close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

.40 S&W 180 gr PDX1 out of G27 test...

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by BurkGlocker, Mar 24, 2010.

Tags:
  1. BurkGlocker

BurkGlocker Texas Redneck

I had someone ask me to do a test with the PDX1 round out of a shorter barreled pistol. Well guys, here it is..

Weapon: Glock Model 27
    Ammunition used: Winchester Elite Bonded PDX1 40 S&W 180 grain
    Tests performed: 4 and 6 layer denim, 1/2" plywood and steel.

I jsut want to start by saying that all bullets penetrated the 12" block of gelatin. I use only a 12" block for the reasoning that if it completely penetrates 12" of gelatin, then it will penetrate deep enough to possibly disrupt any vitals. Bu I also have to say that the PDX1 bullet is by far one of the deepest penetrating bullets I have ever used.

Here is my setup for the denim tests. I used two jugs with water as a catch and nothing else. The bullet penetrated all of the gelatin and bounced off of the back of jug number two.

[​IMG]

Here is the plywood test. I just used a piece of leftover backing from one of the target frames, so please forgive the sight of it, but it served its purpose one last time... I did away with the jugs and used my now wet denim as a catch. Wet denim is great for catching rounds, I found out.

[​IMG]

Please forgive the pictures, I didnt realize that my camera doesnt like to take close-up pictures at all. I tried to resize them to make them more detailed. The two on left are the PDX1 rounds, the top left one being 6 layer and the one below it is the 4 layer denim test. I threw a couple of 165 gr T-Series into the mix for comparison, both are 4 layer denim test. On the right, the top is through steel, and as expected, no real expansion, it only flattened out the nose of it. The two below that are from the plywood test. Both bullets clogged with material and exhibited no expansion at all. I am still pretty impressed with the denim tests though. I wasnt expecting them to expand at all out of the short barrel of the G27. The six layer bullet expanded to an average of .740". The 4 layer bullet only .700", but I attribute that to it moving faster through the test medium and folding the petals farther back. The Ranger T-series, if your curious about them, both expanded to an average of the smallest and largest measurement, right at .950"

[​IMG]

I also tested for accuracy, and mind you, I didnt have a rest of any sort, so the grouping isnt exactly great, but I will tell you though, the bullets landed where the sights were aiming at the time the trigger was squeezed. The target says '.45 ACP @ 25 yards' but I assure you that the holes are from the .40 cal. The targets were left there on the board by my LEO buddy on Monday, and he didnt shoot at them, and I was still surprised that they were still there today, especially with no holes in them. And again, I was shooting a small-assed pistol off-hand, so please, no remarks about my crap grouping. LOL I only had five rounds left so here they are, and at least they're on paper... :tongueout: If it was a person, they definately would be in a world of hurt.

[​IMG]

Well, ladies and gents, as usual I enjoyed providing what I hope to be good information for you all. Its always a pleasure to do the shooting and testing, and I hope you enjoyed the read.

Thanks!

BG

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  2. BurkGlocker

I think that my next test will be with the 180 grain Federal HST's out of the G27. I didnt really 'put it through the ringer' during my first tests with the G27 and the different ammos I tested. Any objections?

BG

3. BurkGlocker

Hmmm, no one? Getting bored with the testing? LOL
    BG

4. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

It appears the PDX will be right up there with HST and Gold Dots in performance but it appears you cannot get them in anything other than 20 round boxes since they are marketed at the non-LE crowd. Best price I've seen is around 90 cents per round. Cheaper than the 20 round boxes of Gold Dots though (never buy those!)

5. sig freak78

sig freak78

Great info, got sum for my 26.

6. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

Nice testing. Do you mind me asking how you make your gel?

7. Bprepared

Bprepared

I would like to see the HSTs myself, I liked the test,Now to work on your Grouping! :whistling:

8. glocknbruce

glocknbruce

nice test...thanks for posting it

9. voyager4520

voyager4520

Thanks for posting this! It's especially interesting to me because I have a newly aquired G27 AND a box of 180gr PDX1. I haven't seen HSTs for over a year, but as soon as I do I'm gonna snatch them up.

