.40 S&W Proves Value Again

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by 1smoothredneck, Mar 26, 2020.

1. NU9MM

NU9MM

I’m trying to find a M&P 2.0 .40 compact now.

TGT and DonGlock26 like this.
  2. CaliDBA

CaliDBA

Any tips on shooting a Glock 23 (if I'm in the wrong forum, let me know; I recently joined :)) - I've only gone to the range twice, 40 rounds each trip, as I just got it, and I've been struggling a bit with accuracy; I'm decent with the Glock 19, and my 10/22, and not too bad with the Predator (but I can brace that against my shoulder)

I think I'm flinching from the larger recoil (?); I recently put a Hogue grip and an Extended Magazine Release on both the 23 and the 19 - I figure I just need to shoot it a lot to become more comfortable with it

Thanks so much!

motorcycleman likes this.

3. GlockAndMan

GlockAndMan

I have shield 2.0 .40, but I changed the barrel to have .357 sig. I also have G33, and now I only have to buy .357 sig, which is always available online either from Target, or Underwood sites.

TGT likes this.
  4. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

Cali - I don't know about a tip specific for a G23, but even though I've been shooting pistols for about 50 years, I got a tip last year from a former Law Enforcement Officer (LEO) who was a firearms instructor at his agency as well as an instructor in the US Marine Corps.

His advice: Make certain just the pad of your trigger finger is used to 'press' the trigger, not 'pull' it. It's a bit of a challenge to understand the difference and how to apply it, but once you do, it might help. Also, try not to anticipate the recoil; just stay with the sights and be surprised by the shot. More than likely you'll become a more accurate pistol shooter.

I think everyone has a tendency to pull down on the gun, anticipating the recoil and recovery for a follow-up shot. I still do it more often than I care to admit, mainly (I think) because I shoot a lot of IDPA and BUG matches and I want to get back on the Center Of Mass (COM) of the cardboard as quickly as possible.

Hope that helps.

5. CaliDBA

CaliDBA

Thanks, snowbird.40 - I will definitely try that sometime in May when I hope the ranges will be open - much appreciated! :flag:

snowbird.40 likes this.
  6. 45caldan

45caldan

Looking at .40s on GB.
    First time in over 25 years I’m considering picking up a police trade in .40.
    Not so much for ammo availability but for the low prices on these guns!
    Later I can get a 9mm bbl and be in under the price of just buying it as a 9mm.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  7. H&K .45 AUTO

H&K .45 AUTO Gunslinger

I have always liked .40 S&W. It offers a lot of power and a bigger bullet than a 9mm. Unfortunately, my employer saw fit to issue us all Glock 17's so 9mm became the prescribed pill for me at work. Shortly after, I discovered the P365, so even off duty I am down to a 9mm. Oh well.

As for availability, my last trip to Academy revealed that if you didn't already have ammo, you weren't likely to get any. They had no 9mm, no .40, no .38 Special, no .357 Mag, no 10mm, no .357 SIG, no .223/5.56, no .308, and no 7.62x39. They did have a few boxes of .380 and .45 ACP available. Fortunately, I had only gone there to get some 6.5 Creedmoor for my latest rifle and they had plenty of it to go around. I bought enough Hornady Black and Hornady Match to last me a while and there was still plenty on the shelf.

8. Current Resident

Current Resident

I know it isnt popular but I have always liked .40sw. I carry it in my rotation, reload a lot of it and shoot most of it through my Sub 2000.

On page one someone said, cant figure why it was always a bastard round?
    I always shoot it well and love the options for reloads.

motorcycleman, treg, TGT and 2 others like this.
  9. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

My stocked ammo is in 357 Sig but I have .40 conversion barrels for the same purpose as you. Also I noted in the 2012 shortage .45 ammo lasted longer on the shelves than all other handgun calibers with .40 coming in second. Ammo in all handgun calibers can still be bought on line with a short search.

10. Tacoma12

Tacoma12

My first ever firearm purchase was a .40, a Gen 3 Glock 22. I still love the .40 and the low price of police trade-in guns of that caliber has only increased my collection.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    TGT and snowbird.40 like this.
  11. Pandaz3

Pandaz3

I bought two, a 4" and a 3.6" for $299 each. Real nice.

Teecher45, TGT and snowbird.40 like this.
  12. Call Me Trinity

Call Me Trinity

Sportsmans Warehouse has untouchable deals from time to time. I'm bummed that they're 40 miles from me and Bass Pro is 40 miles in the opposite direction, lol.

motorcycleman and snowbird.40 like this.
  13. Call Me Trinity

Call Me Trinity

I have the same. I was looking for a used G19, when I found a guy selling a Gen 3 G23 , police trade in with a 9mm conversion barrel and trigger housing. Very pleased.

Teecher45 and snowbird.40 like this.
  14. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

Saw that about two weeks ago at the regional Cabelas. 10mm was still on the shelves. Not a lot, but it was there.

9mm .40, and most of the 45 ammo was gone.

Ideally, all of this can be avoided BEFORE the next round of panic-buying depletes store shelves by (1) getting stocked up on ammo for every firearm you own, and (2) getting set up to reload for those calibers you shoot the most or which carry the priciest retail tag.

At least in handguns, for me that's the 10mm and .41 Magnum, so a lot of reloading time is dedicated to those two.

I'm stocked on .45 ammo as well, and reload for it too as time permits.

15. Pandaz3

Pandaz3

For the longest time the only 40 I had was the one in my Avatar, yes that is a Charter Arms Pitbull in 40 S&W. Then I bought two Walther PPX's one in Nine and one in Forty. The Forty was/is clearly more accurate for me and my wife. So I decided I liked 40, but continued down the 45 road then my damaged wrist and hand started acting up so I bought a XD40 and then other 40's and soon they were coming out of my ears.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  16. Caver 60

Caver 60

I only own one 40. It's not exactly my favorite.

I much prefer 45, if I'm going big bore. I have several 45 ACP's.

But I have a couple thousand rounds of 40 ammo stocked back, just in case.

17. Mongo444

Mongo444

I love the Smithy .40. Many don't. It's not too expensive - glad I'm not trying to stockpile .380! Fun round to shoot, that .40 is. 9mm, even more fun due to economics, but the popular ammo goes bye-bye first. That's why you buy a little at a time over the years. Then, in a poopshow like we're in once again, you look at your shelf (or wherever you keep your ammo) and suddenly exclaim, "Honey, what kind o' pie was that we had last night??"

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  18. Gray_Rider

Gray_Rider

And that ladies and gentlemen is how I got a really good buy back in 2006 when the 9 mm was falling out of favor.

Picked up an immaculate barely used Glock 26 (gold grease still visible as if never fired) with four Glock magazines and and 2-3 Pierce extenders for $450. tax included.

Same now with the .40. Great time to get a great buy.

Gray_Rider
    Old Secessh

19. Pandaz3

Pandaz3

My wife just did a casual but pointed inventory of ammo. 'What kind is in this box, what kind is in here, what kind do our AR's take. Can we shoot someone with green tip AR ammo?
    So a little label reading instruction and she's happy. We have plenty of everything according to her
    What is this 30 M1 carbine ammo? Do we have guns for that? Yes dear a revolver and a rifle. You are hiding guns again. No we have had the rifle five or six years.
    On and on but she counted the 40 carefully.

20. Mongo444

Mongo444

Does she have a sister who's single? I won't have to account for any hidden items as they'll already be there when we get married!

Gray_Rider, snowbird.40 and Pandaz3 like this.