Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pricing components for reloading the 40 S&W and I believe its cheaper buying 500/1000 rds.

I did buy the Herter (Russian) bulk ammo from Cabelas and have experienced frequent jams (failure to feed from magazine into barrel). I'm using a Glock 23 and have no trouble with any of the other ammo I've tried mainly 165 gr. PMC & Remington UMC.

Shipping kills ya!

·
EX-Swage Monkey
1,615 Posts
????????

·
2,950 Posts
If you're satisfied with the [poor] quality of the ammo that you're able to buy at a price equivalent to what reloading would cost, then have at it. Personally, if I had one or two jams out of factory ammo, it would be enough to sell me on reloading. And it has. This is ESPECIALLY true if it came to a situation where my life might depend on dependable ammunition.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Pricing components for reloading the 40 S&W and I believe its cheaper buying 500/1000 rds.
Ok, let's do some math here.

Powder, 1# loads at least 1400 rounds.

Primers, 1000 for ~$35.

Bullets, well that depends on where you buy and what type. I cast my own, so they're really cheap.

Brass, free from the range.

Basic reloading setup including manual, scale etc...$150.

How much is a thousand rounds of factory 40 these days?:whistling:

·
Registered
35,911 Posts

I did buy the Herter (Russian) bulk ammo from Cabelas and have experienced frequent jams (failure to feed from magazine into barrel). I'm using a Glock 23 and have no trouble with any of the other ammo I've tried mainly 165 gr. PMC & Remington UMC.

Shipping kills ya!
Well then you are not doing the math correctly.
#1, you do not buy new brass, most save their factory or buy once fired, & even if you do, you amortize the brass over at least 10x reloaded, bring brass cost nearly zero. This is where most newbs miss the math quiz.
Powder, primers & bullets in some bulk; that would be 5K primers, 4# of powder & 1K bullets min. Do that & you are loading better ammo than the cheap crap for 1/2 the cost.:dunno: I can load 40s for little more than the cost of 9mm, about $110/1000? I doubt you touch that in any ammo you can buy & oh yes, mine work everytime & accuracy is easily twice as good as Tula, Wolf, etc.

·
local trouble maker
9,125 Posts
I make my own for 13 cents a round using top of the line components.
SO

• $6.50 per 50
  • $13.00 per hundred
  • $65 per 500 hundred
  • $130 per thousand

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Do you have to buy in serious bulk to get that price? 135 gr Berry's are roughly 11 cents a piece if you only get 250. 3ish cents per primer and maybe 1.5 cents for powder is 16 cents a round. That's $8 a box. Still not bad, but $6.50 is even better.

·
Registered
35,911 Posts
Do you have to buy in serious bulk to get that price? 135 gr Berry's are roughly 11 cents a piece if you only get 250. 3ish cents per primer and maybe 1.5 cents for powder is 16 cents a round. That's $8 a box. Still not bad, but $6.50 is even better.
You get best pricesbuying in bulk. Most bullet breaks come @ 1000. PD gives you free shipping @ 2000, MG best price & free shipping buying a case, about 3300. Same for powder & primers. best price on pwoder comes in an 8# jug, primers come in 5K sleeves/cartons.:dunno:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
You get best pricesbuying in bulk. Most bullet breaks come @ 1000. PD gives you free shipping @ 2000, MG best price & free shipping buying a case, about 3300. Same for powder & primers. best price on pwoder comes in an 8# jug, primers come in 5K sleeves/cartons.:dunno:

Excuse my ignorance what is MG and PD? I am looking for 1k of 180gr 40 as cheap as possible and just seen this thread. Thanks.

·
local trouble maker
9,125 Posts
You start getting good price breaks on bullets at 1K. Better at 2K then 6K.
It keeps getting better up to around 50K.

I would never buy primers in less than 1K. By ordering in 5K or more you get about $10 a K price drop.

I try to but my powder in 8 pound jugs. 1 pound to toy around with first and then the big buy when I know I will use it.

·
Registered
35,911 Posts
You start getting good price breaks on bullets at 1K. Better at 2K then 6K.
It keeps getting better up to around 50K.

I would never buy primers in less than 1K. By ordering in 5K or more you get about $10 a K price drop.

I try to but my powder in 8 pound jugs. 1 pound to toy around with first and then the big buy when I know I will use it.
Not to mention spreading out shipping & HM fees. 10K primers is a min IMO for best deal, that only adds $2.5/K HM fee. Throw a 4# or 8# jug of powder inan online order & spreaed that shipping & HM even further.

·
Premium Member
2,405 Posts
fredj338 is right.

If you get free shipping on your bullets and buy your powder and primer locally to avoid the hazmat charges.

You just have to spread the cost of the reloading equipment over a few years.

You can load your own ammo cheaper than factory and get better accuracy to boot!

I'm the cheapest dude around here and the math and the targets say do it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Rubbish... Unless you're not reusing the brass, reloading is cheaper... Full stop...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts