close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

.40 s&w ammo

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by MIKEV311, Mar 14, 2010.

Tags:
  1. MIKEV311

MIKEV311

I have a 2nd gen Glock 22 and i carry it as a side arm when hiking /hunting and i was wondering what would be a good carry ammo for the four legged predators. you never know what you will run into in the outdoors and i have been carrying just some wwb fmj but i was hoping someone had a better option known for good penetration any help is appreciated

2. NAS T MAG

NAS T MAG

You have a gun that has the most ammo available. Do you .40 owners know something we don't?:wavey:

3. N/Apower

N/Apower

Both the XTP and the Gold Dot are known for good penetration. I would go with the Gold Dot.

4. mteagle1

mteagle1

A 44 Mag with 265 gr bullets.

5. BrianNH

BrianNH

I think he was asking about .40 loads, not suggestions for a new pistol

6. Eagle22

Eagle22

I carry 180g HSTs in my 22 and 27

also just received a case of 180g Speer Gold Dots

7. MIKEV311

MIKEV311

Thanks for all the replies yes i know that the .40s&w isn't the best side arm for the woods but its what i have and i believe it is better than nothing.It seems that gold dots are the favorite pick in your guys experience do you believe that a hollow point is better than a fmj for penetration? I was thinking that animals may have a little thicker skin/muscle than us. If i do go with the gold dots should i go with the heavier grn.?

8. Ak.Hiker

Ak.Hiker

I have tested quite a few loads for penetration over the years. The 40 S&W when loaded with FMJ loads is really pretty good. A Glock 22 loaded with 15 rounds of 180 grain FMJ loads is a pretty good woods walking gun. If they are reliable in your gun one of the very best loads on the market is the Double Tap 200 grain hard cast. You may want to give them a try. They also load a 200 grain FMJ that is loaded pretty hot. One of my favorite loads in my Glock 22 is the Speer Lawman 180 grain. It seems to be loaded a little hotter than most other brands. The UMC 180 grain MC load is another good one for penetration. The Remington MC bullet has a very thick tough jacket. The lighter bullet loads in FMJ also offer good penetration. The Speer 155 grain Lawman is loaded pretty hot too. Something like 1200 FPS out of a full sized Glock. I know that we do have some very good JHP loads for the 40 on the market. One option is to load 2 to 3 JHP loads up first and than go with the FMJ in the rest of the magazine. I do this with my 10mm Glock. The first 2 are Hornady 180 grain XTP's followed by 8 hot 200 grain FMJ's like the DT,CB, or BB. I have been in the position of not having a 44 Magnum and carrying what I had on hand. I purchased my first 44 Magnum right after I got to listen to a brown bear kill and eat a moose in a field that I was sitting in after a long hike. I worked up some 320 grain hard cast loads for the 44 Magnum. But again if I only owned a Glock 22 I would still go hiking. Bears have never been my first concern anyway.

9. novaDAK

novaDAK

If penetration is what you're after, use a FMJ.

10. Eagle22

Eagle22

.40 is very good to carry in the woods. use FMJs have far better penetration then JHPs.

FMJs just may go THOUGH the intended target and may not stop the aggressor as quickly.

Shoot until the threat stops advancing.

Put in the Gold Dots for normal carry.

ps have seen multiple .40 & .45 JHPs bounce of a 200 lb boars skull. but multiple .22 and 9mm FMJs penetrate and kill the boar. Of course a single .40 or .45 FMJ just stopped a big boar cold.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  11. BurkGlocker

BurkGlocker Texas Redneck

For a bullet that expands and still drives deep, the 180 gr XTP is the way to go.

12. AJSully421

AJSully421 Armed Citizen

I would agree with Burk. If you want both great penetration and some expansion, go with XTP. The FMJ that you have now are fine if you have to penetrate thick stuff like a hog's skull or whatever. I think it will depend on where you are and what might try to grab you.

I carry a G21sf loaded with 230 HST at the ranch, but the scariest thing I will have to shoot is a pissed off coon or a wounded hog.

13. SouthernBoyVA

SouthernBoyVA

If I were hiking in the Blue Ridge Mountains, which are not far from where I live, I would carry my Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum with some handloads I made up years ago. As a backup, I'd carry either my Ruger Security Six .357 or my everyday carry G23. The G23 would be my goto gun for two-legged predators and my .44 is what I would pull for the large cats (cougars, black panthers) or black bears.

14. Brucev

Brucev

"I have a 2nd gen Glock 22 and i carry it as a side arm when hiking /hunting and i was wondering what would be a good carry ammo for the four legged predators. you never know what you will run into in the outdoors and i have been carrying just some wwb fmj but i was hoping someone had a better option known for good penetration any help is appreciated."

G-22... Excellent Pistol!!! That is my very considered opinion based on my own experience with my own G-22RTF. With regard to use against four-legged predators, load your G-22 up with 180 gr. FMJ. Punch your rounds into the head and chest till your target is just a bloody sieve. Go for penetration because your rounds are going to need to get through bone (skull) and muscle to hit vital organs.

15. FatBoy

FatBoy Millennium Member

A friend of mine at worked just asked me the same question. I told him a .44mag would be my choice. But, if he insisted on carrying a .40, then a bonded JHP for small and mid sized 4 legged issues would work. If he ran up against a large animal, then just shoot your hiking buddy in the leg and run like hell. You know the old saying, I don't have to out run the bear; just out run you. [;)]

FB