.

One other thing in the .40's favor is ammo. It is hard to argue that the .45 will do anything the .40 will not, there is great self-defense ammo available, and .40 ammo always seems to be available! During every ammo shortage we go through, especially during election time, 9mm and .45 is constantly sold out but .40 is usually on the shelf. Checking Walmart the last couple of months, the value packs of .40 was about all you could get. And it is cheaper than .45 to shoot.

14. B1911

B1911

I was in the same place some years ago. I had two Sigs in 9mm and was looking to add a Glock in a different caliber. I went with the .40S&W, there were so many good reasons to like that round. However I started to hate shooting it due to the sharp recoil. A friend at the range had a G21 and after swapping for awhile I changed my mind. Sold the G 22 for a .45 G21 and never looked back. The .45 recoil is a comfortable soft push that allows me to stay on target easier with faster follow up. It's a very personal thing though so you definitely should borrow/rent both first.

15. spartanranger

spartanranger

The recoil on the .40 USED to be sharper. With the gen4 recoil spring, all the harshness has been taking out. It shoots like a high powered 9mm.

16. ZO6Vettever

ZO6Vettever

To me, the recoil of my G30 is not hard at all. Kind of "pushes" but the 40's I have fired kind of "twist". I like the 45 but to each their own. If I were to lean towards a 40 the G27 would be the one for me. I did find out what "Glock knuckle" was all about after the first range trip with the G30, my first Glock. A little dremil and keeping my giant arthritic knuckle back a bit took care of that. Very accurate and easy to shoot.

17. venenoindy

venenoindy

The gen4 setup handles the .40 very well, I have both G21 and G23 and if I had to pick one for all around use would be the G23 gen4 loaded with 180gr HST's.

18. barth

barth six barrels

Recoil and grip size are subjective.
    I would run down to the local range and rent a 40 and a 45.
    You will answer your own question.

A 40 can easily convert to 9mm, or 357, with a simple barrel and mag change.
    You could potentially share ammo with your 9mm Sig.

Good luck and welcome to the world of Glocks

19. truetopath

truetopath

+1 for this

20. Slug71

Slug71