40 S&W 180gr Golden Sabres

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by G20MONEY, Feb 14, 2010.

1. G20MONEY

G20MONEY

Please don't flame me for this, I am simply looking for opinions, and stating my own on this ammo. Typically, I use Remington UMC 180gr jhp for the range. I've had great results with this ammo! I don't claim to be an expert shot by ant means, but I have no problems putting a full mag in a four inch bull at 20 feet. Anyways, yesterday I decided to give some GS's a try, picked up 50 rds and headed to the range. needless to say I was not impressed. They were all over the Place! About an eight inch pattern at best. Shot some of my UMC's and they were right there as usual? Did I just get a bad lot? I've read good things about the GS's Please let me know your results and opinions?

2. fastbolt

fastbolt

No way to know what was happening in your situation.

Personally, my experience with Golden Sabre ammunition (duty load in 3 calibers in the last 2-3 years) makes me rate it about 3rd place when it comes to my personal preferences (overall QC, erratic flash signature characteristics, fouling, etc).

I can often keep slow-fire carefully aimed groups within virtually the same ragged hole (approx 1" or less) at a similar distance of 21 feet using the standard .40 180gr GS loads, and that's when using some different .40 pistols.

As I mentioned, it isn't really my first (or even my second) choice for carry ammunition, but I've had no concerns carrying it when it was provided for free. ;)

Sent you a PM.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010

3. sigcalcatrant

sigcalcatrant

I have two SIG P226ST's with sequential serial numbers. One shoots WWB into 25 yard groups like the bullets are laser guided. The other doesn't shoot them into groups, it shoots them into a shotgun-like pattern. They both shoot W-W Ranger 9mm Luger 115 grain +P+ about the same, about three inch groups at fifteen yards from a rest. The point being that even seemingly identical guns handle identical rounds differently.

4. Scott30

Scott30

A perfect example of the old saying "find the ammo your gun likes and stick with it". Each gun will shoot slightly different with the same ammo due to manufacturing differences. Keep testing until you find the ammo that makes you happy then buy a bunch of it. Try to keep the lot numbers the same to get even more consistency.

5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Frankly if you're comfortable with the UMC JHP.. just stick with that. Placement matters far more than how cool the box is. Personally, I've always thought UMC ammo had an atrocious smell.

IGF

6. JBP55

JBP55

The GS ammo. should be shooting 1" or less at 21'.

7. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 JABRONI

I do have some 180gr Golden Sabres, but I actually prefer, in some ways, the Remington UMC 180gr JHP as it's very accurate and expands very well.

8. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

The Golden Sabers were always one of the most accurate loads out of my Glock 22. They did seem a little on the dirty side though. I never had a chance to test them for expansion. For me, they always were a stand by load. I have had better success with the Gold Dot ammunition, though that's not to say that the Gold Dots are the only good ammo out there.