Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone used 135 grain ammo in 40. I reload and can get bullets pretty cheap. I also like to practice with what I carry and have found Win. Ranger 135 grain defence loads. I would like to know how the recoil is and how it compares to 180 grain bullets. Thanks

·
Registered
637 Posts
Recoil feels a little snappier to me than 180gr. With reloading you can get velocities up to 1450fps with 135gr bullets! Tons of fun to shoot though.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I remember seeing some ballistic testing, and the 135gr doesn't penetrate as well as a 180gr. It is a short fat bullet. But I wouldn't feel outgunned carrying it though!

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
I remember seeing some ballistic testing, and the 135gr doesn't penetrate as well as a 180gr. It is a short fat bullet. But I wouldn't feel outgunned carrying it though!
135gr will penetrate 11 to 12 inches, how much more would it need to penetrate to stop a threat? :dunno:

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
135 rainiers and 4.5 titegroup will shoot under 3" at 75' from a G22. i've won several glocks shooting 135s. 135s are popular with USPSA Open shooters making major with the .40.

if it were me i wouldn't get to hung up on practice loads not being the same as your carry or competition loads. most of my practice is done with a pair of MkIIIs and i've done pretty good switching over or back to centerfire.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The data I've seen shows the corbon 135 to equal the 357/125 and the federal .45 hydrashok 230 at 96% one shot stops. That would make it top stopper for caliber...at least in that old data I had.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Recoil feels a little snappier to me than 180gr. With reloading you can get velocities up to 1450fps with 135gr bullets! Tons of fun to shoot though.
That's just about equal to, or better than the 125 gr .357 S&W Magnum load that the 357 SIG is approximating. It's really not so far from the 357 Mag. with 158 gr bullets.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
It seems like it would be more than adequate for soft targets, while large and light enough to lose energy quick enough to not go through wall, after wall, after wall, after wall. I don't know enough about ballistics to say so though.

·
Registered
637 Posts
135gr will penetrate 11 to 12 inches, how much more would it need to penetrate to stop a threat? :dunno:
Ha well, shows what I know. Not to mention, the faster 135gr loads put down over 600 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle. Thats pretty nasty if you ask me.

·
Banned
18,888 Posts
I usually carry 155gr, but I've had a couple of great SD loads in 135gr that I carried before.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts