.40 S&W crimped is out there.

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by freakshow10mm, Apr 5, 2012.

Tags:
  1. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

Just a friendly heads up. US Coast Guard uses .40 S&W ammunition, specifically MK 309 MOD 0 155gr ball and MK 308 MOD 0 155gr JHP. Both loads have crimped primers, believe it or not the USCG is part of the Department of the Navy, ie military. Even though they have power of arrest, LE function, they are still part of the military, thus getting crimped primers.

We've got a USCG base here locally and have been seeing the .40 S&W crimped brass on the range they shoot at. Contract has been awarded to Federal Cartridge.

Keep your eyes open when sorting brass and be on the lookout for crimped .40 S&W brass now. Should be only Federal headstamps.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  2. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Are the primers and bullet sealed with that red sealant? I thought I read somewhere that the USCG was doing that.

Richard

3. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

At one point in time, the US Coast Guard was under the Dept. of Transportation.
    When did they become part of the Department of the Navy??
    Sept. 11th was the reason, I believe. Still, I thought they were part of the Homeland Security Administration.

Learn something new, every day. . . .

4. ColoCG

ColoCG

Thank's for the information Freak.:thumbsup:

5. freakshow10mm

Yes. It's waterproof sealant. I saw the red ring around the primer but not the mouth. Might be sealed there internally like the 5.56 ammunition.

The USCG was a DOT force in peace time, but when the country is at war, they answer to the Secretary of the Navy. Currently, they are under jurisdiction of DHS since 2003, but in war time they answer to the Secretary of the Navy. Even in peace time, USCG members are military personnel and are subject to the UCMJ.

The USCG official seal used to be something like the USMC seal, with the branch under the emblem and "Department of the Navy" above it. This is the USMC seal, but I can't find the older USCG seal that was similar to this.
    [​IMG]

As much as I hate Wikipedia as a source, it explains the structure better than I can in one post. Look under "Authority as an Armed Service".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Coast_Guard

6. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

^^^ Thanks!!!! ^^^

7. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Ask any Coast Guardsman who crewed patrol boats and cutters intercepting sampans and supply barges on the coast and inland waters of Vietnam and they'll tell ya they were part of the military long before the official designation.

The also flew Air Force helicopters on SAR missions for downed flyers with at least one pilot being killed after his chopper was shot down by small arms fire.

On a side note, I would imagine that if they specify crimped primers they would naturally specify both primer and bullet sealant. Why wouldn't they... combat conditions are combat conditions no matter what uniform you're wearing.

Jack

8. freakshow10mm

Here's the ammo spec details. If you look at the pics of the ammo, it doesn't have the red stripe around the primer. The brass I saw did. As a side note, look at the bare gelatin penetration test results. Only 10.3 inches? Not sure about that.

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2011smallarms/WednesdayAmmo12407Ream.pdf

Jack, from what I know, the Coast Guard was military as of 1915. It started out as Dept of Treasury, then DOT, then DHS. It served as the only naval force before 1798 when the US navy was officially created.

9. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

...and the USCG coxswains operated the Higgins boats during Normandy and other landings. Because of their maritime LE power, Coasties are frequently assigned to Navy vessels operating near US waters. (think drug and migrant interdiction)

Kitty
    US Navy Vet
    US Coast Guard Aux Coxswain :wavey:

10. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Good on you. Although service is certainly not mandatory nor a denigration of one's patriotism those who have never worn the uniform can not understand the swelling of pride when you snap a crisp one as the colors pass in review.

Of course they didn't have to eat ham and lima beans C-rations so that might be a trade-off. :supergrin:

Jack

11. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

They should switch to large primers.

12. SARDG

Well... MREs for me... and I think they're pretty tasty. :shocked:

I still RO for the Air Station Clearwater snipers and am off soon to the range for one of their night shoots.

13. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

That's cause you're a young'un.

Unclebob ate dinosaur meat, raw... they hadn't discovered fire yet.

When the hell is the old coot coming back, I need someone to pick on... Little Stevie and Zombie are too easy, no challenge what so ever.

Jack

14. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

I notice you give me a wide birth lately...

15. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

I just bought a Dillon 600 swager so I think I can manage. Or I will do like I do with 9mm and just throw them away.

16. squirreld

squirreld

Why the 155 gr?
    Most LEO's run 180's.

17. freakshow10mm

Not sure. I prefer 165gr in the .40 S&W, though the 155gr XTP was my carry handload when I had one.

I know DHS has a lightweight as their duty load. I'd have to do some digging in that area to find ballistic evaluations for that contract to find out why it was chosen.

18. SARDG

Straight from a Coasties' Sig earlier this evening:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the kidz was a reloader but unaware of their .40 cal being crimped. He said their 7.62 was crimped but the primer pops right out and doesn’t need swaging. Don't know... just repeating what I was told. Regardless, I came home with their brass. Never reloaded a single round of rifle in my life, but unlike my early handgun brass, I am acquiring rifle brass as it presents itself.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  19. freakshow10mm

Interesting that the Crane document I posted was dated 2011, but the brass in the pic shows the year 09.

For those that don't know, Federal Cartridge Company stamps civilian ammunition as "FEDERAL" and the military ammunition made at Lake City is stamped "FC and the year the brass was drawn".

The brass in the pic was drawn before the document, yet I've seen crimped FC 11 brass with a red primer sealant locally.

20. SARDG

I think that may be '08. The 7.62 brass I got tonight says '08 and has the red sealant.

ETA: That entire .40 cal cartridge looked like it had been in the gun since around '08. Wonder how many times it was rechambered because they're always clearing their guns.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012