10. BurkGlocker

I buy 20 boxes of Knox gelatin (at the local supermarket), it comes with 4 packages each box. I put 19 packages into a bucket ( i save one package when I have to reconstitute the gelatin) and pour a gallon and a half of H2O in and start mixing (mind you, it starts to get a little stiff when it starts to 'bloom' so I mix with a power drill and a paint mixer attachment.) The gelatin is REALLY sticky so you have to either scrape it all off or jsut leave the residule to the gelatin gods (I actually take my time to scrape as much of it off as I can, or save some of the H2O to rinse the mixer off). After it 'blooms' you put the bucket in a sink filled with hot water (or into a large pot and put it on low heat on the stove top, which then, ou have to keep stirring the mixture) and the gelatin will start to liquify. When it completely liquifies, you pour it into the mold of your choosing, and in my case, I bought a plastic bread box that is 14x5x5" and is just about the perfect size for testing pistol rounds. I spray Pam into the mold as a release agent, but you do have to turn the mold over and literally shake the gelatin out of the mold (if this is the one that you use). I have thought about making another gelatin block that is 6" deep to use as a backer or catch block to give me a total of 18" of gelatin.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  11. BurkGlocker

Hey now! LOL I dont think it was tooooo bad concidering the size of the pistol and the lack of a rest. This was shot from standing and with the wind blowing 30-40 mph. I was surprised that I even got it on the paper :tongueout:.

12. BurkGlocker

The PDX1 penetrates a heckuva lot more than the HSTs do. As for Gold Dots, I never was a big fan of them. I bought them back in the day when they were selling the 50 round boxes, but when they hopped on the bandwagon and started with the 20 round civilian packs, I said, no way. You can find the PDX1 in 50 round boxes, but they are marketed as Ranger Bonded. Same bullet and from what I have read is actually loaded to a higher velocity than the PDX1 rounds. I noticed something on the PDX1 bullets that didnt expand though. There seems to be a heavy crimp on the rounds. The bullets have a deep ring right where the rim of the case was. Dont know if its a QA issue, or if that is how they (Winchester) manufacture them.

BG

13. anyplainjoe

anyplainjoe Nobody special.

thanks for the testing. have you done any testing on WWB hollow points?

14. BurkGlocker

I did a few years ago out of my 9mm, and if I didnt have anything else (such as LEO ammo) it would definately be WWB JHPs. The only tests I ever did with them though was the plywood, denim and bare gelatin tests and the WWB performed admirably. I even did some test with Federal's 9BPLE 115 gr +p+ ammo and it was to say the least, explosive. In bare gelatin, it would split it open in one shot and leave shrapnel in the 'wound'. In denim test, the bullet would hold together and expand better than I thought a 9mm could.

Here's some WWB 147 gr JHP...
    [​IMG]

Some 9BPLE...
    [​IMG]

And some 115 gr Gold Dots...
    [​IMG]

15. bambikilr

bambikilr

thanks again for your time...NO! don't stop, i don't have the time to test, so you help us all...been thinking about them for my 23...i like that they do penatrate

16. BurkGlocker

I am going to try to get out tomorrow and do the 180 grain HST testing, weather permitting. I went out today to do it, but the wind was at 30 mph with gusts to 40 mph, plus there were a couple of young yahoos out there that didnt look like they were too safe with their firearm handling practices, laughing and playing grabass while holding loaded firearms in their hands.

BG

17. remat

remat

Nice write up. Did you by chance clock them?

18. BurkGlocker

Unfortunately, no, I havent. I dont own a chronograph but have been looking at purchasing one in the hopefully not so distant future. My buddy owns one, but getting his and my schedule in sync is tough to come by, and when we do have the time to shoot the bull, we always forget to think about the chrony. I am definately interested in the speed numbers myself. I do know that the shorter barrel certainly does take away some of the umphh out of the bullets though.

BG

19. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

I am not bored at all with your test. Thank you for doing it. Can you explain how you make the gelatin?

Also, I would bet your camera has some sort of "Macro" setting that will allow much better closeup shots. Look for a Flower type symbol on the controls.

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  20. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

Great test thanks a lot. I now have switched and been using the PDX1 in my G22. Its always in stock around here. From all the tests ive seen, the pdx1 looks to be some great defensive ammo.